Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CH80 on ice as TAG Heuer focus solely on CH1887 chronograph movement

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

CH80 on ice as TAG Heuer focus solely on CH1887 chronograph movement

Name:  Cal.1887.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  82.5 KB

TAG Heuer has decided to keep its CH80 chronograph movement on the shelf for the foreseeable future and focus purely on the CH1887, which was launched in 2010. TAG Heuer describe this move as responding more effectively to current needs.

This means that the proposed launch of the Carrera CH80 chronograph, even though the company has completed the development of the movement, will be put on ice. This will enable the grouping of all movement manufacture activities to be manufactured under one roof in the brand’s plant in Chevenez, which opened in November 2013.

The good news is, the decision will not affect production staff as they will be redeployed to TAG Heuer’s three other industrial sites in Switzerland.

The Calibre CH1887 will continue to be the movement of choice for the Carrera. It’s a movement which consists of 320 components and is equipped with 39 jewels. The integrated column-wheel movement, manufactured and assembled in the Swiss Jura, features a revamped version of the oscillating pinion originally developed by Edouard Heuer and patented in 1887, - hence the name of the movement.

This component functions as a clutch and allows the starting of the chronograph function in 2/1000th of a second. Powerful, robust and easy to maintain, the Calibre CH1887 measures 29.3 mm x 7.13 mm. Its creation gained TAG Heuer entry into the elite ranks of Manufactures in 2010, and won it the coveted “Petite Aiguille” prize at the Geneva Watchmaking Grand Prix. Earlier this week we reported on the launch of the, it has to be said, very good looking Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph Monaco Grand Prix Limited Edition.

Visit the TAG Heuer website

Re: CH80 on ice as TAG Heuer focus solely on CH1887 chronograph movement

The 1887 is the best of their watches, IMHO.
    devilmoon likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

v v v Click to visit my channel v v vHidden Content
    ^^^Click to visit my channel^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    Not this again......

You're right. I'll shut up. I was trying to be funny :)

G-Shock: "...Unlike most watches made today, digital or analogue, it is not a celebration banner of the wearer's ego, but as a tool it serves silently and reliably, without fanfare or special attention. It is this authenticity which prevents its exclusion from the class of "real" wristwatches, indeed perhaps being the most real of them all. " - Carlos Perez for Timezone,2002
    v v v Click to visit my channel v v vHidden Content
    ^^^Click to visit my channel^^^

Can someone shine a little light on TAG's decision? I don't understand why they would go to the trouble of creating a new movement and not use it. Is the new movement not ready? Is it cheaper to keep going with the 1887?

It could simply be a case of too many orders for the 1887 models.
    Remember:
    The production is set up as either/or, with the possibility of switching to the other easily.
    The Basel watches were not production models.

In other words, I am not certain if there would've been a watch you could buy after the Basel show.
    Following from that, if actual orders of 1887 watches is such that it leaves little room for CH80 movements, the current setup might just not be suitable for producing a serial production watch.

I also get the feeling that with Zenith killing their 3 hand movement that the new regime wants to use the El Primero for their "premium" chrono and possibly using the 1887 in other LVMH watches.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    It could simply be a case of too many orders for the 1887 models.
    Remember:
    The production is set up as either/or, with the possibility of switching to the other easily.
    The Basel watches were not production models.

In other words, I am not certain if there would've been a watch you could buy after the Basel show.
    Following from that, if actual orders of 1887 watches is such that it leaves little room for CH80 movements, the current setup might just not be suitable for producing a serial production watch.
    I dont think its too many orders. It probably more of a problem with too many MODELS and forcing them down retailers' throats.

My point that got lost in the background.

The factory set up only allows x number of movements to be made.
    If the number of 1887 powered watches is close to x, the remainder might not be enough to support a new model line.

Factor in the following:
    Nearly all if the Carrera line uses the 1887.
    There was no production watch that could have been ordered at Basel.

What it suggests is that either they were always a little iffy on its release as a model line

Or

Their idea of a single production line that can be quickly switched over is actually hugely flawed as the numbers they deal with, in relation to their capacity means it is an either/or situation and not nearly as flexible as they originally thought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information