What is "incabloc"...

Thread: What is "incabloc"...

What is "incabloc"...

What is incabloc, and do all Fortis watches have them? Are they common in most all automatic watches?
    I searched around on google, appears to be some sort of internal system to protect the movement from shock-it sort and rubber/synthetic inner, sort of like a g-shock, or is it more intricate with springs and stuff?
    thanks inadvance
    cheers
    Derek

Fortis & Sales Moderator cuckoo4watches's Avatar

Re: What is "incabloc"...

here you go, copied from Wikipedia

The Incabloc shock protection system is used in mechanical watches, to protect the critical alignment of components in the event of an unexpected physical shock, such as being dropped onto a carpeted floor.
    The pivots and jewels of the balance are fragile in comparison to the mass they need to support, and without shock protection are the most likely part of the watch to be damaged under impact.
    The Incabloc system uses a specially shaped spring to allow the delicate jewels and pivots to shift in their settings under impact until a stronger shoulder of the staff contacts the strong metal endpiece. When the impact is over, the springs guide the parts back to their original positions.

I am not sure if all Fortis' have the Incabloc but the ones that use the ETA 2824, 2836 and 2893 do. I can't be sure about the Valjoux 7750 chrono mvmt???

hope that helps.
    Steven
    B-More

Certified Desk Diver

Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo4watches View Post
    here you go, copied from Wikipedia

The Incabloc shock protection system is used in mechanical watches, to protect the critical alignment of components in the event of an unexpected physical shock, such as being dropped onto a carpeted floor.
    The pivots and jewels of the balance are fragile in comparison to the mass they need to support, and without shock protection are the most likely part of the watch to be damaged under impact.
    The Incabloc system uses a specially shaped spring to allow the delicate jewels and pivots to shift in their settings under impact until a stronger shoulder of the staff contacts the strong metal endpiece. When the impact is over, the springs guide the parts back to their original positions.

I am not sure if all Fortis' have the Incabloc but the ones that use the ETA 2824, 2836 and 2893 do. I can't be sure about the Valjoux 7750 chrono mvmt???

hope that helps.
    As Fortis since some years generally uses ETA's "top" grade movements (or "chronometer" for the COSC certified watches), an Incabloc shock absorber will be in any new Fortis watch.

The Incabloc shock absorber is standard in ETA's "top" and "chronometer" grade movements. The lower "standard" and "elaboré" grade movements do have an Etachocs shock absorber.

So what would a Pilot Professional have in it, just out of curiousity?
    cheers
    Derek

Fortis & Sales Moderator cuckoo4watches's Avatar

if you have the 40mm Pilot Pro, it should have the ETA 2836-2 in it.

So it depends on the type movement in the watch, not the grade of that movement?
    thanks
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Denslen View Post
    So it depends on the type movement in the watch, not the grade of that movement?
    thanks
    Derek
    To elaborate Steve's answer...

What it generally depends on is (ETA movements):
    1. Type of movement
    2. Movement grade within the type

For the Pilot Pro:
    1. Movement type: The Fortis non-chrongraph Day/Date watches are all powered by the ETA 2836-2 movement. This movement comes in 4 grades from ETA.

2. Movement grade: Fortis uses only ETA top grade (apart from the few chronometers).

So: You have a top grade 2836-2 in the Pilot Pro and thus an Incabloc shock absorber.

Quote Originally Posted by cnmark View Post
    To elaborate Steve's answer...

What it generally depends on is (ETA movements):
    1. Type of movement
    2. Movement grade within the type

For the Pilot Pro:
    1. Movement type: The Fortis non-chrongraph Day/Date watches are all powered by the ETA 2836-2 movement. This movement comes in 4 grades from ETA.

2. Movement grade: Fortis uses only ETA top grade (apart from the few chronometers).

So: You have a top grade 2836-2 in the Pilot Pro and thus an Incabloc shock absorber.
    As far as I know - the movement in my Fortis Pilot Pro Day / Date is an ETA 2824 - 2, rather than the 2836 you mention. I purchased it in 2002 so perhaps they've switched movements since then? It's certainly proven itself very shock resistant whatever it is, over six years of hard wear.
    Fortis Pilot Professional Day / Date
    Glycine Airman Base 22
    Nomos Orion Datum
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (3570.50)
    Rolex GMT Master II (16710)

Minutes are the Milestones of Aviation - Fred, in 'Fools and Birds Fly'

Quote Originally Posted by whifferdill View Post
    As far as I know - the movement in my Fortis Pilot Pro Day / Date is an ETA 2824 - 2, rather than the 2836 you mention. I purchased it in 2002 so perhaps they've switched movements since then? It's certainly proven itself very shock resistant whatever it is, over six years of hard wear.
    In the Pilot Pro it's always been the 2836-2.

If it's day/date then it's a 2836-2. Just because the 2824-2 is a "date only" movement.

Fortis has the movement info given wrong on some catalog/web pages.

Thread Information