The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread - Page 9
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

As long as the watch keeps decent time I really don't care about movements.
    Watchbreath likes this.
    Omega SMP Diver 300M
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Ebel wave.

I have had watches with both movements now for several years. Both have been with me in the ocean, mountain biking, and even to the pistol range a time or two. Both still keep on going, both keep great time, both seem to be able to handle shock well, and both haven't caused me any issues. The only difference I notice between the two is that when I wind them after not having worn them in a while - the Sellita SW200's second hand starts ticking before the ETA2824 does. Not that that means anything at all, it's just an observation. The Sellita will start ticking away after about 5-8 winds when the ETA starts after about 15-25. Overall, I have no issues between either of the movements and would welcome either movement again into my home without worries.
    Hidden Content
    Cover your assets.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSMPMan View Post
    As long as the watch keeps decent time I really don't care about movements.
    I hope this thread was worth the bump.
    G26okie and notional like this.

Wow didn't notice that this topic was originally from 2010, but I guess after 6 years we could hear accounts of how the Sellita movements have compared to the ETA's.
    notional and dZeak like this.
    TAG Heuer: original F1 "glow dial" WA1211, TAG Heuer: 1500 series WD1211, TAG Heuer: formula1 GMT WAZ211A, Omega: SMPq ref.2221.80, IWC: Porsche design "Ocean" ref.3529, Rolex: Explorer II ref.16570, Breitling: Avenger II GMT, Citizen: Nighthawk A-T

Quote Originally Posted by Taran2ula View Post
    Apparently you have bought a watch with one of these Selitta movements since yoo seem to want to defend their quality. The fact is, Selitta is not a high quality watch movement maker, but rather a knock off maker. If anyone had a choice of movements, they should choose Selitta LAST. Believe what you like.
    That is your opinion, but you happen, on this occasion, to be wrong.

Sellita actually used to (may still??) make movements for ETA because ETA could not keep production up with the demand.

If you are going to slam Sellita, you are also slamming ETA.
    Last edited by Orange_GT3; July 8th, 2016 at 04:48.
    flame2000, mtate, notional and 1 others like this.
    Seiko Kinetic Titanium | Rado R5.5 | Maurice Lacroix Pontos S | TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 7 Twin-Time | Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 300 SLR | TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 ACM | TAG Heuer Calibre 1887 McLaren 1974 Edition | Seiko Presage Platinum SPB041J | TAG Heuer S/el Chronometer
    ---------------------------
    Current wish list:
    Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic True Second | TAG Heuer Monaco Gulf (CW211A) | IWC Spitfire IW3878 | TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 36 (CAR2B80)
    ---------------------------
    Grails:
    Jaeger LeCoultre Duometre Spherotourbillion Moon | Jaeger LeCoultre Amvox 3 Tourbillion GMT

Yep, bashing ETA is a favorite sport around here for 'snob-wannabes'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
    That is your opinion, but you happen, on this occasion, to be wrong.

Sellita actually used to (may still??) make movements for ETA because ETA could not keep production with the demand.

If you are going to slam Sellita, you are also slamming ETA.

There's a good article on the Christopher Ward blog about Sellita and ETA and their story - https://www.christopherward.com/blog...sellita-story/

Enjoy!
    yankeexpress likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Cover your assets.

In a way I feel that the ETA decision was a bit of a “dick move” (sorry for that). But for years some of these large companies depended on these products.

I understand, but also ETA was sitting as a supplier of movements, and with the Swiss watch movement companies over the years being bought out and pulled into the swatch group. That was like buying up all the competition. Then deciding that nope we are now only going to supply to our self. With the argument that they were trying to make the Swiss watch industry “better” or “Stronger”. Although, it felt more like a monopolizing move. I feel hopeful that Sellita, now with the support of those LARGE company’s now in need of fine movements, can take Sellita, from a “copycat” company and help them improve their products.

The 2824-2 has been a fine movement for so many years, but other than just adding that one extra jewel there is more room for improvements. As it was ETA would work to improve the movement for some of their own company brands, but even though IWC, Brietling or others would work with them to get “better” quality, it was still just “basic” ETA movements they received. So yea maybe this could help to make the Swiss watch industry better. But also could help Sellita to move past their stereotype of just a copycat, with the statements of “Oh its exactly like the bla, bla bla...”, maybe in a few years we can her that Sellita movements are better instead of exactly the same.

Please forgive my rambling, my brain is still mushy, I haven't had time to decompress from working with images all day...
    Last edited by arbyjr; July 7th, 2016 at 21:39. Reason: to confuse you...
    TAG Heuer: original F1 "glow dial" WA1211, TAG Heuer: 1500 series WD1211, TAG Heuer: formula1 GMT WAZ211A, Omega: SMPq ref.2221.80, IWC: Porsche design "Ocean" ref.3529, Rolex: Explorer II ref.16570, Breitling: Avenger II GMT, Citizen: Nighthawk A-T

As an owner of a bunch of each movement, (as well as 9015 and an A-10) I appreciate them for what they are, without getting too carried away:

Hand winding a 2824 movement has definitely caught the attention of many owners.

ETA 2824 winding issue

The F6 2824 Handwinding Thread

ETA 2824-2 winding question

Why is Soprod A10 considered a better movement?

BTW, ETA is restricting the parts to repair 2824 to outside watchmakers. Watches sent to Swatch (ETAs owner) for repair or service just get a different, renovated 2824 swapped in. Your old movement goes in to be renovated by semi-skilled labor, assembly line style and is eventually put in some other guys watch later on.

None of this has stopped me from buying 2824 or SW200 watches as I personally have not yet had any issue with my several dozen of them.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; July 7th, 2016 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Watches sent to Swatch (ETAs owner) for repair or service just get a different, renovated 2824 swapped in. Your old movement goes in to be renovated by semi-skilled labor, assembly line style and is eventually put in some other guys watch later on.
    Apart from the COSC, EP etc. , Tag does exactly the same ;)

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information