WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Searaider Flight Info ...

14K views 52 replies 9 participants last post by  whse 
#1 ·
Don't know if anyone wants to post this info, but I figured it would be nice to know. Might want to meet up at the airport if we are there at the same time ...

Kathy and I will be getting there Nov 1 at 12:25 pm on American Airlines Flt 561 out of Miami.

We leave on Nov 7 at 2:30 pm American Airlines Flt 1018

Never too soon to book your flights. :-!

#2 ·
Okay, I saw your other post. :-d I posted some time back about airfares and such, got not even a nibble. Wish I'd bought my ticket before oil got to where it is.

Still haven't got mine, I'll try to get it done in the next week or so. Starting (yet) another new job on Monday morning (lucky to have it, even though it's nothing great/too far from home and won't last that long....).

Anyway, I know there was word in the Searaider '08 thread from Thor on his and Whse's flight plans (no specifics). So they've got theirs.

Lets leave this up for awhile, I think arrival times in GC if similar could be something good to know (do we get rental cars at the airport? Or are they somewhere else?).

#3 ·
Okay, I saw your other post. :-d I posted some time back about airfares and such, got not even a nibble. Wish I'd bought my ticket before oil got to where it is.

Still haven't got mine, I'll try to get it done in the next week or so. Starting (yet) another new job on Monday morning (lucky to have it, even though it's nothing great/too far from home and won't last that long....).

Anyway, I know there was word in the Searaider '08 thread from Thor on his and Whse's flight plans (no specifics). So they've got theirs.

Lets leave this up for awhile, I think arrival times in GC if similar could be something good to know (do we get rental cars at the airport? Or are they somewhere else?).
Haven't bought mine yet either, but will in the next few weeks. IIRC each airline only flies into GC once a day. So, if I fly American on the 1st, I'll be on the same flight as John and kathy. Might be something to consider when booking flights.

Regarding rental cars, each room gets a car. This will definitely need to be coordinated for those of us sharing rooms. The rental place is right there at the airport. It's a short walk to the parking lot next door.

#4 ·
Haven't booked mine yet as I may be moving to Houston. Nothing certain but a possibility. Last time I went from Chicago I transited in Houston....... I think... or maybe that was when i went to Trinidad... Hmmmmmm, can't remember....... I guess this ended up as a totally meaningless post by me :)

Pete

#8 ·
You guys are on Delta, and John and kathy are on American...cool. Either way, I say we start the party on the plane.:-!

#10 ·
I'm flying out on American flt 561 also. I'm really looking forward to the trip. That said, did anyone else notice that American is now charging for the bags? I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I'm grandfathered in since I bought my tickets prior to that coming into effect. My first bag should be free (that would be the heavy one with the dive equipment, lol).

Either way, It'll be a great time. I'm really looking forward to it.

#11 ·
I'm flying out on American flt 561 also. I'm really looking forward to the trip. That said, did anyone else notice that American is now charging for the bags? I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I'm grandfathered in since I bought my tickets prior to that coming into effect. My first bag should be free (that would be the heavy one with the dive equipment, lol).

Either way, It'll be a great time. I'm really looking forward to it.
The way I read it ... for flights inside the US and Us territories ... one bag but to Grand Cayman 2 checked in bags ... Please let us know what they say.

#13 ·
I'm thinking about staying an extra day or two. Possibly to get in a few tech dives, or DPV dives with Fraser. That's why I haven't bought my ticket yet, because I'm still trying to decide.

#15 · (Edited)
Been thinking maybe a few extra days, even a week? Still unsure, but Studio808's posts got me thinking, maybe check out the accommodations and diving at the other end of the island. Just thinking stage so far though....

#18 ·
Well, I'm holding out for now to see how long my current employment lasts (I roam from job to job, this one could be over next week, or several months from now.... the longer I am there, the more likely I'll extend my stay). But if I do, I will almost certainly be moving to the other end of the island to get a feel for from what I hear, a quite different Grand Cayman experience. Most likely extension for me would be 4 diving days.

#19 ·
After reading Greg's report, the other side of the island does sound intriguing. However, there's tons on the East End that I haven't seen yet, and I've got over 30 dives over there.

Still not sure if I'm going to stay a few days extra. If I do, I'll stay put at Compass Point, 'cause that's where the scooters and the tri-mix live.;-)

#21 · (Edited)
Revisiting an old topic :-d (It's time folks!). After reviewing the costs for an extra several days at the place Studio808 had written about, I decided to pass. The cost per person was actually decent, but the "single supplement" for myself being alone was about double the cost of the per person rate :)-s). Beside, it is possible I will still be on my current job at that time, and rumor has it we'll be at crunch time (working 7/12's by then?) and it'll be hard enough to get a week off. So,....

I'm now booked on American Airlines out of Detroit (via Miami) and will be flying Miami/Georgetown with John and Cathy (And Todd and his sister if I'm not mistaken) on American 561. Also flying out with the Moors' on the 7th on American 1018. Anyone got their seat assignments yet? (I've put in requests, not yet confirmed).

