On any BR model, how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched?

Thread: On any BR model, how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On any BR model, how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched?

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and was wondering how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched? Do you prefer the Carbon Coat over PVD?

Any suggestions or Comments is most appreciated. :thanks

Cheers,
    Akira23
    Tempus Fugit.....

Re: On any BR model, how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched?

use a #2 pencil?

The carbon coating on the B&R is basically PVD. It is very easy to scratch, specially on sharp edges like on the bezel. I don't think there is anything you can do about it except replacing the bezel/lugs/case. I've tried hiding the scratches with a sharpie and it eventually rubs off. I'm a bit disappointed at how fragile the coating seems to be.
    www.lifeofawis.com
    Instagram @lifeofawis

ever try carbon paper? after the transfer, heat it up for a minute and see if it stays.

B&R makes tool watches. The more roughed up they get, the better they look IMO.

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) and the so-called Carbon finish (which in B&R's case is not DLC - Diamond-Like Carbon) are only deposited on the surface of the metal, not deeply bonded to the metal. As a result, the coatings provide more character than anything else. My point is that I actually like the more worn look of of PVD - the way it looks after months of daily wear. The edge wear gives the watch even more character and, in my view, helps to tell the story of its use.

I understand that many watch lovers prefer their timepieces to look unblemished. I don't. Every timepiece in my own collection sports each and every nick, ding, abrasion and scratch it has ever received. I just picked up my old GMT Master from RSC in Toronto. The technicians did a bit of hand polishing to remove the very lightest scratches, but respected my written request on the service form to leave the rest of the usage marks intact. Even the service receptionist agreed, when I picked it up, that it still looked like my watch rather than looking like a shiny new watch identical to everyone else's GMT Master. There's something to be said for that.

try beachwood casey black touch up pen. its for touching up guns. get the black not the blue. doc

These PVD watches can be refinished but it is really expensive. You really have to be careful and a watch-aware type guy if you want to keep it looking close to perfect.

Senior Editor (UK) 0024 simoncudd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akira23 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and was wondering how do you care for the Carbon coat if it get's scratched? Do you prefer the Carbon Coat over PVD?

Any suggestions or Comments is most appreciated. :thanks

Cheers,
    Akira23

.....just scratch it some more!!!!!

Le Phantom !!!!!!
    Simon
    Senior Editor (UK) 0024 WatchWorld
    s.cudd@0024watchworld.com
    @simoncudd @0024watchworld

Quote Originally Posted by Agitater View Post
    B&R makes tool watches. The more roughed up they get, the better they look IMO.

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) and the so-called Carbon finish (which in B&R's case is not DLC - Diamond-Like Carbon) are only deposited on the surface of the metal, not deeply bonded to the metal. As a result, the coatings provide more character than anything else. My point is that I actually like the more worn look of of PVD - the way it looks after months of daily wear. The edge wear gives the watch even more character and, in my view, helps to tell the story of its use.

I understand that many watch lovers prefer their timepieces to look unblemished. I don't. Every timepiece in my own collection sports each and every nick, ding, abrasion and scratch it has ever received. I just picked up my old GMT Master from RSC in Toronto. The technicians did a bit of hand polishing to remove the very lightest scratches, but respected my written request on the service form to leave the rest of the usage marks intact. Even the service receptionist agreed, when I picked it up, that it still looked like my watch rather than looking like a shiny new watch identical to everyone else's GMT Master. There's something to be said for that.

GREAT post. I agree wholeheartedly. While I might have some reservations about scratching/ wearing out a 2k+ watch, I think it "becomes a part of you".

I had to dig up this pic (not mine) of a very worn/ loved Sinn 656s. I think the pics illustrate this idea that worn PVD looks awesome!!

* Sinn 656
    * Sinn 956 Klassik
    * Hacher Airtimer
    * Bell & Ross BR03-92 Military
    * MKII Combat Diver
    * MKII Quad 10
    *Raven Vintage Sub
    *Lots o" Seiko's :^)

Quote Originally Posted by cuddsville View Post

.....just scratch it some more!!!!!

Le Phantom !!!!!!
    Cuddsville,

Oh. my. God. That takes balls- but looks amazing!!!! I love the final turnout. Really nice job, and adds so much character.
    * Sinn 656
    * Sinn 956 Klassik
    * Hacher Airtimer
    * Bell & Ross BR03-92 Military
    * MKII Combat Diver
    * MKII Quad 10
    *Raven Vintage Sub
    *Lots o" Seiko's :^)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information