TAG movements - Page 8
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TAG movements

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: TAG movements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    A number of the members of the forum are far more knowledgeable than many who write for watch magazines. The magazines are interesting but they usually consist of professional writers who often write for effect. To claim TAGHeuer's efforts on the Valjoux 7750 consists only of replacing the stock ETA rotor with a TAGHeuer rotor might be a reach...

My complaint would be that they were still using a 7750 at all...
    I'm very 'new' out here, but have been reading a lot.. Could you please explain to me why you think that way bout the 7750 movements?

(and is It impossible to find out what grade TAG User for the calibre 16? Or at least the adjustments they've made?)

// catch

Quote Originally Posted by catch View Post
    I'm very 'new' out here, but have been reading a lot.. Could you please explain to me why you think that way bout the 7750 movements?

(and is It impossible to find out what grade TAG User for the calibre 16? Or at least the adjustments they've made?)

// catch
    This article may be able to help some, The Valjoux 7750 Chronograph - Part 1 - TimeZone, the 7750 is a robust design that has existed since 1974, any company could acquire and do whatever is needed to brand it as their own sometimes it is the instance where the rotor (i.e., the pendulum that winds the movement) is simply replaced with a TAG Heuer, etc... stamped rotor and others a minor change to the movement that causes it to be 'based' of the 7750... I'm not good about movements but it's just what I've gather... Also, if you didn't know this already did you know that the new Carrera 1887 use a Seiko based movement that TAG Heuer was able to acquire and modify to their liking? The same is true for the Calibre 36, it was made by Zenith (El Primero) and TAG acquired this movement and branded it with a TAG stamp to use in their higher end C.O.S.C. certified watches, which come with certificates stating that they been tested such that the daily tolerance is between -4 and +6 seconds per day...
    catch likes this.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop View Post
    This article may be able to help some, The Valjoux 7750 Chronograph - Part 1 - TimeZone, the 7750 is a robust design that has existed since 1974, any company could acquire and do whatever is needed to brand it as their own sometimes it is the instance where the rotor (i.e., the pendulum that winds the movement) is simply replaced with a TAG Heuer, etc... stamped rotor and others a minor change to the movement that causes it to be 'based' of the 7750... I'm not good about movements but it's just what I've gather... Also, if you didn't know this already did you know that the new Carrera 1887 use a Seiko based movement that TAG Heuer was able to acquire and modify to their liking? The same is true for the Calibre 36, it was made by Zenith (El Primero) and TAG acquired this movement and branded it with a TAG stamp to use in their higher end C.O.S.C. certified watches, which come with certificates stating that they been tested such that the daily tolerance is between -4 and +6 seconds per day...
    Thanks!

But still i have a question:

What if watchmakers make useful adjustments to THE 7750 movement, how can we tell?
    I've read in fora about comparisons with Hamilton models, because Hamilton offers you a decent watch for +/- $/€1000 with a 7750 movement in it.
    But to me that doesn't say anything yet, i only knowhow what movement the manufacturer uses; how can you tell the difference or find out what the exact grade is the manufacturer used for a specific timepiece / model?

// catch

Thanks!

But still i have a question:

What if watchmakers make useful adjustments to THE 7750 movement, how can we tell?
    I've read in fora about comparisons with Hamilton models, because Hamilton offers you a decent watch for +/- $/€1000 with a 7750 movement in it.
    But to me that doesn't say anything yet, i only knowhow what movement the manufacturer uses; how can you tell the difference or find out what the exact grade is the manufacturer used for a specific timepiece / model?

// catch
    That's a good question, I think simply it would be taking the watch apart and examining the pieces that they use... Going back to the certification of C.O.S.C. watches, I've heard that the company selects a parts that are considered exceptional and then they are tested to make sure you're getting a really great +/- window... Each company may have a version of their own grading system but that's something I'm not familiar with.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop View Post
    That's a good question, I think simply it would be taking the watch apart and examining the pieces that they use... Going back to the certification of C.O.S.C. watches, I've heard that the company selects a parts that are considered exceptional and then they are tested to make sure you're getting a really great +/- window... Each company may have a version of their own grading system but that's something I'm not familiar with.
    Again thanks.

1. I hope it's indeed 'a good question', maybe someone else could help us out (?)
    2. I wasn't familiar with the Carrera calibre 36 thing; but even then, Zenith & TAG both are part of LVMH - that would mean that TAG actually used 'technology' from a sister company..

Again thanks.

1. I hope it's indeed 'a good question', maybe someone else could help us out (?)
    2. I wasn't familiar with the Carrera calibre 36 thing; but even then, Zenith & TAG both are part of LVMH - that would mean that TAG actually used 'technology' from a sister company..
    1. I hope it's indeed 'a good question', maybe someone else could help us out (?) => "I'm sure someone will be off help"

2. I wasn't familiar with the Carrera calibre 36 thing; but even then, Zenith & TAG both are part of LVMH - that would mean that TAG actually used 'technology' from a sister company..=> "You're right indeed they are sister companies, also, did you know TAG has a C.O.S.C. certified (I believe it's a calibre 16 (7750)) Aquaracer (CAF5010 - I think, I know it has 5010, I don't recall the prefixes)? Now, imagine the difference between this version and the regular version Aquaracer (CAF2010 - same deal hear but the regular version ends with 2010)... they might be using some pretty premium parts to get it running in within the standard"
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Hidden Content

I wasn't familiar with the Carrera calibre 36 thing; but even then, Zenith & TAG both are part of LVMH - that would mean that TAG actually used 'technology' from a sister company..

