The Problem with the Swiss Watch Industry - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The Problem with the Swiss Watch Industry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: The Problem with the Swiss Watch Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Timer7 View Post
    I see what you mean. It feels sort of insulting to know that you have to pay a certain amount for something that is priced with a ridiculous markup.

In all honesty, you would get more satisfaction from a quality bracelet that is more affordable. Yes, it won't be from Tag, but you will buy it knowing:

a) it's still quality (perhaps not to the extent of Tag Heuer, yet still quality nonetheless)
    b) you will be buying into the ethos of what is likely an emerging brand, rather than fuelling corporate greed

I did a search on Google and saw the strap of the Tag. I couldn't find anything that resembles the blue strap with red stitching. However, I found this one and I think it would look quite nice

Attachment 10946602
    Thanks. That is a decent option.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ard

I hope you can find a satisfactory substitute, I have a genuine crocodile strap on my Carrera that didn't cost that much. It isn't a Tag strap and I use a HR butterfly deployment clasp not a Tag. I'd have a tag clasp but they are cost & common sense prohibitive. I don't know haw everyone feels about these accessory prices but I'll give 2K for a watch but not 500 for a watch strap.
    Last edited by Ard; March 9th, 2017 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I hope you can find a satisfactory substitute, I have a genuine crocodile strap on my Carrera that didn't cost that much. It isn't a Tag strap and I use a HR butterfly deployment clasp not a Tag. I'd have a tag clasp but they are cost & common sense prohibitive. I don't know haw everyone feels about these accessory prices but I'll give 2K for a watch but not 500 for a watch strap.
    Thanks, I agree with you. I don't mind paying a bit of money for the watch, but the price of accessories, which are clearly not made by the brand themselves but would be outsourced for a few pounds and then sold on for huge mark-ups to people who have already spent big sums on the watch. It doesn't show loyalty to those who have already spent a lot. It's more of a "let's see what else we can get out of this sucker". Other industries do the same (eg rubber floor mats in new cars) but still frustrates.

I was quoted $500USD from my local TAG boutique for the rubber strap for my Aquaracer. No way I'm paying that but it is annoying because its a 21mm fit and decent third party options are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by climbsmountains86 View Post
    I was quoted $500USD from my local TAG boutique for the rubber strap for my Aquaracer. No way I'm paying that but it is annoying because its a 21mm fit and decent third party options are hard to find.
    That's insane!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timer7 View Post
    I see what you mean. It feels sort of insulting to know that you have to pay a certain amount for something that is priced with a ridiculous markup.

In all honesty, you would get more satisfaction from a quality bracelet that is more affordable. Yes, it won't be from Tag, but you will buy it knowing:

a) it's still quality (perhaps not to the extent of Tag Heuer, yet still quality nonetheless)
    b) you will be buying into the ethos of what is likely an emerging brand, rather than fuelling corporate greed

I did a search on Google and saw the strap of the Tag. I couldn't find anything that resembles the blue strap with red stitching. However, I found this one and I think it would look quite nice

Attachment 10946602
    £6 from eBay. I know it's not the highest quality but, I wanted to see if I liked it before spending more on a better quality NATO. Seems ok though and I think it looks good. Colours match well. Certainly a better option that spending 40x the price on the Tag one.

dZeak, Dougiebaby and rickpal14 like this.

I think it looks great!! Nicely done!

I must say I agree with your sentiment, it is why a lot of internet brands are doing very well nowadays, and why companies like breitling are trying to appeal to young people more through massdrop etc.

Based on my experience I have a couple of the Omega NATO straps that I switch between when I wear my speedmaster and I find that the quality and comfort is way much better than 8 of the previous 12-20 dollar natos I use to purchase. although, I agree the price shouldn't be as high as they are. however, we are buying the brand recognition that comes with it and at the same time it just feels weird wearing a 12 dollar strap on a watch you spent few thousand or more on. This is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information