The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Since this issue has been boiling the waters around here recently, I decided to post to articles I have just found from "aBlogtoRead"

ARTICLE 1

Lots of people are starting to notice that watch makers are starting to indicate the movement of a watch as "Swiss Movement." For most of us, such an ambiguous designation is unacceptable, as this can mean just about anything. Strictly speaking, for a watch or movement to legally have the "Swiss Made" designation upon it, the watch or movement does not have to be made or assembled completely in Switzerland. In fact, only a certain percentage of the components must be made in Switzerland, and the watch does not need to be put together in Switzerland.
    Regardless, of the circumstances where you see "Swiss Movement," this means essentially one thing, the movement in the watch is going to be either an ETA or Sellita movement. Ablogtoread.com wrote an article regarding Sellita's presence here. Occasionally there are other potential makers, but this is rare. So you ask yourself, "I don't know what movement I am getting? What am I even paying for?" This is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, but consider this. Lets say ETA are the "name brand" movements, and the Sellita movements are the "generic brand." Each is identical in construction and function. Small differences might lay in the quality of manufacture, and special modifications for the manufacturers, but for the most part, the movements function the same, and have similar accuracy and reliability.
    Sellita is a Swiss movement manufacturer and for the most part copies ETA movements. It does this because it has the machinery capable of such work, along with the fact that the ETA designs are old enough to likely no longer be protected under any Patent rights. For this reason Sellita can make copies of ETA movements just like drug companies can make generic drugs after a period of time.
    Having said that, when you see the Sellita SW200 movement in a watch, it is the same movement as an ETA 2824-2. The reason watch makers are using Sellita movements, is not so much about cost, but more having to do with the fact that ETA is slowing down production and will cease to provide movements to watch makers outside the Swatch Group in 2010. So because ETA movements are harder to get, watch makers will use an ETA or Sellita movement depending on what they are able to acquire in time to put the watches together.
    Fear not the Sellita movements as they appear to be just as good as ETA. The true test will come in a few years, but know that the parts are the same, and ETA parts will fit into Sellita movements to the best of my knowledge. Despite this, some people are still all about having an ETA movement, you can rest assured that most watch makers are complete sticklers for quality, and would not use any movement that would do their name injustice.

ARTICLE 2

Most watches companies do not make their own movements. Quality watch makers buy their movements from mostly ETA, the quasi-government owned movement powerhouse. In 2010 however, ETA will stop selling its movements to outside companies. It will continue to provide movements for it's house brands, of which there are several. ETA is part of the Swatch Group which makes a number of brands as seen in the link. When ETA stops providing movements to out-side brands, they will have to go elsewhere for movements.
    Sellita is a growing movement maker in Switzerland, but has had a bit of a copycat history. They mostly copied ETA movements. Can they do this? Well, probably, at least in the US. Most ETA movements have been around for a while and in the US Patents last for 20 years only. Because movements are machines, they only intellectual property protection they would have is a patent, and presumably the European patent laws are similar to those of the US. Take the ETA 2824-2 movement, which has been around since the 1970s. Because over 20 years has passed since the, copycats are free to make the movements, the only barrier would be technology. Meaning Sellit and other movement makers would have to have the proper machinery to produce the delicate movement parts. China on the other hand would never even think to check on infringing intellectual property rights before copying something.
    We can assume that Sellita has such technology because large brands such as Invicta have been buying from them at large for years. It is predicted that Sellita will step in ETA's shoes and start providing movements on a mass scale in the next few years. Right now, Sellita has a reputation for being a bit lower quality, but that will change in the coming years with high production, and consumer demand. We shall wait and see what role Sellita has in the next few years.
    Last edited by enricodepaoli; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:21.
    Hidden Content

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

Re: The SELLITA SW200 vs ETA 2824 thread

Some of this is factually wrong and I've communicated with Ariel Adams about this issue.