Time to book the flights folks, they're getting filled up!

I'll move this thread up to the Searaiders Sub Forum (shouldn't that be SUB Forum? :-d) when it starts to work it's way down the page.

REALLY looking forward to November!

#22 ·
I'll be on your flight, T-bone, but I'm not sure about my sister. She's reserving her tickets today. I told her to try to get the same flight, but can't be sure if she will.

I'm looking forward to this trip. I've been spending almost every weekend in the water trying to get as comfortable as possible.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if the dives we're doing lend to using a DPV? I'm getting DPV training this weekend and would like to use one down there if possible.

#23 ·
On a seperate note, does anyone know if the dives we're doing lend to using a DPV? I'm getting DPV training this weekend and would like to use one down there if possible.
Not really. I've played around with one of Fraser's Gavins, but it's more for fun buzzing around the reef, than actually needing it. I've even thought about getting my own Gavin before the trip, so we could all play with it a time or two, but I've got too many other irons in the fire right now.

If you have access to one and can bring it, by all means do so. We'll at least get a kick out of watching you fly around effortlessly. What kind of DPV are you being trained on?

#24 ·
T-Bone and anyone else that wants to know ... Kathy and I are on AA flt 561 from Miami to Georgetown Nov1 seats 24B and 24C And on Nov 7 AA flt 1018 to Miami seats 17B and 17C.
Kathy and I are looking very forward to seeing Pete and Jason again and meeting the rest of you... going to be a great time ... for SURE :-!:-!

#25 ·
T-Bone and anyone else that wants to know ... Kathy and I are on AA flt 561 from Miami to Georgetown Nov1 seats 24B and 24C And on Nov 7 AA flt 1018 to Miami seats 17B and 17C.
Kathy and I are looking very forward to seeing Pete and Jason again and meeting the rest of you... going to be a great time ... for SURE :-!:-!
Well, assuming I get my requested seats, I am three rows behind you on the way home (20A). But what is funny? My requested seat on 561..... 24A! :-d (I like the window seats ;-)). I guess we'll have a chance to get acquainted on the flight from Miami to Grand Cayman :-! (Very much looking forward to it!).

#27 · (Edited)
OK, here's everyone's updated flight info. as it was presented in the main forum.

Delta Flt. 337 Arrives GC @ 11:57 am. On board:
subkrawler
THOR
whse
jclevoy
Cheryle

AA Flt. 561 Arrives GC @ 12:25 pm. On board:
T Bone
jmoors
Kathy
MTJO
TMahaun
Brit

#36 ·
OK, here's everyone's updated flight info. as it was presented in the main forum.

Delta Flt. 337 Arrives GC @ 11:35 am. On board:
subkrawler
THOR
whse
Caribbean Soul

AA Flt. 561 Arrives GC @ 12:25 pm. On board:
T Bone
jmoors
Kathy
MTJO
jclevoy
TMahaun
It looks as if Cheryle and I have joined the Delta group leaving from Atlanta, Flight #337.|>

#31 ·
I called AA at 1-800-433-7300 twice. First over a month ago and then today. I called to check on my seats and then I asked again about luggage situation. And she confirmed that we can take two pieces of 50 Lbs and a carry on for 40 Lbs. One of the pieces can be the scuba gear but no tanks allowed. This is an international flight and the charges for the bags do not apply. Thatls all I know. I hope we will not have problems on Miami. See at the gate!!
Michael

#32 ·
In writing: go to: www.aa.com under baggage exceptions it says:
The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:
"customers originating travel in the US, U S Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the US, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada".
There you have it in writting!!;-)
Michael

#34 ·
By the looks of it, 7 or 8 of us will be on AA flight 561 from Miami. Maybe we should meet early at the gate and get the party started as Ty suggested. BTW how are we going to recognize each other? Can somebody rise a diving flag?:-d
Michael

#46 ·
I'm easy to spot, I'll be the big fat blond guy wearing a Phillies T-shirt (Let's go Fightin' Phils!!!), beat up Longhorns hat, and Orange 750T Pro on my wrist. Oh yeah, I'll be carrying an Oceanic Regulator bag also (no way I'm trusting the airlines w/ my reg). Can't wait to see everyone there.

#50 ·
Holy Crap boys, I only just found this sub forum........... Jeez I think my brains are finally mince. I'm arriving a day later than you lot, don't drink all the good stuff before I get there :)

Cold here in Boston. Hotel life in Boston to be soon swapped for hotel life in the Caymans.... now that's what I'm talking about:-!

See ya all soon

Pete

#51 ·
Pete,
Don't worry, there will always be enough Caybrew to go around :-d.
Ty said I could drive again this year so it sounds like I get the opportunity to scare the hell out of anyone riding with me.
What is it with all these people driving on the wrong side of the road anyway?
What time are you getting in on Sunday? I'll pick you up at the airport (do you feel lucky, well do you Doc?)
Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.