The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread - Page 2
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreb View Post
    i really dont care what movt is inside a timepiece, as long as it is from a reputable watchmaker that puts their watches to a battery of quality tests.
    Bingo. If Tag puts it in there it's probably very well made. There are so many movement snobs on these forums it's amazing. I can understand paying more for a manufacture movement if it offers better performance (ie significantly better power reserve, additional complications, perhaps even better aesthetics)...but other than that if the movement is accurate and reliable the manufacturer of the movement doesn't make a huge difference to me. I think it's hilarious when people get obsessed over slight differences in movements - esp those behind a steel caseback anyway.

My guess is the Sellita is just as good as an ETA. And that's coming from someone who owns at least 5 ETA-driven watches.

NM
    Last edited by nm4710; February 5th, 2010 at 21:21.
    Hammondo likes this.

I am no expert, but I'd say even the so called manufactures outsource a lot of parts to their watches.
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Quote Originally Posted by enricodepaoli View Post
    I am no expert, but I'd say even the so called manufactures outsource a lot of parts to their watches.
    Dr. Ranfft said Roamer made every part in its movements (down to the screws!) but they were a rare bird for doing so...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    We can continue to talk in circles about it but I'll just cut to the chase.

Companies use Sellita when they can't get a hold of an ETA or a Soprod is too expensive.
    The Swiss watch industry is one of the most conservative in the world so it would take a century to wean them off their current suppliers no matter how superior the competition.

BTW Sellita is a subcontractor for ETA. An ETA movement from ETA with ETA on it might have been made by Sellita.
    bbuckbbuck likes this.

My invicta 9937 has a sellita sw200, its running -3sec/day so far for 1 month now,,awesome watch for just $220 you cant beat that...

Quote Originally Posted by publandlord View Post
    The Swiss watch industry is one of the most conservative in the world so it would take a century to wean them off their current suppliers no matter how superior the competition.

BTW Sellita is a subcontractor for ETA. An ETA movement from ETA with ETA on it might have been made by Sellita.
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER LA OLYMPIC 323.10.40
    OMEGA SEAMASTER GMT 2234.50
    HAMILTON VIEWMATIC H32545555
    TAG HEUER AQUARACER WAB2011
    TAG HEUER F1 CAC111B-INDY 500
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1210-BLUE
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1211-BLACK
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1212-WHITE
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1213-YELLOW
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1214-ORANGE
    TAG HEUER F1 CA1215-RED
    TAG HEUER F1 WA1210-BLUE
    TAG HEUER F1 WA1215-GREEN
    INVICTA 9937c
    INVICTA 8926c

Hidden Content Hidden Content

There has been too much emphasis on the watch movement. Of course it is important to have a high quality Swiss movement ticking inside your timepiece, especially if the movement is visible through the exhibition back or even the skeletal front. However, whether or not we want to admit it, a man's watch is not so much of of a functional tool but more of an item of jewelry. Anyone can buy an expensive quartz and be happy with the superior accuracy of its time-keeping function. When we shell out hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a micromechanical engine encased in an exquisite design, it is more about art and beauty. Wearing a mechanical watch, automatic or otherwise, is about making a statement. And it would be a weak statement if the watch case, band or bracelet, material, design, and workmanship are not reflecting the statement we want to make. Except for the watch aficionado community, most people would be lost on the intricacies of movement history and minor variations between one calibre and another. At the end, as long as you have a quality movement ticking inside the watch case, it is all about how the looks and feel of the complete timepiece appeal to you and others, IMHO.

I work in Design/Engineering for manufacture and have a close friend that worked for ETA up until very recently.

Sellita are not Swiss or even based in Switzerland. They are a Chinese company that manufactures components & assembles Swiss movements. There biggest single client is ETA.

The Sellita Sw200 & ETA 2824 are almost 100% identical in aesthetic / engineering & function. The accuracy test underline this fact 100% - there is vurtually no difference of any measurable significance. Just because you have an ETA movement, supplied by ETA, with 'ETA' etched onto it does not mean that some or all of the components have been made or assembled else where.

Most of the opinions on here regarding this matter are really lacking in any technical knowledge or real understanding of how these company's operate in a commercial manufacturing sense.

I get the impression that there is a bit of snobbery connected to a movement being from ETA...because its an older, more established brand and most importantly, not based in China. This is fair enough if you are purist and insist in a 100% Swiss made watch. The very fact that ETA buy huge QTY's of parts from Sellita to populate there 2824 is an endorsement of the quality that Sellita is able to supply.

