WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Searaider travel info (general)

6K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  T Bone 
#1 ·
A few questions have come to mind that I thought might best be answered (in Forum, so others can benefit from the answers to) by someone who's been there before.

1. Power. Is GC, and specifically Ocean Frontiers set up on 110v, 220v, or? And what is the plug configuration like? (Important for chargers, computers, etc.).

2. Comms. Are there available local sim cards for cell service, and is international (to the USA) service reasonable on these? Aprox. cost/denominations to add time, etc. would be great, as well as the frequency band utilized so we'll know if our phones will work (there are 4 bands used world wide, I have an unlocked quad band phone, meaning I can get cell service anywhere I can get a sim card).

3. Currency. Is the US Dollar a common thing to use, is the local currency a big deal to obtain, and are credit cards maybe the best bet for most purchases (I bet I can already answer that last one!).

Thanks for any answers, and feel free to post any other pertinant questions you've got regarding our upcoming adventure! :-!

#2 ·
Good things to bring up. I'll cover them in the order presented......

1) Everything relating to electrical, is configured exactly like here in the US. No need for special adapters etc. Aside from the cool Caribbean breeze drifting through your room, you'd think you were in Michigan while using your laptop, electric razor, cell phone charger, etc.;-)

2) Not sure about Sim cards since my iPhone doesn't use one. I had to get my phone unlocked and an international calling plan put on my account. Can't remember the exact price per minute rate, but I don't remember getting killed on it. Of course I didn't use it that much either, mainly communicated back home via email which is free. Your best bet it to check with your cellular service provider to see how they handle international service.

3)US currency is greatly accepted. If paying in US$, you normally receive change back in the form of CI$. Cash or credit cards are equally easy to use. Here's more info. from the Cayman Islands tourism website. Sums everything up better than I can.:)

http://www.caymanislands.ky/general_information/financial_services.aspx

#3 ·
On the phone issue, I'll check with Sprint, my regular carrier (Razr) but I doubt I'll go with them. This phone has no sim card and is locked to their network (of course I'll need to find out if it will even work there). I'll post more on this when I get the info.

I also have a quad band unlocked phone (bought for travel to Iraq), a Motorola V220? Old tech, but it works (having difficulty finding it though :-d). I'll research the sim card issue too.

Of course there is another option, a computer based phone system such as Skype. I used it in Iraq with limited success, but our internet connection was shoddy and my lap top computer (since replaced) was rather sub par. It worked when tested here in the USA just fine, and it worked decent in Kuwait also. It is very inexpensive (was free domestic in USA, I think that may have changed). If anyone plans to do this (same with Yahoo Messenger with voice, or other similar programs) I'd suggest setting it up before travelling (some had trouble paying when overseas, getting unheard of payment services, etc.). More info to come.

#4 ·
To add to Subkrawlers and T Bones comments.

The rooms are set up for wireless or wired internet, did have a problem getting on line, (not enough bandwidth I think) it seemed to work better late at night or early in the morning.

I have Verizon cell service and it worked fine on the west end of the island but was a little spotty at the resort. Only made a couple of short calls but didn't notice any huge bill after getting home.

Visa credit cards (don't own a Mastercard) were accepted almost everywhere, Discover card you can probably leave at home (not real popular in GC).

According to a local, the GC dollar value floats with the US dollar 1 Cayman dollar is worth 1.25 US dollars and everyone takes US dollars.

When you get your rental car they will sell you a temporary GC drivers license at the rental desk (I think it was 7 dollars). As I recall the insurance the rental car company sells is pretty expensive so you might want to see if you can get or have a rental car waver from your own insurance company

And keep telling yourself as you drive LEFT, LEFT, LEFT. Unless you have THOR or Subkrawler with you in which case they do a great job of reminding you :-d:-d:-d.

Randy

#5 ·
When you get your rental car they will sell you a temporary GC drivers license at the rental desk (I think it was 7 dollars). As I recall the insurance the rental car company sells is pretty expensive so you might want to see if you can get or have a rental car waver from your own insurance company
Randy
I contacted Lesley at the resort concerning the car insurance issue, she sent this link that explains it very well:
http://www.aviscayman.com/CoverageInformation.htm

Call me a wuss, but after reading I think I'll op to take their insurance. The last thing I want or need is to run into an issue with my credit card company which normally covers the CDW part. If I was in the states I wouldn't worry about it, plus I don't like the idea of a $1500 hold on my credit card. I might want to buy a watch or something while there ....

