Thread: Scuba Diving with Aquaracer Calibre S?

Scuba Diving with Aquaracer Calibre S?

What's everyone's experience diving with the Aquaracer Calibre S?

I know it's rated to 300M, but last year on my dive trip I had issues with the crown getting accidentally pushed and it took on water - starting as a mist, which quickly rotted out the guts. Now that it's been replaced and working like a champ I'm a little hesitant to take it diving...

I can't seem to replicate it on dry land, but what I saw was the mode was changed from either clock to chrono mid-dive. My assumption is that I had it low on my wrist and as I flexed my wrist I was depressing the crown enough to switch modes. But again, I can't make it happen on dry land.

I think I'm smart enough not to push the buttons while submerged (though no guarantees! ) but is the depression of the crown a "seal breaker" that would flood the watch? Has anyone else had this problem?

My guess is yes, and hence my hesitation.

I suppose if I'm wearing a wetsuit I can expand the bracelet and strap it up higher so it's not low on my wrist, but I'm leery to take the risk.

Re: Scuba Diving with Aquaracer Calibre S?

The only TAGHeuer which allows use of the pushers (accidental or deliberate) while under water is the Aquagraph... indeed it is one of the very very few watches in existence which allows underwater use of the pushers. So everyone will experience the problem you describe unless they are wearing Aquagraphs.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks Eeeb, that is what I suspected. It's disappointing and I wish I could pin down the move that causes the crown depression so it doesn't happen again, but I don't want to take that chance to have it flood again.

Since I don't dive enough I won't invest in an Aquagraph (today...) maybe a Seiko or something similar with a canteen type crown cover.

Are you using the watch as your ONLY timing source or are you using it to to say "hey, I have a dive watch"? I giggle a little when i see divers with these computers on their arm and then they strap on some dive watch to look cool.

My computer is on my console, but I'm a bit of "belt & braces" guy - I like having the backup timing, just in case...

I also like knowing the real entry/exit time and knowing the actual time while sitting on the surface.

But a little looking cool doesn't hurt either!

Scuba Diving with Aquaracer Calibre S?

Sounds like a more basic five watch with a screw down crown is probably the best way to go and leave the Calibre S to just look the part!

surely the no-brainer solution is to wear the watch higher on your wrist?

Thoughts for the day:
    the problem with the truly ignorant is that they often don't care about learning
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    surely the no-brainer solution is to wear the watch higher on your wrist?
    Indeed! Which is my plan over a wet suit, but I don't like to wear watches tightly on my wrist over bare skin and it migrates down to the bottom through movement. Plus, when in the water I'll contract a little (because it's cooler than me...) and slide down. I'd have to wear it so tight it'd be uncomfortable.

Greetings!

My husband scuba dives and likes to have a back up wrist watch as well, when doing so. He's used Helson, Swiss Army, Doxa and Breitling; all automatics and non-chronographs, without any problems. I'd suggest getting something that you wouldn't be upset about if it flooded, got lost, broken etc. At this point in time, given your desire to keep price down, I'd suggest looking at non-chronograph diver quartz models from Swiss Army, or non-chronograph diver automatics from Helson, Seiko (especially their Japanese domestic market stuff available online, which uses better movements than what they typically sell in the US; check out the 'sumo' model) and also again Swiss Army.

Keep the watches that are special to you safe on dry land.
    Last edited by grace2939; December 12th, 2012 at 19:24.

Thread Information