WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I like the brand, but have problems with the prize tags. Why? I'm an Omega guy...

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  kenji1903 
#1 · (Edited)
Hy guys,

I am writing in the Tag Heuer section as I need your input to this.

I own over 20 watches (Swatch, Seiko, Casio, Certina, Tissot, Louis Erard and 4 Omega). Since I got my first Omega 3 years ago my other watches pretty much got very little wrist time.

Before I got the first Omega I was always looking at TagHeuer, at that time the Formula 1 (Quartz) due to my limited funds. At that time the base Formula 1 was around US$ 850. Now they cost like US$ 1300 and above for the same watch (new model).

Prices es increased a lot over the past 3-5 years and I have a problem paying that much for a TagHeuer when I compare them to Omega.

The weird thing is for approx. US$ 3000 I can get a automatic movement TagHeuer or a Quartz Omega and that makes me think.

Who of you had a similar "problem" when you were thinking of TagHeuer, either compared to Onega or another brand?

Your opinions are hopefully going to help me figure this one out.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi!
The prices of TAGs have risen. So have the prices of Omega. For example, I find it very difficult to justify the 2000 EUR asked by my AD for the quartz Aqua Terra, especially taking into consideration the worse aesthetics and the worse movement of the new model, compared to the old ones. Not to mention the prices of the models with cal.8500.

There are several threads comparing automatic TAG vs quartz Omega, just search google or the search function here.

I had similar dilema (automatic aquaracer vs quartz Omega SMP) and chose the automatic Aquaracer mainly for the following reasons:
- price was lower (both watches were second hand);
- ETA 2824 in my TAG (not Sellita, like in the new ones);
- much dressier look, due to the silver dial and polished steel bezel;
- better size (my TAG is 38,4 mm vs 41 mm for the SMP);
- better bracelet, both in terms of looks and comfort (thinner and nicely tapering, as it should be, with microadjustments and safety clasp).

#3 ·
Personally I cannot wear anything smaller than 40mm and even 40mm seems sometimes too small for my wrist.

I understand the automatic vs. quartz aspect and I am not looking for any quartz movements in watches anymore (well maybe the Victorinox Inox would be an exception).

But the AquaTerra is an amazing watch (I have it with the 8500) and the quality is top notch.

The problem I have with TagHeuer vs. Omega is that TagHeuer is like a well equipped VW Golf while the Omega is a lesser equipped Audi A3 I guess you guys get the point here.
So the question is, would I take the upscale Omega instead of the average TagHeuer.

#4 ·
I have never understood the car comparison.
I also don't understand the idea that quartz is inferior. I am a former owner of a LONGINES VHP and a Grand Seiko quartz and, honestly, these were the best watches I have ever had - especially the GS - superior in terms of fit and finish to any Omega I have ever handled.
However, the question is: which one do you like better and would prefer to wear?

#5 ·
As much as I love TAGs, you are inevitably paying extra for all their advertising. And for $3000 I would also consider other brands like Tudor, Breitlings, etc.

It all comes down to whether you can accept the watches for what they are. I would pick the Omega Quartz SMP over any automatic TAGs because I can accept it being a Quartz eventhough my preference is automatic.

#10 · (Edited)
As much as I love TAGs, you are inevitably paying extra for all their advertising. And for $3000 I would also consider other brands like Tudor, Breitlings, etc.
FYI
Last year Omega spent more (estimated) on page advertising in the US than TAGHeuer did and apparently, Breitling almost as much as them both combined. Also bear in mind Tudor spent less than half of TAGHeuer's estimated spend but they only officially entered the US market mid-late 2014.

I have come to realise long ago that most on WUS are far more concerned with branding than they would like to admit and the mental gymnastics some perform to say bad things about brands they don't like while ignoring the same faults with their favoured ones just goes to show it.

Going back to the OP.
All prices have gone up.

There is truth in that SwatchGroup brands, by virtue of being part of that group can undercut the retail prices of their non-SwatchGroup competitors, especially at the lower end of the market but that doesn't automatically mean that the competitor is thus over-priced, especially when we are talking about a market where everything is over-priced.
Look past branding.
Buy what you like the look of.

#6 ·
Buy used is far more a sensible option when consider buying a Tag. I paid for my 2 Tags (1887 & Cal 16) in mint condition for about 1/3 of their RRPs. Good deals (in fact, VERY) can be had for this brand but much harder for some others including Omega.

