TAGHeuer quartz movement question
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Eeeb
  • 2 Post By Eeeb

Thread: TAGHeuer quartz movement question

-->

TAGHeuer quartz movement question

WUS is an awesome website with lots of helpful information! I have an Aquaracer, day/date, Calibre 5. I just bought a brand new 2000 classic, I still wanna get an used Kirium Chronometer automatic, before I purchase my third TAG, I have something to consider:

1. How long a quartz movement (2000 classic) could last?
    2. Is a quartz TAG's life can't last long and not more than 20 30 years?
    3. Some threads in WUS discussed about manually winding the mechanic watches, so would it a problem if I don't wear them all everyday? since I'm going to have three watches, I can only able to wear one of them for a day.
    4. would it be a problem for the Kirium Chronometer? since it's already 11 yrs old, should it be wear everyday to wind it or if I don't, do I need to manually wind it every time before I wear it.
    5. How to manually wind my Aquaracer? I have never do it cos I guess it fully wound ifself since I 'm a drummer to play drums few hours a day.

Thank you for advice!

Re: TAGHeuer quartz movement question

TAGHeuer uses only highly jeweled quartz movements. If not abused, they should last many decades... we don't know how many as good quartz movements are only 43 years old but mine of that age are still ticking nicely. Unlike mechanicals they don't need service every 5 years. Don't worry, be happy!

Swiss automatics seem not to deteriorate when wound regularly but you need to make sure if it is a screw down crown you don't force it. The crown needs only to be tight enough to compress the gasket to kick in the water resistance. Tightening it down like a nut and bolt is 'not good' and often results in stripped threads.

If the watch stops, it needs winding. If it doesn't, it doesn't
    Last edited by Eeeb; February 11th, 2013 at 08:29. Reason: typo
    toloen and O'Reilly like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thank you so much again!

My Aquaracer WAF2011 bought in Oct 2011, it ran about 4 minutes ahead a month, and the difference getting narrower over time, now not enough a minute a month, I 'm not sure will it getting slower or it just works more consistence... I love this watch and have so much confidence on TAG! :D

My TAG quartz watches (I've owned four of them and currently own one) have been dead on accurate...couldn't be happier with them.
    Last edited by O'Reilly; February 10th, 2013 at 21:48.
    Omega 2208.50 PO XL Orange Bezel
    Omega 2541.80 SMP 300M Golden Eye
    TAG Heuer WAJ1112.BA0871 Aquaracer 500M Blue Dial
    TAG Heuer CV2A12.FC6236 Carrera Day & Date Brown Dial on Brown Croc

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    TAGHeuer uses only highly jeweled quartz movements. If not abused, they should last many decades... we don't know how many as good quartz movements are only 43 years old but mine of that age are still ticking nicely. Unlike mechanicals they don't need service every 5 years. Don't worry, be happy!

Swiss automatics seem not to deteriorate when wound regularly but you need to make sure if it is a screw down crown you don't force it. The crown needs only to be tight enough to compress the gasket to kick in the water resistance. Tightening it down like a nut and bolt is 'not good' and often results in stripped threads.

If the watch stops, it needs winding. If it doesn't, it doesn't
    When I read the question and entered the thread, I said to myself "quartz,tag,long lasting,reliable...ok!the first reply definitely should be from Eeeb."
    By the way,it's good to know that quartz watches are around for 43 years!I have always thought that they came out in the 80's!
    HAMILTON-khaki king scuba
    OMEGA-planet ocean(42mm-2500)
    SEIKO-orange monster
    SEIKO-fifty five fathoms
    SEIKO5 sports-100m, white dial
    TAG HEUER-aquaracer wan2110
    TAG HEUER-aquaracer wan2111

Quote Originally Posted by toloen View Post
    When I read the question and entered the thread, I said to myself "quartz,tag,long lasting,reliable...ok!the first reply definitely should be from Eeeb."
    By the way,it's good to know that quartz watches are around for 43 years!I have always thought that they came out in the 80's!
    The 1960s were a whirlwind of quartz development. GP and Heuer and others were already using quartz timing in their high end sports timing products. The drive to shrink them to wrist watch sizing was on.

On Dec 25 1969 Seiko released 100 hand made engineering prototypes for sale in Tokyo. Each sold for the same price as a Toyota Corolla. This was a gimmick to get 'first to market' claims for Seiko. It worked. But 21 Swiss companies had combined to produce their first effort. Though announced in '69, you could not actually buy any Beta 21 based watches until 1970... but they were available in mass production quantities and cost 1/10th the cost of the Seiko prototypes.

By 1972 many were producing quartz movements. They were placed at the high end of the product line costing as much as mechanical chronometer grade watches.

Since Heuer appreciated accuracy (due to their heavy involvement in timing) they were one of the first makers of quartz as a core of their watch product line. The Heuer Professionals are still with us in the form of Aquaracers!

GP made the first modern technology movement in 1971 (the Calibre 350 line). It is from these all modern quartz watches are derived. By 1980 use of this design dropped the price of quartz and once the American semiconductor industry entered with LED and LCD movements, the price dropped even further. Quartz grew to replace pin levers as the low end of the watch market (low end due to price not technology -- quartz is far more complex than mechanical movements).
    toloen and O'Reilly like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The 1960s were a whirlwind of quartz development. GP and Heuer and others were already using quartz timing in their high end sports timing products. The drive to shrink them to wrist watch sizing was on.

On Dec 25 1969 Seiko released 100 hand made engineering prototypes for sale in Tokyo. Each sold for the same price as a Toyota Corolla. This was a gimmick to get 'first to market' claims for Seiko. It worked. But 21 Swiss companies had combined to produce their first effort. Though announced in '69, you could not actually buy any Beta 21 based watches until 1970... but they were available in mass production quantities and cost 1/10th the cost of the Seiko prototypes.

By 1972 many were producing quartz movements. They were placed at the high end of the product line costing as much as mechanical chronometer grade watches.

Since Heuer appreciated accuracy (due to their heavy involvement in timing) they were one of the first makers of quartz as a core of their watch product line. The Heuer Professionals are still with us in the form of Aquaracers!

GP made the first modern technology movement in 1971 (the Calibre 350 line). It is from these all modern quartz watches are derived. By 1980 use of this design dropped the price of quartz and once the American semiconductor industry entered with LED and LCD movements, the price dropped even further. Quartz grew to replace pin levers as the low end of the watch market (low end due to price not technology -- quartz is far more complex than mechanical movements).

Its really interesting,
    Thank you for the detailed information and clarification.
    HAMILTON-khaki king scuba
    OMEGA-planet ocean(42mm-2500)
    SEIKO-orange monster
    SEIKO-fifty five fathoms
    SEIKO5 sports-100m, white dial
    TAG HEUER-aquaracer wan2110
    TAG HEUER-aquaracer wan2111

Thread Information