Tag Heuer Build Quality gowing down?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tag Heuer Build Quality gowing down?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to this forum so apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.

I have been a tag fanboy since univeristy where I blew a big chunk of my savings on my first tag. In 2004 I received a 2000 quartz series as my wedding gift which has been a great watch. Recently however I got really interested in automatics for the obvious reasons.

I went to couple of TAG ADs to look a couple of Aquaracer models and I must say the build quality is not what it used to be, at least eight years ago. The bracelet seems flimsy and light , the bezel turns so easily, it could feels like my kids watch. Also the overall finish seems really really cheap. This is all when comparing the new models to my 8 year old watch which seems to be built so much better.

As a long time TAG fan, I am very very disappointed. I always thought that my life time watch would be a TAG and now I am looking at Omegas and Rolexes to find my new diver.

Does anyone else share this opinion?

Cheers
    utterlyconfused
    Last edited by utterlyconfused; December 7th, 2012 at 08:01.

Ozy

Re: Tag Heuer Build Quality gowing down?

I actually feel that the spelling of the participants in this forum is going down.
    Perseus likes this.
    Pavo absolutus

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    I actually feel that the spelling of the participants in this forum is going down.
    One of the first things I learned in participating in forums (20 years ago...) was it is rude and distracting to become a human spell check.

To answer the OP's question, no I do not feel build quality is going down. Indeed, I believe it has been going up. Few Heuers have as nice casing or bracelets as today's TAGHeuers. The line that shows the most improvement are the F1s... but I still like the old plastic band ones.
    scooby likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    One of the first things I learned in participating in forums (20 years ago...) was it is rude and distracting to become a human spell check.

To answer the OP's question, no I do not feel build quality is going down. Indeed, I believe it has been going up. Few Heuers have as nice casing or bracelets as today's TAGHeuers. The line that shows the most improvement are the F1s... but I still like the old plastic band ones.
    Thanks. Seems like I formed my opinion based on the Aquaracers alone compared to its predecossr , the 2000 series. I defintely think that the quality has gone down in that particular line and I did not spend enough time on other models as I am only interested in a diving watch for now.

I have a 90's 2000 series and a couple of friends have the newer Aquaracers. In my opinion the latter have better finish. But as Eeeb with the F1s, I do like the 90's 2000 series better than the newer Aquaracers, too.

TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -silver
    S/EL Leather auto -ss/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

It's quite simple really.
    If you don't like how the new watches feel, don't buy it. Quality is not something you can measure on a casual wearing in a store and most things you can observe and attribute to quality aren't actually measures of quality.

Most often, it is the weight that people associate with quality but that just has to do with how much there is of it.

Some people mistake the design of something with quality. In your specific mention of the bezel, I can tell you that the bezel on my Planet Ocean is just as easy to turn like it is on the new Aquaracer so make of that what you will.

"Finish" is such a loose term.
    What did you find in the finishing that was unsatisfactory? For the record, I can't say I've ever been disappointed with the finishing of any watch I've handled. Disappointed with elements of the design, sure but not the actual finishing.

Anyway, if you don't think the new watches feel as good as you think they should then find something else that does. No one here is going to be able to change how something felt to you in your hand.
    Only you can go and try other watches to see how they feel.

RDK

Quote Originally Posted by utterlyconfused View Post
    Thanks. Seems like I formed my opinion based on the Aquaracers alone compared to its predecossr , the 2000 series. I defintely think that the quality has gone down in that particular line and I did not spend enough time on other models as I am only interested in a diving watch for now.
    How about the "old" Aquaracer 500M (with the rubber bezel)?
    It's a an awesome watch IMHO. It has a very solid and rugged bracelet, feels quite heavy on the wrist, has an accurate calibre 5 (Sellita SW200) movement and looks great!
    I get a lot of compliments on my Aquaracer, more so than on my TAG Heuer Link and Omega Seamaster PO.

For the record: I can't compare the new Aquaracer to the 2000 series since I've never seen a TAG Heuer 2000 in the flesh..

Cheers,
    Rob
    Automatic:
    TAG Heuer Link CJF2110.BA0594 / TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M WAJ2111.BA0870 / Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2200.50.00

Quartz:
    Favre-Leuba Byblos

I can't comment on the aquaracer since I simply did not have much experience dealing with those watches in particular. However the Carrera Heritage Calibre 6 that I purchased has excellent quality. I was also looking at several other watches (Omega Aqua Terra 2500, Sinn 556, Longines, etc etc) and I found their build quality to be comparable to all those other brands.

The bracelet on my Carrera is solid, does not squeak and is extremely comfortable to wear. I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than any other major watch manufacturer, but it is at least on par.

Where I feel that the Carrera (and hopefully Tag in general) exceeds is in their case finishing. The polishing on the Carrera looks fantastic. While I must admit it might not be as difficult of an effect to achieve say as the alternating of brushed/polished surfaces on other watches (e.g. Omega SMP) but my Tag was flawless nonetheless.

Tag, like many other watch manufacturers, seem to be making a bit of a push to move themselves upmarket (Grand Carrera line, 1887 in house movement, etc) and from what I've seen, the quality of their pieces seems to match that push.
    "Alterum Alterius Auxilio Eget"
    -Each Needs the Help of the Other-

TAG Heuer Carrera Heritage Calibre 6
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Citizen Nighthawk

Go try on some of the Rolex Sub's, tell me how those hollow bracelets feel? They feel flimsy and cheap but are apparently strong. That was the biggest turn off for me and the size.

My M500 chrono has a solid tough bracelet.
    Last edited by PaulyP; December 8th, 2012 at 04:28.
    TAG Aquaracer 500 M Calibre 16 Chrono CAJ2110.BA0872
    TAG Aquaracer Chrono CAF1110
    Orient Blue Ray EM65009D
    G Shock GW500A-1V

Oh, I don't know. My 300M AR seems to be built very well. This finish is excellent and the bracelet is not only solid but also comfortable. I've never seen a 2000 in person but I find it very hard to believe that it is of higher quality than my "current" 300M AR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information