The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread - Page 12
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 151
  1. #111
    Member Ducati_Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seneca, SC
    Posts
    31

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Couple of pics



    notional likes this.

  2. #112
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Had an interesting chat with a guy who repairs Swiss watches for a living here in London (no names; no pack drill!); turns out that Sellita movements typically last about 18 months before breaking down, whereas ETAs fair much better. So much for the marketing hype and the extra jewel! In the wake of Swatch's decision to limit the supply of ETAs, looks like many watch manufacturers bought loads of Sellitas (before Swatch changed their minds!), so many 'upper end mid price' (if you'll pardon the term!) brands known for quality; Sinn for example, are putting these movements in their watches, and presumably will continue to do so until they've used up their stocks of Sellitas . . . Ouch!

    This was divulged to me on taking in a new diver in in to have the (profoundly vital) crown tube gasket fitted that had been left off during assembly and not spotted during QC! Not saying the make 'cos it was done under warranty and I don't want anyone to get into trouble for speaking their mind!
    Last edited by adriandavidb; July 15th, 2017 at 20:48.

  3. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidb View Post
    Had an interesting chat with a guy who repairs Swiss watches for a living here in London (no names; no pack drill!); turns out that Sellita movements typically last about 18 months before breaking down, whereas ETAs fair much better. So much for the marketing hype and the extra jewel! In the wake of Swatch's decision to limit the supply of ETAs, looks like many watch manufacturers bought loads of Sellitas (before Swatch changed their minds!), so many 'upper end mid price' (if you'll pardon the term!) brands known for quality; Sinn for example, are putting these movements in their watches, and presumably will continue to do so until they've used up their stocks of Sellitas . . . Ouch!

    This was divulged to me on taking in a new diver in in to have the (profoundly vital) crown tube gasket fitted that had been left off during assembly and not spotted during QC! Not saying the make 'cos it was done under warranty and I don't want anyone to get into trouble for speaking their mind!
    It wasn't a Sinn BTW

  4. #114
    Member notional's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington DC Area
    Posts
    544

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Wasn't a Bell & Ross, a Zodiac, Eterna or an Ocean7 either. LOL 18 months? Have one that's 6 years old and still going strong without any issue. What facts does the Londoner Swiss watch repair give to support that Sellita moments don't last as long as ETA? Heck, even ETA contributors (Eterna) even use Sellita.
    Hidden Content
    Cover your assets.

  5. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidb View Post
    Had an interesting chat with a guy who repairs Swiss watches for a living here in London (no names; no pack drill!); turns out that Sellita movements typically last about 18 months before breaking down, whereas ETAs fair much better. So much for the marketing hype and the extra jewel! In the wake of Swatch's decision to limit the supply of ETAs, looks like many watch manufacturers bought loads of Sellitas (before Swatch changed their minds!), so many 'upper end mid price' (if you'll pardon the term!) brands known for quality; Sinn for example, are putting these movements in their watches, and presumably will continue to do so until they've used up their stocks of Sellitas . . . Ouch!

    This was divulged to me on taking in a new diver in in to have the (profoundly vital) crown tube gasket fitted that had been left off during assembly and not spotted during QC! Not saying the make 'cos it was done under warranty and I don't want anyone to get into trouble for speaking their mind!
    Not my experience at all.

    Don't think repair techs are incapable of jumping to conclusions based on a more limited sample than you might realize.

    Rick "Sellita doesn't provide crown gaskets--that's the case maker's job" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

  6. #116
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Not my experience at all.

    Don't think repair techs are incapable of jumping to conclusions based on a more limited sample than you might realize.

    Rick "Sellita doesn't provide crown gaskets--that's the case maker's job" Denney
    In fairness, unless you repair watches or are involved in the industry professionally, the likelihood is that he has been exposed to more Sellita and ETA movements than the average watch enthusiast . . .

    If you do have direct professional knowledge, then fair enough
    Last edited by adriandavidb; July 15th, 2017 at 23:02.

  7. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    20

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by notional View Post
    Wasn't a Bell & Ross, a Zodiac, Eterna or an Ocean7 either. LOL 18 months? Have one that's 6 years old and still going strong without any issue. What facts does the Londoner Swiss watch repair give to support that Sellita moments don't last as long as ETA? Heck, even ETA contributors (Eterna) even use Sellita.
    In his words, he sees about 10 Sellita ETS 2824 clones for every ETA 2824, that needs repair, as opposed to just coming in for a service

  8. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidb View Post
    In his words, he sees about 10 Sellita ETS 2824 clones for every ETA 2824, that needs repair, as opposed to just coming in for a service
    We should remember that Sellita has sold their cheapest version of the SW200 to the cheapest brands, while the 2824 has been sold in much higher percentages in its more upscale versions to bigger companies with more extensive quality control. It wasn't until five or six years ago that luxury (non-Swatch Group) brands started buying Sellita movements in bulk.

    My Sellita-equipped watches have required less repair than my ETA-equipped watches, but I don't own more than one or two watches with standard-grade movements. If a watchmaker has substantive data, we should be able to evaluate what has been going wrong, the relationship to watch-company price point and QC, and any trends over time.

    Example: I have heard many American car mechanics of deep experience complain that Toyota and Honda use bolt sizes one size too small for any given task, compared to traditional American carmakers. I happen to hold that view myself, based on (professional) experience from so long ago that it is probably no longer relevant. But Toyotas are still undoubtedly more reliable than those other brands.

    And some even deeply experienced mechanics will also have deep-seated opinions about Ford versus Chevy, based as much as anything on what their pappy liked, and will color their own experience with that bias.

    There are lots of ETA movements that passed through the Sellita factory, when Sellita was doing mostly contract work for ETA. That doesn't make data any easier to interpret.

    Rick "extrapolation causes a lot of Internet FUD" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

  9. #119
    Member notional's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington DC Area
    Posts
    544

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    Okay, let's skip the repairer of watches and go right to the manufacturer who uses Sellita watches. This is what Christopher Ward had to say - https://www.christopherward.com/blog...sellita-story/ (In short, they use Sellita movements and the differences are so insignificant, that it's not even worth discussing).
    Hidden Content
    Cover your assets.

  10. #120
    Member Michael Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

    I think it's important that this argument moves away from the Selita movement looking almost identical to ETA and that for most people being able to pick the difference type arguments.

    More technical information on layman's terms should be used by those that know.

    Why?
    The arguments as they often are presented now could just as easily be used to support the purchase of game watches rather than the real Mccoy. If you can't see a perceivable difference, why buy the original?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Seiko SKX007
    Tag Aquaracer Ceramic 500 WAK2110
    Seiko Sports 5 Explorer SRP523
    Speedmaster 3570.50.00
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Oris Divers Sixty-Five Blue 42
    Casio DW5600HR-1
    Dan Henry 1970 Diver 40mm

    Other nondescript pieces


Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •