TAG movements - Page 10
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: TAG movements

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: TAG movements

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    I don't think it's that simple.
    While they are owned by the same parent group, I would imagine that they are still run pretty independently and that any use of another company's products are paid for, just as if it were a movement made by ETA. Just because the two different brands are both owned by LVMH, it doesn't mean there is 100% transparancy between them.
    Drunken is correct. Even divisions within a single company don't generally operate by just sharing or giving away technology. Transfer costs are involved, which may or may not reflect current market pricing. In a case like this, both companies are focused on making a profit, so a deal would have been struck.
    Question your desires,
    Know of your youth,
    examine well your blood . . . .

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream, 1, 1, 67

Quote Originally Posted by Sgian Dubh View Post
    Drunken is correct. Even divisions within a single company don't generally operate by just sharing or giving away technology. Transfer costs are involved, which may or may not reflect current market pricing. In a case like this, both companies are focused on making a profit, so a deal would have been struck.
    Cost accounting....I hate cost accounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Protest View Post
    Cost accounting....I hate cost accounting.
    Delete the word, cost, from your sentence and I agree wholeheartedly. I consider accounting a necessary evil, and I am extremely happy that there are people in the world who are experts in the field so that I don't have to be one.
    Question your desires,
    Know of your youth,
    examine well your blood . . . .

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream, 1, 1, 67

Gyus, I'm going to buy my first watches, WAT2110 and I making deep research about analogs, movements etc.
    Could someone explain me how can it be, that in base Calibre 6 movement ETA 2895-1 less jewels than in Calibre 6 itself? 30 vs 27.
    Links:
    Luxury Watches - Swiss Watches | TAG HEUER
    http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categor..._ETA2895.1.pdf
    ETA 2895-1 - Watches Wiki, The Best Watches And Watch Brands

Quote Originally Posted by axelf71 View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance but is this list indicative of the movement's quality/design etc? In other words, does the higher the no. of calibre mean it's superior to the previous, or is it merely a model no? If so, what improvements/modifications do they make to increase the quality and accuracy of each movement? Thanks.
    I would also like to know this as well. I am new to Tags and this forum, so please forgive my ignorance.

Hi. No, there is no magic to the Calibre number- its just a name that they use and there is nothing about the number to tell you anything about the movement, for example whether its a Chronograph or who makes it.

The majority of movements supplied by ETA/ Sellita (two of the largest outside suppliers of movements) are used as supplied. ETA for example offer various grades of movement and different finishings to allow the brands to customise the look of the movement (for example, using blue screws). Sellita started as a company who made these modifications for ETA, so there is a long association there.

TAG Heuer will sometimes direct outside suppliers in making a movement- for example, the Calibre 11 movement is a combination of a Sellita base movement that is then sent to Dubois Depraz who add a Chronograph module. I'm not aware that DD offer this movement to any other clients- its made to TAG Heuer's spec.

You won't see a Calibre number used on a quartz movement- only mechanical movements. My general advice would be that movements are interesting, but the movements today are all capable of being tuned to do the same job. You could argue that the finest Chronograph movement in general use today is the El Primero (Calibre 36) and that was designed in the 1960s.

dc
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

Hidden Content

Facebook: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ivаr View Post
    Gyus, I'm going to buy my first watches, WAT2110 and I making deep research about analogs, movements etc.
    Could someone explain me how can it be, that in base Calibre 6 movement ETA 2895-1 less jewels than in Calibre 6 itself? 30 vs 27.
    Links:
    Luxury Watches - Swiss Watches | TAG HEUER
    http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categor..._ETA2895.1.pdf
    ETA 2895-1 - Watches Wiki, The Best Watches And Watch Brands
    most like a typo

Tell me to go wash my mouth out if you must - but is anyone aware of a similarly informative thread focused on quartz movements?
    I'm particularly interested in the one(s) used by H and TH in the mid eighties to drive chronographs, many of which are now failing, leaving watches capable of operation in only the chrono mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Philmo View Post
    Tell me to go wash my mouth out if you must - but is anyone aware of a similarly informative thread focused on quartz movements?
    I'm particularly interested in the one(s) used by H and TH in the mid eighties to drive chronographs, many of which are now failing, leaving watches capable of operation in only the chrono mode.

The quartz equivalent of the LWO283?? It is easily identified by the cyclops being UNDER the crystal...

Instead of an ETA 2892-2 it used an ESA 555(?) series quartz base. Since all of the power for moving even the chronograph comes from the base movement, if the chronograph works much of the base movement works. Sounds like a mechanical problem... hand interference?? Start a new thread with pics if you want help.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

are all TAG automatic watches self winding watches?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information