WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What is "incabloc"...

43K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dumberdrummer 
#1 ·
What is incabloc, and do all Fortis watches have them? Are they common in most all automatic watches?
I searched around on google, appears to be some sort of internal system to protect the movement from shock-it sort and rubber/synthetic inner, sort of like a g-shock, or is it more intricate with springs and stuff?
thanks inadvance
cheers
Derek

#2 ·
here you go, copied from Wikipedia

The Incabloc shock protection system is used in mechanical watches, to protect the critical alignment of components in the event of an unexpected physical shock, such as being dropped onto a carpeted floor.
The pivots and jewels of the balance are fragile in comparison to the mass they need to support, and without shock protection are the most likely part of the watch to be damaged under impact.
The Incabloc system uses a specially shaped spring to allow the delicate jewels and pivots to shift in their settings under impact until a stronger shoulder of the staff contacts the strong metal endpiece. When the impact is over, the springs guide the parts back to their original positions.

I am not sure if all Fortis' have the Incabloc but the ones that use the ETA 2824, 2836 and 2893 do. I can't be sure about the Valjoux 7750 chrono mvmt???

hope that helps.

#3 ·
As Fortis since some years generally uses ETA's "top" grade movements (or "chronometer" for the COSC certified watches), an Incabloc shock absorber will be in any new Fortis watch.

The Incabloc shock absorber is standard in ETA's "top" and "chronometer" grade movements. The lower "standard" and "elaboré" grade movements do have an Etachocs shock absorber.

#7 ·
To elaborate Steve's answer...

What it generally depends on is (ETA movements):
1. Type of movement
2. Movement grade within the type

For the Pilot Pro:
1. Movement type: The Fortis non-chrongraph Day/Date watches are all powered by the ETA 2836-2 movement. This movement comes in 4 grades from ETA.

2. Movement grade: Fortis uses only ETA top grade (apart from the few chronometers).

So: You have a top grade 2836-2 in the Pilot Pro and thus an Incabloc shock absorber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.