TAG movements - Page 6
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: TAG movements

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    axelf71

Re: TAG movements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    While researching the Dubois Depraz modules used by TAG and Heuer, I encounterd this list which I thought would be interesting to the crew...

TAG Cal
    movement
    watch

ETA 2671

ETA 2824-2 (2834 in some models(??))
    Aquaracer, Carrera, Link

ETA 2895-1
    Monza, Monaco

ETA 2892-A1
    2000 Chronometre, Link Chronometre

7 GMT
    ETA 2893-A2 (Dubois Depraz Calibre 312??)
    Carrera GMT

Dubois Depraz 2022
    Autavia Chronograph

ETA/Valjoux 7750
    Carrera, Monza, Aquaracer Chronographs

ETA 2894-2
    Monaco, Monza, Carrera, Kirium Chronographs

Zenith El-Primero
    Monza 36, Link 36

Dubois-Depraz 2073
    Aquagraph 2000

corrections and additions are invited!
    Please forgive my ignorance but is this list indicative of the movement's quality/design etc? In other words, does the higher the no. of calibre mean it's superior to the previous, or is it merely a model no? If so, what improvements/modifications do they make to increase the quality and accuracy of each movement? Thanks.

Current Calibres 11 and 12 (Monaco Vintage line with crown at 9 and Current Monaco with crown at 3) are, to my knowledge, based on the 25 jewel ETA 2892-A2 with the 30 jewel Dubois-Depraz 2008 chronograph module attached.

Miao, Cat

You missed Calibre 8 in your list of movements, as showcased in the Grand Carrera line

Quote Originally Posted by novan3 View Post
    You missed Calibre 8 in your list of movements, as showcased in the Grand Carrera line
    Find the information and add it... this is a cooperative effort!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

BHL

I think someone else already asked this question but was not aswered so I'm gonna ask again. What are the differences between ETA 7750 movement and TAG Heuer Caliber 16? Do people in TAG just add nicer finishing and fancy looking rotor to the base ETA 7750 movement or they actually swap some parts and do considerable amount of work on the movement that's more than mere "facelift".
    Current Watches:
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (ref: 2201.50.00)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (ref: 3570.50.00)
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph (ref: CAR2A10.FC6235)
    IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph (ref: IW377701)

Quote Originally Posted by BHL View Post
    I think someone else already asked this question but was not aswered so I'm gonna ask again. What are the differences between ETA 7750 movement and TAG Heuer Caliber 16? Do people in TAG just add nicer finishing and fancy looking rotor to the base ETA 7750 movement or they actually swap some parts and do considerable amount of work on the movement that's more than mere "facelift".
    In various forms this is a reoccurring question.

How well a watch performs is dependent on how well the movement is 'tuned' or adjusted. Swapping in 'better' parts does not automatically improve a watch even though it is a quick solution which can be advertised... "we have glassionometer hairsprings with a pentemeter balance!" What makes a manufacturers watches perform to their specs is quality control - the ability to detect and correct variations from a standard. And quality control is a process not a piece of hardware.

Quality control is not sexy and is somewhat ephemeral. It is hard to discuss and takes some time to appreciate. But, considering the millions of watches they make, they must be doing something right ... or doing something better than most.

Unlike some others, TAG doesn't say what they do to movements. They only say judge for yourself. I doubt we will see any change in that soon... it seems to be a long standing policy.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

BHL

I see. I agree with you that good quality control and proper tuning are more important to ensure the accuracy and longevity of movement than changing the parts since these ETA movements are built to last with proper care anyway. I was just curious about the sort of changes/upgrades done by TAG Heuer. Since they do not advertise the changes they make for the movements like some other manufacturers do (eg. OMEGA), I'd assume that most of the changes are cosmetic.
    Current Watches:

Quote Originally Posted by BHL View Post
    ...Since they do not advertise the changes they make for the movements like some other manufacturers do (eg. OMEGA), I'd assume that most of the changes are cosmetic.
    I do not know enough to tear apart my Omegas and TAGs and determine what changed from the stock Eta movement. Without such data all is speculation... and maybe PR.

Is there such a thing as a Calibre 18? I have a Tag Carrera 2015 and it looks like it says "18" but I guess it might be "16".

BHL

It's gotta be Caliber 16. Never heard of Caliber 18 before. Official TAG Heuer website lists the movement of Carrera CV2015 as Caliber 16.
    Current Watches:

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information