Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problem with my Aquaracer WAN 2110...advice please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with my Aquaracer WAN 2110...advice please.

Good day everyone,

Love my one and only TAG but recently it's been giving me some trouble and I'm wondering if this is normal. I've only begun wearing my watch 24/7 now that I'm wearing long sleeves due to the winter season. Prior to that I wouldn't wear the watch to work for fear of picking up scratches or worse, a few dings. The watch fully wound (40+ turns) will after 10 days or so, quit completely or slow down up to 4 hours overnight. It's as though the automatic winding mechanism isn't working properly. I am reluctant to send it in as I'm concerned about damage in transit or while being handled at the repair centre. Is it normal to have to rewind an automatic watch after 10 days of 24/7 use or should I have it sent in by my AD to the repair centre?

Appreciate any advise..
    Last edited by stryker58; January 2nd, 2013 at 14:31.
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300m JDM Citizen Promaster PMX56-2812

RDK

Re: Problem with my Aquaracer WAN 2110...advice please.

Hello Stryker,

To be honest, I don't understand your story quite well. You said that you wound the watch manually (40+ turns) and that it stops / slows down after 10 days (?!)
    If the automatic winding mechanism is defective, your watch should stop working (without manually winding it again) after 48 hours , not after 10 days.

It seems to me like there is a problem with the winding mechanism, but not constantly. When you shake your watch, do you hear the rotor spinning?
    If not, that explains why your watch stops running after some time. Maybe a screw or jewel inside your watch came loose and is blocking the rotor?

Anyway, your watches behaviour is not normal. I own 3 automatic watches and have never experienced any similiar problems.
    My advice is to go to an AD if the watch is still under warranty. If not, I would take it to a competent watchmaker.
    Your Aquaracer has an ETA 2824-2 (or Sellita SW200) movement which is not too difficult to repair and/or service.

Good luck, keep us posted please!

Cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by RDK; January 2nd, 2013 at 15:22.
    Automatic:
    TAG Heuer Link CJF2110.BA0594 / TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M WAJ2111.BA0870 / Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2200.50.00

Quartz:
    Breil Milano BW0491 / Favre-Leuba Byblos

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You got it right. After 10 days or so and always overnight, I wake up to find the watch that I'm wearing stopped or still ticking but the time slowed down by several hours.

Manual winding is smooth and I can feel a gradual tightening as I turn and as far as hearing a noise when shaking the watch the answer is yes but not always.

Its still under warranty (only 6 months old) and my AD said they would have to send it out. My concern there is the watch coming back scratched or dinged due to rough handling. Now I know that what is happening isn't normal and I should consider having it sent in.

Thanks again!

There is no problem. Your activity just isnt enough to keep it wound forever. Occasionally, autos' power reserve will run low. Just wind it again about 50 turns and off you go.

By the way, the rotor doesnt free spin like the Calibre 16 because it winds in both directions so I doubt you will hear it spin.

RDK

Hi Stryker,

No thanks
    It seems that indeed the rotor is stuck (but not always).

I share your concern about sending it in for repair since I read some horror stories (scratched watch / dust particles under the crystal) after servicing.
    Another piece of advice: before you go to your AD, take some close up photo's of your watch.
    When handing it over to your AD, examine the watch together with him/her so both of you know the condition it is in before shipping.

Good luck, let's just hope for the best!

Cheers,
    Rob

EDIT
    After reading Wisconsin Proud's post: how about putting your Aquaracer on a winder for 10 days? If it still stops or slows down after that period,
    there is definitely something wrong with the automatic winding mechanism. If not, your activities may indeed be insufficient to keep your power
    reserve up (like WP stated).
    You said you wear yours 24/7. What kind of work do you do?

FYI I own a Calibre 5 (Aquaracer 500M). When I wear it for 15 hours a day (of which 8 hours in an office job), I never encounter power reserve issues.

Another question: did you have problems before wearing it 24/7, or did you not notice any problems because you had to manually wind it anyway?
    Last edited by RDK; January 2nd, 2013 at 16:56.
    Automatic:
    TAG Heuer Link CJF2110.BA0594 / TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M WAJ2111.BA0870 / Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2200.50.00

Quartz:
    Breil Milano BW0491 / Favre-Leuba Byblos

I tend to agree with RDK that I have a partially stuck rotor as I doubt I'm not active enough. I'm a postal worker loading and unloading my own truck, driving (steering wheel), delivering parcels and walking to deliver mail. Very good advise about taking close up pics of my watch before sending it out, will have to get my photo taking skills up to snuff first. ;)

Before wearing it 24/7 it was impossible to notice a problem because I expected it to stop working because I don't have an auto-winder but I was surprised to see it stop after 10 days wearing it 24/7 including at work and while sleeping.

Badger Man has it right... the problem is most likely your wrist does not move enough to provide a full power reserve. Nothing you said makes me think otherwise.

This is a common problem. Folks think because a watch is self winding, just wearing it will keep it wound. You need an active lifestyle for this to be true. Most of us nowadays work on computers. Watch how much wrist movement you have while typing
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hello Stryker,

I'm experiencing the same with my Aquaracer WAP2010. Till recently the watch never stopped. Putting it on in the morning before leaving the house and taking it off after work was sufficient to keep it running. Recently it's dying about once a week in the early morning and I have to wind it. I'm currently on a three-week holiday so I figured that my activity just wasn't enough to keep it wound. Of course I'm concerned and I hope that the issue will be gone when I return to the office next week... I also thought of having it checked but I'm sharing your concerns about sending it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Badger Man has it right... the problem is most likely your wrist does not move enough to provide a full power reserve. Nothing you said makes me think otherwise.

This is a common problem. Folks think because a watch is self winding, just wearing it will keep it wound. You need an active lifestyle for this to be true. Most of us nowadays work on computers. Watch how much wrist movement you have while typing
    All due respect Eeeb, you couldn't have read my comment about what I do for a living. I don't work in an office typing a keyboard. Its physical work sorting mail and parcels, loading and driving a truck and delivering mail. That might not turn everyone's crank but it should be enough to wind my watch.

In the meantime I'm practicing my macro photography to get some reference for the AD before sending it in.

Thanks for commenting d.hefft and please let us know if anything changes after your vacation is over.

Honestly, I think you are wasting your time and possibly making it worse by opening the watch.

Fact is, for about 8 hours you are not building any reserve when sleeping and while working you may not be making up for the 8 hours dorment time. As each day goes by, the reserve drops and eventually it dies overnight after several days.

Fact is, it has never stopped on your wrist so you know it is winding while you work.

I will offer you my personal experience. i keep my autos on a winder but on occasion this, too, is not enough to keep a watch running forever. maybe a couple times a year they will die.

I suggest giving your watch a full wind every 10 days or so rather than having it torn a part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information