Just my 2 cents ....:-d

#6 ·
Yah, I know what you mean I checked with my insurance company (Hartford) and they said that I'm covered if I'm in the US or any of its' territories. GC= no coverage. Last year I hadn't checked and was under the assumption that I would be covered, got lucky and had no problems. This year I'll make sure I get the insurance too. Randy

#7 ·
Hi Randy .... tried to figure out the costs and I think with everything for the insurance, license, additional fees, and the gas ... that free rental car is going to cost me about 200 bucks. hahahahahaha Oh well ... whatcha going to do right oh ya drive left drive left drive left ....

I need to go listen to Petes video again!!! See ya soon,

John

#8 ·
More Questions Re: Searaider travel info (general)

Laundry? Wondering if there are facilities at Ocean Frontiers for this, or better yet, in the rooms? The answer may have a bearing on how I pack.

More on clothes, I'm mostly a jeans/T shirt sort. Is there any need to pack anything more upscale?

And what evening/night temperatures should we plan for? A light jacket, a sweatshirt, or? What would those who've been there consider as adequate?

#9 ·
Re: More Questions Re: Searaider travel info (general)

Laundry? Wondering if there are facilities at Ocean Frontiers for this, or better yet, in the rooms? The answer may have a bearing on how I pack.

More on clothes, I'm mostly a jeans/T shirt sort. Is there any need to pack anything more upscale?

And what evening/night temperatures should we plan for? A light jacket, a sweatshirt, or? What would those who've been there consider as adequate?
Each room has it's own washer and dryer, so you're covered there.

As far as clothes go...it's very laid back, so nothing too fancy is required. I remember last year when we ate at the Lighthouse, I wore a decent pair of khaki shorts and a short sleeve polo shirt. I felt a little under dressed and would have been more comfortable if I'd had on a pair of khaki pants/chinos. That was the only place though, as the other places we went, I felt fine wearing shorts at night. I do feel more comfortable wearing a shirt with a collar at night, but I tend to overdress most of the time anyway, so don't take my perspective as the gospel. Whatever you're comfortable with is the best route to go.

Landmark Jewelers is going to have an open house for us one night with appetizers, beer and champagne. It's a nice store and a nice thing for them to do for the Searaiders, so I plan to return the gesture by wearing something a little nicer as well. I plan on wearing a pair of chinos and a casual long sleeve shirt w/ the sleeves rolled up for that.

Regarding temps...the temperature for Nov. hangs around 80deg day and night. Last year, I never recalled wishing I had a jacket at night. For some of the ladies who may be more cold-natured, it may be a good idea to have something. Since it'll probably be cool here when I get on the plane, I'll have some type of jacket with me, but I doubt I'll pull it out until I get back home.

Here's what I'm bringing:

2 pairs of khaki shorts, either plain or cargo
2 or 3 knit polo shirts
1 or 2 T-shirts (maybe)
1 pair of khaki pants
1 casual long sleeve shirt
3 or 4 undershirts
3 or 4 pairs of boxer shorts
1 pair of leather "flip-flops"(that's another word I hate:-d)

Like I said there are washers and dryers in each room, so I try to go as light as possible. As heavy as dive gear is, and with the weight restrictions the airlines put on you, you almost have to.;-)

#10 ·
Subkrawler said:
Like I said there are washers and dryers in each room, so I try to go as light as possible. As heavy as dive gear is, and with the weight restrictions the airlines put on you, you almost have to.;-)
To that end, I may try to get away with one checked bag (paying $15 for the first, $25 for a second.... each way!).

So, this begets the question.... would a dive gear bag (I have one of those old Oceanic backpacks from the 1980's) be either nec. or desirable? Or maybe I wad up a mesh bag and pack it to keep my dive gear in, and put it in my luggage? (My regs will be in my carry on, fins/suit/BCD/etc. in luggage).

What do you think?