I don't think it's that simple.
    While they are owned by the same parent group, I would imagine that they are still run pretty independently and that any use of another company's products are paid for, just as if it were a movement made by ETA. Just because the two different brands are both owned by LVMH, it doesn't mean there is 100% transparancy between them.

Finally managed to get some acceptable photos of the case back of the 1887.
    The glass makes it really difficult to photo cleanly without a proper studio set up but here they are anyway.

Eeeb and Gelo24 like this.
    Hidden Content

Thoughts for the day:
    data is useless if you lack the ability to understand the information it presents
    Hidden Content

Calibre 1

Eta - Unitas 6498-1
    Which one?: The manual winding Carrera, REF: WV3010

Calibre 2

Eta 7001 (Hand wound Calibre)
    Which one?: The Monaco Sixty-nine.

Calibre 3

Eta 2000-1
    Which one?: Watches lady. Currently not used this movement.

Calibre 4

Eta 2671
    Which one?: Carrera lady size.

Calibre 5

Sellita SW200 and Eta 2824-2, or modifications to this as the Link 2834 double date at 12 and 6, or 2836-2, as in the Aquaracer double date at 3.
    Which one?: Aquaracer, Link and Carrera.

Calibre 6

Eta 2895-1
    Which one?: Link, Monaco.

Calibre 6 RS

ETA 2895-2
    Which one?: Grand Carrera.

Calibre 7

ETA 2892-A2
    Which one?: Link

Calibre 7 GMT

ETA 2993-2
    Which one?: Link and Carrera.

Calibre 8 RS

ETA 2992-A2 - TT651 Soprod
    Which one?: Grand Carrera GMT.

Calibre 11 and Calibre 12

Mechanism Base: ETA 2892-A2
    Chronograph module: Dubois Depraz

Calibre 11: Dubois Depraz 2018, 2021, 2022
    Calibre 12: Dubois Depraz 2002, 2008, 2019

Which one?: Autavia, Silverstone and Monaco. (Formerly also the race rider and any other chronograph, although this was not exactly the same movement, in fact, the only thing they share is the name. The mechanism was not an ETA base, was a Büren automatic micro-rotor, the famous Chronomatic *)

* Chronomatic

Base Mechanism: Caliber 1280 Büren "INTRAmatic."
    Chronograph module: Dubois Depraz 8510.

Calibre 16 (Day-Date inc.)

Eta 7750
    Which one?: Aquaracer, Link and Carrera.

Calibre 17 and 17 RS

Eta 2894-2
    Which one?: In the Grand Carrera Chron.(17RS). Too in Monza and Monaco Chron.(17) the previous reference until 2007. (CW2xxx)

Calibre 24 or Calibre 312

Eta 2892-A2 + Chronograph module Dubois Depraz GMT
    Which one?: Link WJF2115

Calibre 36

Zenith "El Primero" 400 (Modified in Grand Carrera RS*)
    Which one?: Some Link, Monza (El Primero 400 without modification). Currently, the Grand Carrera Caliper and Monaco C.36 Twenty Four concept. (Modified)

* Modification: There are 42 pieces that are different from the Calibre 36 to "El Primero" 400.

Calibre 60

Mechanism base: ETA 2892-2
    Chronograph module: Dubois Depraz 2073
    Which one?: Aquagraph.

Calibre 360

Mechanism base: ETA 2892-2
    Chronograph module: 360 by TAG Heuer.
    Which one?: Limited Series of Carrera and concepts such as the Monaco 360.

Calibre S

Manufacturing electromechanical mechanism S.
    Which one?: Formula 1, Link, Aquaracer, Carrera and SLR.

Calibre Microtimer

Calibre HR03
    Which one?: Monaco 69 and Microtimer (Digital)

Calibre Chronotimer

Eta 988-432
    Which one?: Aquaracer.

Calibre V

Movement manufactured V
    Which one?: The Monaco V4

Calibre Mikrograph

Movement manufactured Mikrograph (1/100 sec. mecanical - 360.000 b/h)
    Which one?: Mikrograph

Calibre Mikrotimer

Movement manufactured Mikrotimer ( 1/1000 sec. mecanical - 3.600.000 b/h)
    Which one?: Mikrotimer

Calibre 1887

Calibre 1887 (Produced In house by TAG Heuer based on TC78 by SII)
    Which one?: Carrera and 300 SLR.

Regards.
    Last edited by JuanSinmiedo; September 7th, 2011 at 05:17.
    Eeeb likes this.
    "The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein

Cal 5

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information