The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread - Page 4
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Yes, I never got a reply on the "China" claim. I wonder if he was thinking of Soprod, which was Hong Kong owned until 2008?
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

Hidden Content

Facebook: Hidden Content

The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Ohhh, Chinese Swiss! Hummmmm..... well, this is the Internet so it must be true!
    This is Sellita: We have been making parts for ETA for years. We have all the equipment and manufacturing know how to build our own movements. Lets hire someone to engineer some new movements... Wait ETA's patents have run out... Lets just copy them and stick an extra jewel somewhere unneeded, Brilliant!

So again, Swiss movements with a Chinese methodology.
    DK Nguyen likes this.
    Current: Omega PO 8500 -- Grand Seiko SBGA011 Snowflake (8/14 - SOLD) -- Grand Seiko SBGX103 Quartz (5/13 - SOLD) -- Steinhart Ocean 1 Black (2/12 - SOLD)

The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Chinese methodology would include more copy than know-how ;)
    Watchbreath and JC_2012 like this.
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Quote Originally Posted by waldoh View Post
    This is Sellita: We have been making parts for ETA for years. We have all the equipment and manufacturing know how to build our own movements. Lets hire someone to engineer some new movements... Wait ETA's patents have run out... Lets just copy them and stick an extra jewel somewhere unneeded, Brilliant!

So again, Swiss movements with a Chinese methodology.
    No, the Swiss pioneered "the patents have expired -- let's make a similar movement!"... They have been doing it since the 1930s at least. The most vivid recent example I know of is the Seiko Spring Drive -- not introduced until the Swiss HPM patents expired.

The history of movements is mostly a history of evolution from previous designs...
    WmGardner likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Wait, so you are now changing your original claim that Sellita was Chinese to it simply being that Sellita copy like the Chinese.

Right, so what about that Steinhart Ocean 1 in your signature then?
    Because that is in no way a copy of a Submariner, is it?

If I used smilies, here's where I'd roll my eyes.
    DanC and Dr_Gonzo like this.
    Hidden Content

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    Hidden Content

Smile Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mychronos View Post
    My invicta 9937 has a sellita sw200, its running -3sec/day so far for 1 month now,,awesome watch for just $220 you cant beat that...

For me, the fact that this movement is used by Invicta is a detriment and not a selling point. Invicta is the, well, Invicta of watches... in the same way that Walmart is the Invicta of retailers... or Yugo is the Invicta of cars... or Coby is the Invicta of electronics.
    WmGardner likes this.

Invicta bashing should be beneath the TAGHeuer Crew! It is not nice to pick on the lame and crippled...

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

NUNYA........Somewhere on the East Side of the USA

I been wearing an SW 200 on my wrist 6 weeks removing it only to shower or to clean the watch with dish soap and an old tooth brush. I just looked when I sync'd (37 days ago) I'm -5 seconds since then. I have a good size pocket watch collection and always kept logs on their performance. My curiosity was killing me. I try to steer clear of Chinese junk myself. I am very hapy with my SW200. I'm wearing an Invicta Grand Diver 6619 Tritium, #319, Sellita SW200, with a Wachadoo Bracelet. I highly doubt its adjusted to temperature and 6 positions like a high quality pocket but it sure keeps time. I have not worn any of my Seiko Mechanicals and sold all of my Deep Blues with Miyota 8215s. Call me a cheep sob but I dont believe in spending thousands on a watch. My ETA 2824-2 in my Laco don't run that tight. So I'm curious. What's the final answer on Sellita and being Chinese?

NUNYA........Somewhere on the East Side of the USA

I agree with the Invicta remark and this is the only Invicta I have however......I must pick back on the big money....Does seem mine works as good as yours do and my wallet remains thick! You TAG SNOBS can send me one of yours with the SAME MOVEMENT any time LOL! I paid a minuscule $175 for mine its got REAL read me in the dark ability with tritium and its accurate. IT IS OF COURSE my beater or daily wear. Change oil, chop wood any and all activities where the high dollar watch would cringe......Pickin' on the Invicta "UNDERDOG" :)

Sellita SW 200 gets A+ in my book!

I can't speak for anyone else but this has me disturbed. I simply don't do Chinese knowingly. If the SW 200 is "MIC" it is getting sold.
    Last edited by gastubesgalore; November 28th, 2013 at 13:29.

Parts of the world that are accumulating surplus money and have an active industry in some sector commonly buy suppliers in other parts of the world. India bought Jaguar from the Americans, for example. It is the way of capitalism. (Zenith Radio in Chicago once bought the Swiss watch maker Zenith just because of the name... strange.)

I have no knowledge of Stella's current ownership. I could delve into search engines and see what I could find. But I am fairly sure it will have no effect on their products. So I personally am not that interested. The Swatch Group has assured Stella's survival no matter what their ownership.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information