Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Confused Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to posting in this forum, although I've been a longtime reader... I've recently become a collector of watches, and am trying to decide on my next timepiece. The more I look and read, the more confused I get. I was hoping I could post here to get some good advice and different perspectives. If nothing else, it will be nice to see the debate that follows :)

First, let me me tell you about the watches currently in my collection:

- Omega Seamaster 300M (Black Face)
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...1230412001003/
    This was a wedding gift from my wife, and therefore will never be sold. I have both the metal bracelet and the "snoopy" cordura strap with deployment buckle. Right now, I am wearing it on the latter.

- Seiko Turtle SRP773
    Seiko USA / Collections / Prospex / Men / Watch Model / SRP773
    This is my "beater" watch, although I take very good care of it. I wear it on a thick brown non-tapered leather strap with PAM style buckle.

- Halios Delfin (Stainless Steel)
    First Impression: Halios Delfin - Wound For LifeWound For Life
    This was a "grail" watch for me. Hunted for it for weeks, and finally found one in new condition from someone on this forum. I wear it on the supplied brown leather strap and PAM style buckle.

- Carpenter M7 Field
    https://carpenterwatches.com/collect...brooklyn-field
    This was a recent purchase as my collection lacked a good field watch and a watch with a light (cream/white) face. I love this watch as it has elements of bauhaus influence to it.

Here's what I am considering:

Sinn 103:
    Sinn 103 St Sa E Limited Edition on Strap
    Sinn 103 St Acrylic on Strap (I would get the brown strap version)

Sinn 104:
    Sinn 104 A St Sa on Strap
    Sinn 104 I St Sa White on Strap

Fortis Aviatis:
    Fortis Aviatis Flieger Professional Chronograph on Strap
    Fortis Aviatis Flieger Professional on Strap
    Fortis Aviatis Cockpit Two on Strap

Fortis Cosmonautis:
    Fortis Official Cosmonautis on Strap
    Last edited by Matt_UKTX; April 15th, 2017 at 19:59.

Re: Torn between Fortis & Sinn - Need advice

Sinn 103 is probably better than Fortis on a technical features level. I like the dial of the Aviatis pro chrono better than the Sinn though, it has more going on with it. Toss up between the Sinn 104 and Cosmonauts. Don't think there's any technical difference between them but the Fortis is the official cosmonauts automatic with the Roscosmos and Yuri Gagarin cosmonaut training center logos on the case back so there's something interesting about it. Between the two whichever looks better to you I guess. The Fortis is a little larger than the Sinn and the double anti-reflective coating on the sapphire is very nice. Between the cockpit two and Aviatis pro I'd go with the Aviatis because it has the better looking dial. Majority of your current watches have a rotating bezel. If you want something with that then rules out the Aviatis or if you want more watches without a rotating bezel than it limits you to Aviatis. Sinn and the Cosmonauts are 200M water resistant where Aviatis is 100M if that makes a difference.

What about the the Sinn 103 st Diapal?
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM '801 EE Motor Barrel'

I'd think you should be able to narrow things to between a 3-hander or a chrono? That said for the 3-handers I'd go with the Fortis. Seconds hand adds a little color, has the cool space use certification, excellent anti-reflective sapphire and it's an ETA movement instead of Sellita in the Sinn 104. Of the two Fortis I own one is +2 and the other +3 seconds per day out of the box. Fortis uses top grade ETA movements. For the chronos I'd go between the Fortis and the Sinn 103 St Sa E, both use ETA 7750. The Sinn has better specs and will probably hold value better than the Fortis. The other aspect to consider is the size, the Fortis chrono is 43mm compared to 41mm of the Sinn. For me I try to be around at least a 42mm case.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I'd assume there's a price range and the $3500 DIPAL might be above it? Also with the DIPAL escapement and gas filled case any service will likely limit you to Sinn. As far as I know the other models in question have nothing special about them that would prevent an independent from working on them. All other watches in question are day/date where DIPAL is date only which can be a bother for some people.

Both Fortis and Sinn make excellent watches for the money. Can't go wrong IMO.

One factor you may not have considered (and also may not care about) is that Sinn is an independent brand, while Fortis is now owned by Gevril Group.

Quote Originally Posted by daschlag View Post
    Both Fortis and Sinn make excellent watches for the money. Can't go wrong IMO.

One factor you may not have considered (and also may not care about) is that Sinn is an independent brand, while Fortis is now owned by Gevril Group.
    That is incorrect. Fortis is still independent. Gevril Group was at one time the sole distributor and service center in the USA for Fortis. Now Watchbuys is the distributor and RGM Watch Repair is the service center.
    WatchProblem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Unfortunately, although it's a beautiful timepiece, it's outside my budget...

Sin104 is the best choice in my opinion as if you're looking for everyday tool/nice casual watch! Some may disagree but i'm also big fan of Omega but not 300m model.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information