The Monaco Club - Page 16
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: The Monaco Club

Page 16 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast
    Bedside desk
    Attached Images Attached Images

JonS1967 likes this.
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Re: The Monaco Club

Hello all,

I must confess I never imagined myself a timepiece person. I’m the sort that washes my hands before meals but keeps them dirty enough to know where I came from. Timex would have done the job except there was that one watch….isn’t that always the way?

As a boy I can remember ABC’s Wide World of Sports covering racing, the Monaco Grand Prix, with all the livery colors of the Martini and Rossi and those roaring Ferrari engines. I can remember the one 19 inch TV in the living room and sitting as close to the one speaker as I could get, catching the visceral attacking sounds as the frail framed cars climbed into daylight from the parking deck ramp into the bus stop before dropping the hammer around the harbor. It is funny sometimes how memories work; I couldn’t tell you WHAT I saw on screen but I can tell you how it made me feel to SEE it.

Fast forward most of my life and now I train people to do that very thing. The 10 year old me would be VERY happy with my chosen vocation in professional racing. A nasty divorce pushed me to decide that this would be MY time and the Rolex money I’d set aside for her watch would now be for MY timepiece.

Enter Steve McQueen. The name is synonymous with timeless cool. Not in that fad-way but in the manner that only cool jazz and hot cars can stay in fashion without ever being forefront in culture. His watch, the only one that mattered, happened to be my favorite as well. Research, research, research. I didn’t want the Calibre 17, I wanted the 12. Heck, I’d love the 11 but that was a “bit” pricey!

This past week I made MY time complete. CAW2111 6183 complete with the skeleton back and Calibre 12 movements and purchased from an AD in the DC area. I intend to wear it every day. On track, in and out of some amazing machines. So it gets scratched or worn, it was made to LIVE, not to idle.

As William Shedd once said “A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for”.

Long live the Monaco. 40 years after LeMans changed cinematography, I get to own a small part of history. Please add me to the owner's circle (or in this case, square).

2Y2KS
    Last edited by 2y2ks; June 16th, 2011 at 18:30.
    nurt likes this.
    Hidden Content

What matters is what hasn't been

Quote Originally Posted by 2y2ks View Post
    Hello all,

I must confess I never imagined myself a timepiece person. I’m the sort that washes my hands before meals but keeps them dirty enough to know where I came from. Timex would have done the job except there was that one watch….isn’t that always the way?

As a boy I can remember ABC’s Wide World of Sports covering racing, the Monaco Grand Prix, with all the livery colors of the Martini and Rossi and those roaring Ferrari engines. I can remember the one 19 inch TV in the living room and sitting as close to the one speaker as I could get, catching the visceral attacking sounds as the frail framed cars climbed into daylight from the parking deck ramp into the bus stop before dropping the hammer around the harbor. It is funny sometimes how memories work; I couldn’t tell you WHAT I saw on screen but I can tell you how it made me feel to SEE it.

Fast forward most of my life and now I train people to do that very thing. The 10 year old me would be VERY happy with my chosen vocation in professional racing. A nasty divorce pushed me to decide that this would be MY time and the Rolex money I’d set aside for her watch would now be for MY timepiece.

Enter Steve McQueen. The name is synonymous with timeless cool. Not in that fad-way but in the manner that only cool jazz and hot cars can stay in fashion without ever being forefront in culture. His watch, the only one that mattered, happened to be my favorite as well. Research, research, research. I didn’t want the Calibre 17, I wanted the 12. Heck, I’d love the 11 but that was a “bit” pricey!

This past week I made MY time complete. CAW2111 6183 complete with the skeleton back and Calibre 12 movements and purchased from an AD in the DC area. I intend to wear it every day. On track, in and out of some amazing machines. So it gets scratched or worn, it was made to LIVE, not to idle.

As William Shedd once said “A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for”.

Long live the Monaco. 40 years after LeMans changed cinematography, I get to own a small part of history. Please add me to the owner's circle (or in this case, square).

2Y2KS
    Inspiring story dude, you didn't happen to get the watch from Tiny Jewel Box? It's the only AD I know in DC.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Hidden Content

It was one of those "must haves." You know what I mean.

Gents,

I have been reading on this forum off and on for a few months.

The last few months I have been considering the Tag Monaco range, however feeling a bit lost at the moment.

25 years old, first major watch purchase was a Baume and Mercier Classima - 8592 - Baume et Mercier - automatic Men's watch date

Except with a black face.

I am finding the Monaco range a little confusing, I understand and appreciate that the watches available in stores are either re-releases of earlier watches or new models.

Any advice for someone thinking about getting one of these beautiful watches? I am leaning towards the classic blue.

With thanks for your help.

Basically, the Caliber 12 models are the current standard TAG Monacos. They come in all black, black w/grey subs, and blue with silver subs.

As far as re-releases, Limited production/limited edition Monacos are the 40th anniversary (2010, blue dial), Gulf editions, Calibre 11 grey dial and other with the "Heuer" name on the dial.

you didn't happen to get the watch from Tiny Jewel Box? It's the only AD I know in DC.
    Thanks, no I actually got it from King Jewelers in Alexandria. Nice people and very helpful. I think I knew more of the Monaco heritage than they did but they were very encouraging and not at all high pressure. Refreshing to deal with.

Wondering if it was you Cowboy I saw in Charles Town WV about a month ago having dinner. Can't imagine there are too many blue face chrono Monaco's floating around the "DC metro" area. Maybe wrong though...

2Y2KS
    Hidden Content

What matters is what hasn't been

Quote Originally Posted by 2y2ks View Post
    Thanks, no I actually got it from King Jewelers in Alexandria. Nice people and very helpful. I think I knew more of the Monaco heritage than they did but they were very encouraging and not at all high pressure. Refreshing to deal with.

Wondering if it was you Cowboy I saw in Charles Town WV about a month ago having dinner. Can't imagine there are too many blue face chrono Monaco's floating around the "DC metro" area. Maybe wrong though...

2Y2KS
    Na, it wasn't me, I haven't been to wv since two years ago. I haven't seen blue faced monacos either or the black one and racer.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Hidden Content

just put a deposit on a Grey Monaco Heuer Vintage...

so damn excited i cant wait until the mid of next month to get paid and pick up this bad boy!!

got it from a TAG store in Sydney too for a very reasonable price =D

i can finally jointhe club

Quote Originally Posted by issey.miyake View Post
    just put a deposit on a Grey Monaco Heuer Vintage...

so damn excited i cant wait until the mid of next month to get paid and pick up this bad boy!!

got it from a TAG store in Sydney too for a very reasonable price =D

i can finally jointhe club
    You'll like it alot!

Page 16 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information