An S25.706C Story
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lostplanet

Thread: An S25.706C Story

A Senna S25.706C Story

A Senna S25.706C Story

Here’s a sad story I thought I would share with fellow Tag Heuer enthusiasts.
    My father worked for Mclaren for over 10 years. In that time he has worked with many of the great drivers including, the greatest in my opinion, Ayrton Senna.

As a joke one day he asked Ayrton to swap watches with him if he won the 1993 world championship. Unfortunately Senna didn’t win but did wear the watch through the Monaco GP which he won and arguably Senna’s greatest race in the wet at Donnington in a poor performing Mclaren MP4/8.

At the end of the season in front of several other staff at Mclarens headquarters in Woking, Senna gave My dad his watch, a Tag Heuer S25.706C with modified brown leather strap. I think Senna would have been overjoyed to receive the Casio my dad was probably wearing.

I remember my dad coming home with the watch and couldn’t believe what he had. Being around racing all my life you hear of things like this happening and it all seems so usual, but I didn’t really appreciate how much of a fantastic thing this was to have happened.

When Senna was killed the watch had a strange aura around it.
    Of course this was an actual item owned by the man and very valuable to us but also served as a stark reminder that he was gone and would never be around to joke with about the watch again.

For several years my father wore the watch on several occasions and eventually the battery went flat. He was so worried about the watch being lost or stolen whilst being repaired he rarely had the battery changed. Also due to vibration we believe that the small digital dial went black and again never pursued getting it fixed.

We ended up in some financial difficulty in the early 2000’s and decided to get the watch valued by Bonham’s not only for insurance purposes but possibly put it up for auction.

It seemed like a good idea to me to auction the watch around the 10th anniversary of Senna’s death and although we were in need of money I knew he really didn’t want to sell the watch. Being new to dealing with anything of any real value we were not completely sure of the procedures taken by Bonham’s agents.

Sadly I pushed for the watch to be sold as all I saw it as at the time was a nice watch with some history.

I made up an authentication page with some pictures and we got it signed by Joe Ramirez. Once the watch had gone to auction no body asked for it so I still have it here.

Midway through the value process the watch ended up being put on the list at a Monaco auction where it was sold for what I consider a small amount for such a special item. Convieniently it sold very close to the reserve value that bonham's suggested.

We were very saddened to see it go as my father couldn’t really afford to pay the fees Bonham's wanted to get the watch back from the list so in a way he was forced to go through with it.

A few years later we heard that the watch had be sold again to an American for a considerably higher price. These things happen and it’s not until something has gone that you really realize how special it was. After further discussion it appears thet he did get well and truly shafted by Bonham's.

It’s probably more my fault that the watch is gone and when I think of what I could of held in my hands anytime, a small piece of motor racing history, it guts me to think I will never see it again.

It also hurts even more when I think how my father must feel at what really is a great loss. Because I now know that the money was never important but the gesture from one person to another was.

Because the watch was so special my dad asked for another S25.706C to be supplied in the same specification as senna's watch, he still has that today.
    I will add some pictures of this watch for interest value now we have a half decent camera.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by lostplanet; September 4th, 2008 at 21:18.
    Mido likes this.

Re: A Senna S25.706C Story

This is a good example of why folks in the Vintage group advise against posters who want to sell heirlooms... You sell at wholesale and usually can't ever get them back.

Of course I suspect we all have had a case of seller's remorse at some point... The point is the remorse is usually a lot worse for watches that have a special personal connection.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

You are so right, I would rather have lost our house than have seen this be sold now.
    For anybody else, learn from this. That empty feeling in your guts is real painful and doesn't get better with time. The only thing I think that could be worse is if it had been stolen.

Amazing story. I am a Brazilian myself, therefore I have a special love for Senna. I have always been very proud of wearing a TAG HEUER.

My suggestion is.. don't perpetuate the pain you feel for your loss ! Move on ! Get yourself a new model TAG HEUER. You will have the Senna one in memory with a lot of love, and you'll be loyal to the brand that built in you the passion for watches, wearing a watch that you'll also enjoy a lot.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing the story.

Enrico
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

There is one of these watches as worn by Senna in the Tag Heuer museum- maybe this is your watch?

I hope that it is- you may feel a bit better knowing that your watch is in a museum where it can be enjoyed by all of those who love Senna and Tag, rather than sitting in a safe of a trader waiting to on-sell for a profit.

Send me a PM and I will pass on the details of the lady who looks after the Museum

Inactive

Re: An S25.706C Story

I have a ducati Senna edition. platinum finish, red wheels. I only bought it because of what the Senna foundation does. Its money well spent. I meet the man a few time during my racing career on bikes.He was a well respected man. also one heck of a racer. I used to go watch the races anytime him and nigel mansel were running.

Thread Information