#11 ·
T,
Last year I brought a dive bag for all my gear and never used it. They have an oversized plastic tub that you put all your gear in and it disappears from outside your room on the first day and magically appears on the boat every morning. Really full service the only thing I ever carried down to the boat was my regs and computer( they were brand new and I was pretty attached to them). The boat will have mask defog, towels, water and something they call lemonade :-s, you might want to bring a bottle of gatorade or something to drink (if you like flavored fluids) they have a cooler on board for that use.
Oh yah, they supply laundry soap gratis but if you like to use fabric softner you might want to tuck a few sheets in your bag. You will be expected to wash your own towels during your stay or arrange for the maids to do it at an additional cost.
God I'm getting antsy, can't wait for the 1st.
Randy

#12 ·
Whse is right, you load BC, fins, boots, and wetsuit in a big gray crate that's waiting outside your room upon arrival. You don't handle it again unless you're gearing up for a dive, or packing it to go home. They wash it, store it and lug it back and forth to the boat each day. I'm anal about my light, masks, instruments and regs, so I take those back to the room each day. The light gets recharged and I give the regs, instruments. and masks a soak in the kitchen sink.

Bags wise, I've carried more in the past, but this year I'm only carrying a big heavy-duty duffel, a big Scubapro backpack that I carry on, and my brief case. The clothes, toiletry kit, wetsuit, fins, boots, and BC go in the duffel. Since I just pulled the trigger on a Sony DSCW300 w/ housing:-!, I'm leaving the monster Nikon w/ housing at home this time. That means the Pelican case 1550 stays home too, which will be a nice change of pace. The regs, light and instruments, go in the carry-on backpack, but I may try to check these, if there's room in the duffel. Security normally thinks my light is a bomb, and get pretty nervous when it goes through the X-ray scanner. I always get pulled aside and asked to unpack everything as they wipe it all down with those "Stridex" pad looking things. A total PITA.:-d The laptop, log book, and whatever Dirk Pitt adventure I may be reading at the time, go in the brief case.

We're so close, I can almost taste the conch chowder.:-!

#13 ·
I'm relieved that Ty hasn't relented on his onslaught against the conchs. :-d

I'm also planning on checking most all of my gear, except my regs perhaps - new, so I'll be attached for a while. Like Ty's light canister, security didn't much like the look of my spare air tank either. So, to avoid the obligatory body cavity search, it will be checked as well.

I hadn't read about the Landmark open house before - what a nice deal - they were all thoroughly nice people. I suppose they're anticipating another significant purchase from the Searaider group... I wouldn't doubt it - especially if they're going to get us liquored up first ;-)

For the last, oh, year or so this trip seemed so far in the distance, now it's finally happening "soon", and I'm ready!

Gavin

#15 ·
New questions: SubK has mentioned picking up supplies. Are there places for this near Ocean Frontiers, or do we need to do this on the other end of the island?

#16 ·
T,
As I recall there is a nice sized grocery store on the way to OF (supermarket style) and about a mile beyond OF is a smaller market style store. My memory isn't good enough to give you directions to either, but they're pretty easy to find. Randy

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Randy, the larger one is I assume nearer the resort than the airport? How far is it from the airport to the resort?

One additional thing folks might want to bring along this time 'round.... rain gear :-(. Not wanting to throw a damper, but I looked at the extended forecast today, and they're calling for at least a chance of (sometimes isolated) thunderstorms each of our first 4 days. Substantial winds too. I've got a lightweight Gortex rain jacket that will be in my carry on. Then again, weather is far from an exact science here. I can't imagine it's any easier on a Caribbean island. So all is subject to change (improvement :-!).

#18 ·
T,
Been using google earth (a very cool tool if you have DSL) to refresh my memory, so this is the best my failing memory and google can do. When you get done with customs and all the baggage fun you'll be exiting out of the north side of the terminal building. Turn left and start walking, the car rental place is across the street west of the terminal. Once loaded you will be driving around the west side of the runways before you get to the end of the runway on the north side of the road is a Fosters supermarket. This isn't the one that we shopped at last year but it's hard to miss. Just don't buy anything that needs to stay frozen you have about a 20 mile drive to OF.
The one that we shopped at last year is on the east end of George Town near one of the roundabouts (I think). The other market that we stopped at is a little over 3 miles past (north) of OF and it's name is Foleys food fair ( so much for my memory I thought it was only a mile:oops:). Foleys is a smaller store but very easy to find and has most everything you would need at least for the first couple of mornings until we get back to the big city.
Randy

#19 ·
Thanks! That oughtta cover it really well. From Dana's directions, sounds like there's only one roundabout enroute, but Google Earth will get some play from me tomorrow night as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.