Discontinued Watches

Thread: Discontinued Watches

Discontinued Watches

What does it mean when a manufacturer discontinues a model? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Will it make the watch more valuable because they don't make it anymore? Will it make it more difficult to service since they don't make it anymore?

Re: Discontinued Watches

I wouldn't consider a discontinued watch to be more valuable unless it was a limited edition. Discontinued watches are sometimes blown out at highly discounted prices which may have an immediate effect on value (especially if you bought it before it was discontinued).

You can, however, get a nice watch at a great price if you don't care about it being a current model.

Watch parts should be available for many years so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Last edited by Wisconsin Proud; March 26th, 2009 at 23:20.

most tags are using eta parts so it should be easily sourced for parts.
    Yee olde box of watches:
    Tag Aquaracer (blue waffle face)
    Orient CFT00002M (orange skele face)
    Casio G-Cool (GT-000), prt-40, and a 18 year old casio (DW-1100),
    casio GWM-5600-1.

I never cared for being "on top" with the latest of the latest. I MUST like what I purchase, no matter what. And I usually never want to get rid of it. I love the fact my 2000 auto has become hard to find. To this date, I have only seen someone wearing one like mine once in my life, since I bought it in 1999.
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Smile Re: Discontinued Watches

I buy a watch because I really like the look and quality. I never consider getting a newer one because of the watches age, only due to the desire to have that other watch (my wife rolls her eyes and doesn't understand why anyone would want more than one watch). ;)

Quote Originally Posted by GISuprise View Post
    What does it mean when a manufacturer discontinues a model? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Will it make the watch more valuable because they don't make it anymore? Will it make it more difficult to service since they don't make it anymore?
    Hi, my favorite watch is my 1989 Tag Heuer with a glow dial. As long as you feel you paid a fair price and you like the watch, that is all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by GISuprise View Post
    Well, since I just read your other thread asking if 50% off the Aquaracer Auto Chrono Day/Date was a good deal...

It means you can get deep discounts on new watches. Just making room in our inventory for the new models. Most of Tag's models simply receive a mild facelift with bracelet/bezel/etc. details being slightly changed. Occasionally they will do a more thorough change, as the Aquaracer is receiving for the 2009 model.

Honestly, your watch is worth what you pay for it. Those who bought the watch at full retail should have it insured for that full amount, so if anything happened they would get $2700? vs. $1350? that you paid. But you're both wearing the same watch, so...at this point, it's to your benefit that you have fallen in love with one of the discontinued models. You won't be purposefully trying to lose the watch so in the meantime you get to enjoy the same watch the other guy paid 50% more for. There won't be any issues anywhere in the near future with parts not being available or anything like that.

With certain specialty or hard to find models, it can give the secondhand market a boost that it is no longer available in stores. Time will tell if this watch will attract that much attention, but hey...you want it because you like it, so until then just enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJF2050 View Post
    I buy a watch because I really like the look and quality. I never consider getting a newer one because of the watches age, only due to the desire to have that other watch (my wife rolls her eyes and doesn't understand why anyone would want more than one watch). ;)
    I hear the phrase '...more watches than arms...' constantly thanks to my friends! :)
    Rolex Oysterdate Precision
    Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Tag Heuer Monaco
    Sinn Flieger 103 Ti Ar
    Tissot PRC100 Chronograph Auto
    Tissot PRC200 Chronograph Quartz

I am looking for a Grand Seiko SBGF017. It has been discontinued and very difficult to find in the US. Seen it on foreign site and grey market. Too complex a situation to deal with for an expensive watch.

Wow, that's quite a necrobump.

Thread Information