Oris now supply the majority of there diver range with Sellita movements - which in my opinion are the best Divers under $2K. Omega have Sellita manufacturing various components for there watches also.

People should also understand that even a watch manufacturer that states '100% Swiss' is still able to purchase or have third party companies based outside of Switzerland manufacture and supply them parts. most countries will allow this kind of statement if more than 60-70 of th product is either manufactured or assembled onshore. I just finished a product (admittedly not a watch) for a company that was manufactured 100% in China, but then shipped to Australia for assembly and sales. It has the green 'Australia Made' tag proudly embossed on in packaging.

Unless you are paying serious dollars for a small/limited production run (50-100) Swiss high end watch, the chances are that some if not a great many of the components tht make up your watch have come from somewhere outside of Switzerland i.e. China, Japan, Malaysia etc.

The simple fact is that the SW200 and 2824 are 99.9% identical in every respect other than there names.
    PSV, Hammondo, Perseus and 7 others like this.
    Current Everyday Watch: Citizen 100% Titanium Chronograph CA0020-56E

Yesterday I opened up a SW200 for to be regulated. FYI it was a 2010 Aquaracer 300 (WAN2111.BA0822). I noticed the movement retainer ring was plastic which I guess is a sign of the times even in a $2100 watch! The movement finish was average but not rough by any means.

The conventional wisdom has been that one mark on the regulator on a ETA 2824-2 is 5-6 seconds. The owner wanted 1 shot at regulation, replace the back and hope for the best. Since I don't own a Greiner timing machine, I agreed. The watch was gaining 5-6 second per 24 hours so I moved the regulator exactly one mark.

After 2 days the owner says it is now +/- 1 second per 24 and cannot be happier. Sometimes you just luck out! I really don't have any complaints with the SW200 since its performance seems identical to the ETA. If you own a SW200 you can also tell people "Well I have one more jewel than your ETA 2824-2!"
    Last edited by selfwind; March 22nd, 2012 at 19:58.
    nigelw and dougiedude like this.

Interesting post and I agree with most of your points. Yes, they do a lot for ETA, yes, they have made ETA movements that are branded ETA and yes, they're for all purposes the same (extra jewel here and there)

Not sure where you got your info on Sellita's ownership though. I haven't been out to see them, but have talked with them at their head office in La Chaux-des-Fonds (home of TAG Heuer). The company is owned by a Spaniard- Miguel Garcia. You can check the ownership here:

Proprietor Sellita Watch Co S.A. - Commercial register and company data
    Proprietor Sellita Holding SA - Commercial register and company data

What makes you say that they are a Chinese company?

David
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

Hidden Content

Facebook: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by selfwind View Post
    Yesterday I opened up a SW200 for to be regulated. FYI it was a 2010 Aquaracer 300 (WAN2111.BA0822). I noticed the movement retainer ring was plastic which I guess is a sign of the times even in a $2100 watch! The movement finish was average but not rough by any means.

The conventional wisdom has been that one mark on the regulator on a ETA 2824-2 is 5-6 seconds. The owner wanted 1 shot at regulation, replace the back and hope for the best. Since I don't own a Greiner timing machine, I agreed. The watch was gaining 5-6 second per 24 hours so I moved the regulator exactly one mark.

After 2 days the owner says it is now +/- 1 second per 24 and cannot be happier. Sometimes you just luck out! I really don't have any complaints with the SW200 since its performance seems identical to the ETA. If you own a SW200 you can also tell people "Well I have one more jewel than your ETA 2824-2!"
    My sw200 was running +24s a day and I was able to regulate it to +2s per day on the first try.

I like to regulate it and let it run overnight crown up (slowest position) until i get -1 or -2s in that position then on my wrist it seems to get very accurate time.

I too was shocked to see a black plastic movement ring in my LINK with an eta2895. My fraction of the price Deep Blue has a pretty metal ring even. I realize plastic probably does the job just fine and keeps the weight down but its nice to see the better quality materials. I also like more weight to my watches.

*update: results are in from my deepblue eta2824 regulation and using my method mentioned above my deep blue went from +20spd to running +0s over 24 hours crown-up(slowest position) and +1s over 12 hours dial-up (fastest position). I expect to get somewhere between 0s to +2s per day accuracy.

**Update 2: its been 24 hours and the freshly regualted watch is running 0s/day. I keep checking the minute hand to see if its correct because i cant believe its doing 0spd.

Anyway i guess my point is either sw200 or eta2824 are capable of great time keeping. Im proud to own both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by tpd80; March 23rd, 2012 at 20:40.
    nigelw, Bobbyt1959 and Phreddo like this.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information