Carrera day-date AR coating peeling off - advises?

Thread: Carrera day-date AR coating peeling off - advises?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello dear wus members,
    I own my carrera day-date for half an year now and I recently noticed that on the edge of the sappfire crystal the AR coating start to peel off. I am really being careful with my watch but is this normal for a considered "high quality" watch and should I take it to the AD for a warranty claim?
    I would much appreciate your kind advises.

Regards

Re: Carrera day-date AR coating peeling off - advises?

I highly doubt this would be covered unless it is chipping off due to poor adhesion. Most likely it was scratched and unfortunately the AR coating is not as scratch resistant as the sapphire underneath.

Some love it, some hate it but it does require extra caution to keep it looking new.

Take it back. A 6 month old watch in that price range? If what you say is thrue and you are very carefull with your watch, then they must help you out. In The Netherlands even by law, but that differs per country.

Sapphire is hard. AR coatings are not nearly as hard. Usage incidents which would scratch a plastic or glass crystal will not usually scratch a sapphire crystal. But they will often scratch the AR coating. This has nothing to do with the price of the watch or the quality of manufacture. It is physics.

Damage to casing (or crystals) caused by usage is not normally covered by warranty. If you wish to pay for service, the crystal can always be replaced. But physics indicates it may happen again.

I have several watches where such damage has occurred. I used to OCD on the damage when I put on the watch. I am better now and don't If I restore them I might replace the crystals... or I might polish off the AR coating.

Sorry for your damage but wear damage to watches is inevitable. It is a fact of life.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have damage OCD. How did you get rid of yours??? lol

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Hi guys,

i am new here but i thought i would share my bad experience with AR Coating on my 10 week old 43mm Limited Edition Carrera Day/date, its "chipped"/flaking off the edge of the saphire crystal in 2 x places, my UK Jeweler where i purchased it from are replacing the watch under warranty. Which is obviously a good thing, although after reading varying posts on the net, including this forum i am expecting it to happen again. :( I can see me exchanging it for a non double sided AR Coated Carrera, which is a real shame as i really like the 43mm day/date model but it seems they all have double sided AR Coating in this size.

I don't think this is a very common thing. I don't remember reading a lot of complains about AR coating pealing off. I have 5 watches with AR coating on both sides, and I have not had any issues with any of them. It is much less resistant to scratches than the sapphire underneath, but it is stronger then regular glass.. and I do like the way the each looks with double side AR coating.

another thing is all my watches have a different hue to the AR coating. maybe there are different types of AR, and this maybe stronger??? My Calibre 1 is purple, while my Calibre 36 Flyback is just blue-ish
    Collection:
    TAG Heuer Professional
    Omega Sea Master automatic Vintage
    Breitling Colt Automatic
    Junkers GMT Aviator
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph Tachymeter
    Rolex DateJust SS
    Ball EM II Diver Green Bazel
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1
    MIDO Multifort Cronograph PVD
    Steinhart Aviation GMT
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Vintage Titanium
    TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 Steve McQueen Chronograph
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 36 Flyback

Quote Originally Posted by gossler View Post
    I don't think this is a very common thing. I don't remember reading a lot of complains about AR coating pealing off. I have 5 watches with AR coating on both sides, and I have not had any issues with any of them. It is much less resistant to scratches than the sapphire underneath, but it is stronger then regular glass.. and I do like the way the each looks with double side AR coating.

another thing is all my watches have a different hue to the AR coating. maybe there are different types of AR, and this maybe stronger??? My Calibre 1 is purple, while my Calibre 36 Flyback is just blue-ish
    OK....well i am pretty careful with my Tag and although i might've accidentally knocked it once or twice, nothing out of the ordinary for normal wear, i work in an office and never wear it at those times when you shouldn't be wearing an expensive watch...i sincerely hope that my replacement holds up better when i get it in a few days..otherwise i will definitely be changing it for another Carrera model.

Thanks for the advice...although there doesn't seem to be loads of reports or people having similar problems, there is some evidence online when you search, it could be as you say some models are more prone to this than others...

Quote Originally Posted by tonycoupe View Post
    Hi guys,

i am new here but i thought i would share my bad experience with AR Coating on my 10 week old 43mm Limited Edition Carrera Day/date, its "chipped"/flaking off the edge of the saphire crystal in 2 x places, my UK Jeweler where i purchased it from are replacing the watch under warranty. Which is obviously a good thing, although after reading varying posts on the net, including this forum i am expecting it to happen again. :( I can see me exchanging it for a non double sided AR Coated Carrera, which is a real shame as i really like the 43mm day/date model but it seems they all have double sided AR Coating in this size.
    Just Polish off AR with a jewellers cloth - done

Quote Originally Posted by Richerson View Post
    Just Polish off AR with a jewellers cloth - done
    I have read about this, but when you are spending 4000 sterling there is no way IMO you should have to be doing this!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information