Tag Monaco internals move with crown..?

Thread: Tag Monaco internals move with crown..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tag Monaco internals move with crown..?

Hello all,

I can't seem to find anything on this on the web so I thought this would be a great place to get some advice.
    The internals of my girlfriend's Tag Monaco seems to move across a tiny amount when the crown is pulled out and then it moves back a little when pushed back in. I first noticed it today and pointed it out to her but she has never noticed before. She purchased the watch a couple of years ago from a 'reputable' seller on ebay and certainly seems to be the genuine article. I was a little concerned when I noticed this as I wouldn't have expected it to happen.. Has anyone heard of this before?

This is the model Monaco she has TAG Heuer Monaco Watch WW2110.FC6177 Watch

Thanks very much

Re: Tag Monaco internals move with crown..?

Don't take this wrong but your girl friend probably has a screw loose ... easy to fix in watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Don't take this wrong but your girl friend probably has a screw loose ... easy to fix in watches.
    agree probably a loose case/movement clamp.If they are loose when you pull out the winding stem to time setting position you'd notice the dial or the movement itself move slighty.
    Last edited by decipher28; December 2nd, 2012 at 22:04.
    "SKYMONSTER" TAC

xl321

Time is precious

Haha she most certainly does have a screw loose!
    Thanks for clearing that up chaps! I'll take it to a jewlers or the Tag shop.

Also, another possibly stupid question - does this Monaco require hand winding? I can't seem to get the crown to do anything other than set the time. She is adamant that you just have to give it a shake to wind it, but to me -with my very limited knowledge of automatic watches- that seems a little odd?

yes you should be able to hand wind it.Any automatic watch can be hand wound.It would be very impratical/and look stupid to keep shaking you wrist to get the watch going.
    "SKYMONSTER" TAC

xl321

Time is precious

Quote Originally Posted by decipher28 View Post
    yes you should be able to hand wind it.Any automatic watch can be hand wound.It would be very impratical/and look stupid to keep shaking you wrist to get the watch going.
    That's what I thought. OK I'll have another play with it. Could the loose screw problem be messing with the ability to get the crown into the correct position to wind? It seems to pull out to only one position and that adjusts the hands..
    Taking it to the TAG shop next week but would be interested to hear opinions first.

Any automatic watch can be hand wound. It would be very impratical/and look stupid to keep shaking you wrist to get the watch going.
    Plenty of automatic watches cannot be hand-wound, and you do in fact have to give them a little shake to get them going.
    Taking it to the TAG shop next week but would be interested to hear opinions first.
    You'll probably save quite a bit of money by taking it to an independent watchmaker instead (an actual watchmaker; not just a jeweler or the shop that can change a watch battery). There's nothing even remotely exotic in her watch, and any competent watchmaker should be able to fix it much more cheaply than Tag themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne View Post
    That's what I thought. OK I'll have another play with it. Could the loose screw problem be messing with the ability to get the crown into the correct position to wind? It seems to pull out to only one position and that adjusts the hands..
    Yes, there should be 3 positions to the crown. 0=hand winding, 1=quick date set, 2=hand setting. Sounds like the crown is not able to be pushed in all the way to allow winding.

If it's a recent thing, I'd be wary of wearing it until it is seen to. If it has only started to do that, it could mean that little screw is now rattling inside the watch head.

Thanks for all above info!

bmwfreak - when you say position 0 do you mean when the crown is pushed completely in and against the case? If so when it in this position at the moment it does not seem to wind the mechanism, I cant hear or feel any winding going on.

Will try to find a local watchmaker and tell her not to wear it until we've had it checked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information