hour hand alignment slightly off - wab2010

Thread: hour hand alignment slightly off - wab2010

-->

hour hand alignment slightly off - wab2010

I've only thought about the alignment of the minute hand relative to the second hand before - but I suddenly noticed yesterday that the hour hand is slightly out of alignment relative to the second hand. Its most obvious at 12:00 when the hour hand has not quite reached the center of the hour marker when the minute hand has. It only reaches the center of that marker when the minute hand is at about 7 or 8 minutes past the hour.
    How common a problem is this (anyone else with a wab2010 or 2011 have this issue?) - and do I have to put up with it or can it be sorted out quite easily?

Seiko Black Monster
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAB2010

Re: hour hand alignment slightly off - wab2010

Not familiar with those model numbers but if it's not a chrono you can't really change it yourself. It takes less than 10 minutes to get it done at a store. It took me 1 day when I got mine fixed... TAG picked it up and the next day it was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by groyniad View Post
    I've only thought about the alignment of the minute hand relative to the second hand before - but I suddenly noticed yesterday that the hour hand is slightly out of alignment relative to the second hand.
    You mean hour hand is out of alignment relative to the minute hand, correct?

There's no alignment that involves the second hand on an automatic movement watch, neither minute nor hour hand align to the second hand in any way.

How common a problem is this (anyone else with a wab2010 or 2011 have this issue?) - and do I have to put up with it or can it be sorted out quite easily?
    It can be sorted out quite easily by a watchmaker. If your watch is under warranty, it would be recommended to have TAG take care of if.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    You mean hour hand is out of alignment relative to the minute hand, correct?

There's no alignment that involves the second hand on an automatic movement watch, neither minute nor hour hand align to the second hand in any way.

It can be sorted out quite easily by a watchmaker. If your watch is under warranty, it would be recommended to have TAG take care of if.

-s-
    Of course you're right - that is what I meant.

Now - I just changed the time, and before setting it, I checked the alignment of the hour with the minute hand (at 12.00 and 6.00 for example) and it was perfect! So either I'm just wrong that the hands are out of alignment - or they can be perfectly aligned when you move them round the dial with the crown, and less than perfectly aligned when powered by the movement - would that be possible?

Thanks everyone

Seiko Black Monster

Quote Originally Posted by groyniad View Post
    Now - I just changed the time, and before setting it, I checked the alignment of the hour with the minute hand (at 12.00 and 6.00 for example) and it was perfect! So either I'm just wrong that the hands are out of alignment - or they can be perfectly aligned when you move them round the dial with the crown, and less than perfectly aligned when powered by the movement - would that be possible?
    That's like 3 degrees of play in at least one direction... that doesn't sound likely, or good! I guess it would be possibel with a really old worn movement (REALLY old), but I've never seen that much play. But that doesn't mean much.

I would double check to make sure you're seeing that right (because if you bring it in and can't demonstrate it, it will be kind of pointless). If it is in fact doing it, it's not right.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    That's like 3 degrees of play in at least one direction... that doesn't sound likely, or good! I guess it would be possibel with a really old worn movement (REALLY old), but I've never seen that much play. But that doesn't mean much.

I would double check to make sure you're seeing that right (because if you bring it in and can't demonstrate it, it will be kind of pointless). If it is in fact doing it, it's not right.

-s-
    Thanks for that skoochy. I think I'm seeing things. The watch is brand new and in perfect condition. I got it directly from Amazon (not someone selling through Amazon). There doesn't seem to be any play at all in the hands when I use the crown to change the time. I think it was an optical illusion...
    Thanks again

Seiko Black Monster

Thread Information