WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

My new Tag Heuer 980.021N diver

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Boneventura 
#1 ·
Hi Watchuseek,

The is my newest find! A Tag Heuer 980.021N Quartz diver in two-tone. Im planning to clean this up, maybe polish it and put it on a new strap or bracelet. Just wondering if anybody can give me some tips on parts. First idea is to replace the crystal and the crown. I found a sapphire crystal on Ebay but its suited for the 980.020. Will this also fit the 980.021N?

Thnx a lot! Som pictures of course (small because they are from the sales add).

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, I can trace it back to the catalog of 1990. In this year the dial says 'T SWISS MADE T' and in the years after it just says 'SWISS MADE'. But I'm not sure. I paid almost $300 incl shipping. Is that reasonable? And as for replacing: I dont like mineral, too much scratches. So I want sapphire in it. As for the crown, the gold is blattering off. Dont like that very much. But, you're right, my usual watchmaker will look at it first. See what he has to say.

#5 ·
I'm not 100% on the use of the 980.020 crystal in what you have (980.021).
The two models use a different watch-head/case and I have no idea if the crystal are interchangeable.

How is the movement in yours?
If I recall correctly, this is one model where the ETA 2836/2824 is a direct drop in replacement if you so desire.

#6 ·
Really?? But a quartz dial doesn't fit an auto dial, or does it? The dial feet are in a diffrent place and the datewheel is usually more to the left. Or does ths only apply to Omega SMP's? My knowledge comes mostly from a few seamaster pro's I had restored.

Would be someting to consider though. I still have a 2824 from an old Tissot.

But to answer your question: the quartz movement still runs great. And in the meanwhile I found that the 980.020 is smaller then the 980.021. So the crystal won't fit is my conclusion.

#7 ·
The 2-89 stamp TAG put on the movement indicates the movement went into inventory in Feb of 1989.

Reactions: Boneventura
#11 ·
It is an ETA quartz. Dr. Ranfft's movement archive has it no doubt (google to find).

#13 ·
Bump :)

This project got a little delayed. But in the meanwhile I found most parts I need. Crystal, crown, hands. What I don't have yet is the gasket and a crown tube. BMWfreak gave me very usefull info on the gasket, it must be L shaped. But cousings has a wide range of sizes. Could anyone tell me wich one I need for the 31mmx2.5mm crystal? Furthermore, I'm not sure wich crown tube I need. The crown is 5.22mm x 4.2mm, screw down. Thanx so much for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.