#7 ·
Just love TAGs and I never had a liking for Omegas, but recently acquired a Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller. When I got my WAN2110 nearly 2 years ago, was only SGD$2465 after a 15% discount. Now I've no idea how much it rose.

#9 ·
I own a aqua racer cap2120bb834. Prior to my purchase I checked out comparable omegas, tudors, brietlings and yes the rolex yacht master. Of course the rolex was way out of my price range, but remains my favorite watch.

For me style is important (I love the two tone watch and bracelet) and the three other watches mentioned didn't come close.

The mechanical quality is extremely important (they're all pretty much the same or very close) a purchase of over $2000.00 pretty much assures one of a quality movement.

To quote one of our forum members "buy what you like and like what you buy".

#11 ·
I agree with you that many buy certain brands to, let's face it and be honest, show off what they wear. At the same time I would say, that someone wearing a Panerai vs. a Rolex will result in 99,99% not even knowing what Panerai is and how expensive they are nowadays (and how hip they are). Most will think it's a very affordable watch. But wear a Rolex and you are branded, in both a negative and positive way. Everyone know RLX.

Omega and TagHeuer are somehow different positioned, Omega a little more upscale but both brands with some new and/or advanced technology when compared to RLX or Panerai.

Marketing of all brands is a big factor, the more you spend on it (if done in the right way and smart) the better the brands position is and the better know they are and ultimately the more watches they sell.

My problem is not that I don't like TagHeuer or that I don't think they are not interesting and high quality watches, my problem are the prices compared to Omega.

Regarding Tudor, I have started to look at the brand a bit more in the past 2 weeks and as I mostly like Dive watches the Black Bay and the Pelagos both fit my taste. Prices are kind of reasonable compared to other brands, especially to RLX itself. The thing is, the Tudor despite having heritage and history cannot really compete openly with Rolex as mother company as they are not allowed. The best thing about Tudor is (in my opinion) that their quality is 100% as RLX with half or even less the price!

And Tudor compared to RLX is allowed to be more innovative when it comes to design and technology, I guess that's their what makes them stand out and hopefully will continue in the future. I see good potential with Tudor that they will grow beyond their current position and prices will increase in the future in a higher rate than RLX does already.

Let's see.

#12 ·
As individuals we all have different perceptions of value. These perceptions in the watch world are colored by things like brand perception, movements, resale, design etc. It is hard to make a broad statement like this about Tag Heuer as they have a wide range of models, some of which may be overpriced, while some others offer IMO offer incredible value. I will give you a personal example. I was reading my most recent watchtime magazine where they reviewed the new Omega Speedmaster. I was quite surprised to learn that although this was a Co Axil movement etc, it is still a modified ETA movement. They want over 8k for this watch and in my opinion a Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 for 2-3k less would be much better value. On the flip side someone may feel the horilogical history and iconic status of the Speedy is more important and it is the much better value. Neither opinion is right or wrong. We all love different things, and value things differently and that is great. My core collection has watches that range from $200 to 8k and I get enjoyment out of all of them. Consider what is important to YOU. Buy what YOU love and wear it well.

#14 ·
I kinda do but kinda don't understand the car comparison. I think that you're trying to say VW is asking top dollar for what is still an average car, but really how much better is the Audi? Both have their attractive points, but I don't think you can say hands down one is always better than the other. Individual priorities are the biggest factor, so determining what's best is up to person buying the car. Our opinions are just opinions. If you put a Golf fan and an A3 fan together, they're not going to agree which is better.

Personally I'm not so sure that I would take a Quartz Omega over a Tag just because of brand name alone. It definitely depends on which models and what factors are important to you.

#15 ·
The weird thing is for approx. US$ 3000 I can get a automatic movement TagHeuer or a Quartz Omega and that makes me think.
I'ts apples and oranges, if you ask me..
What particular models are you comparing at that price point?

For example:
In 2012, I bought a TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M automatic (Sellita movement) and paid € 1500 for it.
In 2012, my wife bought an Omega Constellation (steel/steel) with a quartz movement and paid € 1900 for it.

Two very different watches, with different prices.
Who had the better deal, in your eyes..?

By the way, that same year I bought an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and paid € 2400 for it (€ 1000 discount). Now that's a good deal, IMHO [emoji6].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.