ETA is stopping shipment of ebauches, not complete movements. I expect in a few years it's more likely they'll completely stop movement exports outside of the Swatch group but probably not until there are more Soprods and Setilla expands its production lines.

While a Setilla movement is probably very good, if given the choice between a Setilla and an ETA or even a higher end Made in Japan Seiko movement, Setilla would be my last choice.

and can you tell us why please?
    notional likes this.

Swiss made ETA movements are the finest most tested movements under $500. They have a long history of quality and consistency. Seiko Japanese made movements is a close second in terms of reliably delivering movements of a high quality. Setilla is probably very good as well but so far hasn't had the history to back it up and it's unclear if their QC process is as thorough as ETA or Seiko since they're still relatively new and not in as wide adoption.

I certainly wouldn't refuse to buy a watch with a Setilla movement but the price better reflect it. If I were given the option to choose a watch at the exact same price with the exact same design but the only difference being movement, my choice would be:

1. Soprod A-10
    2. Swiss ETA
    3. Japan Seiko
    4. Swiss Setilla
    Last edited by FlyPenFly; February 3rd, 2010 at 15:12.

ETA use to sends movements to Sellita for extra finish work in the past, such as pearling and decorating movement, Sellita got into the movement building part in 2003 with there first movement the sw200, almost a copy of the 2824, they also have the sw220 , sw240 [day/date wheel] they also have the sw300 and the sw500 automatic chronograph. Stellita opened in the 1950's and has been a very successful business. Some people refuse to accept that they make a excellent product, but some people still think the world is flat. lol
    Tag Heuer Carrera vintage calibre 1
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer caliber S
    Tag Heuer link automatic
    Tag Heuer aquaracer chronotimer
    Tag Heuer aquaracer grande date
    Philip admirale chrono v7750
    Burett neo icon auto
    Movado elliptica
    Invicta 9937 auto

We can continue to talk in circles about it but I'll just cut to the chase.

Companies use Sellita when they can't get a hold of an ETA or a Soprod is too expensive.

What is the difference between the ETA and the Soprod?
    I know that Ball uses the Soprod in the EHCIII.

Take care

RR
    Confessed Fanboy-phobic

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    We can continue to talk in circles about it but I'll just cut to the chase.

Companies use Sellita when they can't get a hold of an ETA or a Soprod is too expensive.
    You might be right about that for now, but i think that watch company's[ not swatch] will start using Sellita a lot more in the future, and they will continue to expand, I think there product will continue to improve and more people will accept them as maybe an equal
    Tag Heuer Carrera vintage calibre 1
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer caliber S
    Tag Heuer link automatic
    Tag Heuer aquaracer chronotimer
    Tag Heuer aquaracer grande date
    Philip admirale chrono v7750
    Burett neo icon auto
    Movado elliptica
    Invicta 9937 auto

Is there any proof that an ETA 2824 is superior to an SW200 in terms of reliability, accuracy or resistance to shock?

I'd be a bit surprised if the 2824 was superior and wouldn't be surprised if the opposite were true.

The Sellita is a more modern rendition of the movement, made using recent manufacturing techniques, processes and machinery, and the refinement that is possible when you can study something that has a long production history instead of starting from scratch.

What is clear to me is that Sellita and the SW200 has less marketing value, than ETA and the venerable 2824. I would be very surprised if the superior marketing value isn't one of the principle drivers for the selection of the 2824 over the SW200.

Of course, the ugly truth of watches, as with all luxury goods, is that marketing value is probably more important than any other product content.

i really dont care what movt is inside a timepiece, as long as it is from a reputable watchmaker that puts their watches to a battery of quality tests.
    Rolex Daytona TT - Deepsea - Submariner Date ceramic - GMT ceramic
    TagHeuer Aquaracer 300M - Aquaracer 500M - Link Bourne - Formula 1 44mm
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - Oris Divers Date - Citizen Promaster Diver EcoDrive
    lots of Solar Casios - tons of Invictas

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information