Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice - Page 4
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice

All great feedback guys, and much appreciated. I am now leaning heavily towards this:
    Fortis Flieger Professional Chronograph Automatic Men's Watch 705.21.11 L.01 - Aviatis - Fortis - Watches - Jomashop

Any feedback on the best place to buy? Jomashop seems to have best pricing right now, many of the other stores charge way more...

Is there much demand for the bracelet? I could take it off and sell it on eBay as brand new out of the box. Difference in price is only $100 and I have a brand new black pilot strap that will work perfectly on this watch. What would be a reasonable price to ask?

I agree with many of the comments, the case and bezel on the Sinn is very cool, but I like the dial, crown, heritage of the Fortis.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
    All great feedback guys, and much appreciated. I am now leaning heavily towards this:
    Fortis Flieger Professional Chronograph Automatic Men's Watch 705.21.11 L.01 - Aviatis - Fortis - Watches - Jomashop

Any feedback on the best place to buy? Jomashop seems to have best pricing right now, many of the other stores charge way more...

Is there much demand for the bracelet? I could take it off and sell it on eBay as brand new out of the box. Difference in price is only $100 and I have a brand new black pilot strap that will work perfectly on this watch. What would be a reasonable price to ask?

I agree with many of the comments, the case and bezel on the Sinn is very cool, but I like the dial, crown, heritage of the Fortis.
    I've had good transactions with Jomashop. As with any gray vendor wind the watch and set the time then let it run for 12 - 24 hours to be sure it's in good condition before removing all the protective bits and wearing it. I'm not sure what the demand is for bracelets on the new models, they cost $330 new from Fortis where a Fortis leather is $110. B-42 bracelets are $420 from Fortis and do sell in the $430 +/- range on ebay.

It sounds as though you've made up your mind on this one. But I'd like to point out one more selling point for Fortis...all of the B-42 style cases and probably most, if not all other Fortis watches do NOT have a screw down crown (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this or clarify).

This is really a great design feature from my perspective. None of my watches including my Rolex will never see 200m, let alone 10m. All of my Fortis' are rated for 200m and there's no screw down crown! Good enough for me.

Side benefit #1: The watch is easier to keep running...just wind'er up. Also easier to set or correct time and change day/date.

Side benefit #2: No concern of cross threading and striping the threaded crown and stem. I've had a couple watches where I carelessly cross threaded the stem and end up having to send in for repair (early on in my watch collecting journey). So after you've done this once, or in my case twice, you become gun shy and painfully fret every time you have to unscrew/screw down the crown. Some watches seem to be more susceptible to this than others...but not an issue with my Fortis'.

Can anyone name another brand where this feature exists across such a broad spectrum of models, or at all? There probably are some, but I can't think of any.

To me, this is a really useful feature in a world where the screw down crown is a little "over sold", especial on watches that will never see salt water, let alone 200 + meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In order of purchase (latest acquisition on top):

Rolex GMT II Ceramic
    Fortis B-42 Diver Automatic white dial on black leather
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m Auto blue dial/bezel on stainless
    Marathon GSAR on Zulu band
    Victorinox Maverick Dual Time Zone on Zulu band
    Luminox Field Chrono on brown leather
    Citizen Nighthawk stainless
    Hamilton Kahki Navy on canvas band

I agree re: screw-down crowns. I have one Fortis (Pilot Pro) and one Omega (Seamaster Pro 300m) with screw-down crowns and it's just one more thing to go wrong. I have done extensive swimming in my Fortis Marinemaster with push-pull crown and never had a problem.
    WatchProblem likes this.

I came on Fortis forum for the first time looking for some advise on Fortis vs Sinn value proposition discussion and got exactly what I wanted to see.
    That is a great price for Fortis Cosmonaut chrono. I'd definitely go with that.
    WatchProblem likes this.

Watchbuys now selling Fortis at reduced "distributor direct" pricing.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Ne...anada-d171.htm

Saw this... Great news. Still torn between this (Fortis Classic Cosmonautis Chronograph Steel AM on Strap) or that (Sinn 104 I St Sa White on Strap).

OP, did you make a decision? I am currently torn between the Sinn 104 A St Sa and the Fortis Cosmonautis. I am leaning towards the Sinn, but there is currently a significant price difference between these two very similar watches.

Quote Originally Posted by SunOfAtom View Post
    OP, did you make a decision? I am currently torn between the Sinn 104 A St Sa and the Fortis Cosmonautis. I am leaning towards the Sinn, but there is currently a significant price difference between these two very similar watches.
    I actually did not in the end. I ended up buying a Hamilton Khaki Field Day Date and an Orient Bambino II V2. Still considering both brands, and while Sinn is probably the "better" of the two watches, I think the price/value of Fortis is tough to beat, especially if you are OK with buying grey market from Jomashop, etc.

Great options. I'd go with the Sinn 104 white dial. Nice bang for buck, and perhaps less common than the others.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information