The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread - Page 7
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Quote Originally Posted by colgex View Post
    Not always, I've seen Oris and Edox pieces for example that completely redecorate the rotor and do not leave the 26 jewel stamp. In this case, it may be more difficult since that Tag probably does not have a display back.

I stand corrected!
    Sounds like the morals and ethics of a cartel in-the-making

The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tman10 View Post
    But if, as you say, they are identical movements so its probably a mute point. Do you know if the ETA 2824 an actual 'Swiss' designed - built movement?
    Both are Swiss designed and built. ETA is in Grenchen, and Sellita is in Crêt-du-Locle, between Le Chaux-de-Fonds and Le Locle.

Rick "who parked in Sellita's lot to photograph the Cartier manufacture" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; November 6th, 2014 at 23:18.
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    But if, as you say, they are identical movements so its probably a mute point. Do you know if the ETA 2824 an actual 'Swiss' designed - built movement?
    Both are Swiss designed and built. ETA is in Grenchen, and Sellita is in Crêt-du-Locle, between Le Chaux-de-Fonds and Le Locle.

Rick "who parked in Sellita's lot to photograph the Cartier manufacture" Denney
    Thanks Rick "Man with the answer" Denney!

Quote Originally Posted by colgex View Post

We started to use Sellita’s SW200 ( the name for Sellita’s 2824-2) at this point and, having checked the performance of each subsequent delivery of both movements, we are able to confirm the movement performance exactly matches the ETA.
    Aesthetically, the movements are identical and difficult to separate and the only significant difference is in the number of jewels. Sellita added a 26th jewel on the upper side of the barrel axis which sits just below the ratchet wheel. This jewel slightly reduces the friction associated with automatic winding. However, as the ETA movement has never had a problem of reliability in this regard, it is my view that this is most likely a marketing device used by Sellita to create some separation from the ETA movement although one could make a case for the small benefit in reliability the adjusted jewel height gives.
    The main issue with these Sellitas is the automatic bridge and its associated parts. It can happen on refurbished or new movements.
    The rotor and its ball bearings are easily stucked, the rubies are sometimes badly pressed into the automatic bridge, and after a few months of daily use, one can see dark residues all over the bridges (old stocks of D5?) . Anyway, there's clearly an automatic winding issue on these Sellitas, lots of customers say they do not get sufficient running time with their Sellita-powered watch.
    harryst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deli View Post
    The main issue with these Sellitas is the automatic bridge and its associated parts. It can happen on refurbished or new movements.
    The rotor and its ball bearings are easily stucked, the rubies are sometimes badly pressed into the automatic bridge, and after a few months of daily use, one can see dark residues all over the bridges (old stocks of D5?) . Anyway, there's clearly an automatic winding issue on these Sellitas, lots of customers say they do not get sufficient running time with their Sellita-powered watch.
    Are these current issues?

There was talk of some issues early on in Sellita's self-branded production, with subsequent talk that these issues had all been cleared up. But talk is self-regenerating on the Internet, whether it has data to back it up or not. Many highly respected companies are using Sellita movements, and risking their reputations and warranty liabilities on them.

Rick "looking for data to back up such claims" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Are these current issues?

There was talk of some issues early on in Sellita's self-branded production, with subsequent talk that these issues had all been cleared up. But talk is self-regenerating on the Internet, whether it has data to back it up or not. Many highly respected companies are using Sellita movements, and risking their reputations and warranty liabilities on them.

Rick "looking for data to back up such claims" Denney
    This is data coming right from the workbenches. I'm not taking these information from Internet, but from "real" people complaining about the low power reserve (a consequence of this automatic system issue). New watches BTW. I don't know if these are currently produced ones or coming from old stocks in the shops, though.

And guess what : each time, their watch contain a Sellita. It does happen with ETA, but this is mostly unsignificant in this case.
    Last edited by Deli; November 8th, 2014 at 15:56.

This is data coming right from the workbenches. I'm not taking these information from Internet, but from "real" people complaining about the low power reserve (a consequence of this automatic system issue). New watches BTW. I don't know if these are currently produced ones or coming from old stocks in the shops, though.

And guess what : each time, their watch contain a Sellita. It does happen with ETA, but this is mostly unsignificant in this case.
    i wore my Aquaracer 300m around 10 hours a day, maybe a little bit less during weekends...
    as an IT guy, wrist movements are mostly during going to and off work and lunch time...
    when its not worn at night, i leave it no the table crown up...

i personally observed a low power reserve initially when i bought it... that lasted for about... 6 months or so...
    during that period, i wind my watch every week or 2 just to ensure there's enough power for the coming week

after that it just got better, after 6 months, i didn't wind my watch for at least 3 months now, its still going!
    Last edited by kenji1903; November 9th, 2014 at 00:49.

Quote Originally Posted by kenji1903 View Post

i wore my Aquaracer 300m around 10 hours a day, maybe a little bit less during weekends...
    as an IT guy, wrist movements are mostly during going to and off work and lunch time...
    when its not worn at night, i leave it no the table crown up...

i personally observed a low power reserve initially when i bought it... that lasted for about... 6 months or so...
    during that period, i wind my watch every week or 2 just to ensure there's enough power for the coming week

after that it just got better, after 6 months, i didn't wind my watch for at least 3 months now, its still going!
    would somebody be kind enough to explain why it's necessary to stand the watch "crown up" when left off the wrist overnight?

would somebody be kind enough to explain why it's necessary to stand the watch "crown up" when left off the wrist overnight?
    Mechanical watches will have some slight imbalance and run faster or slower depending on positioning, right?

Hopefully, a watch is adjusted to run so that its crown-up position rate is opposite that of its crown-down rate -- say, +5 sec/day crown down, and -5/day crown up. The idea is that crown-down is more common during the day, when the wearer is standing and walking around. Then, when not being worn at night, crown-up will compensate for the drift that happened during the day.

That's my awkward explanation. ;)
    bvc2005 likes this.

Very interesting thanks for the explanation.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information