Thread: Opinion on B&R size

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Opinion on B&R size

    Hey all, lurked for a while, decided to register and post. Seems like you are all pretty willing to provide each other with help and suggestions, and if nothing else, witty banter.

    Anyway, I have been toying with the idea of procuring a BR 03-92 for some time now, but have some concerns about its size (whether it is too small or not). Firstly, as far as circular watches go, I usually don't like to go above 45mm. I have one watch that is circular, 47mm and about 52mm with the crown (!!!). I know not everybody will share this opinion so please don't take this personally if you're reading, but I get the feeling that people have a hard time taking me seriously when wearing a watch that big. My everyday wearer is a 44mm Swiss Army infantry chrono, which I think is close to the perfect size for my tastes.

    That said, do you guys think does the square case of the 03-92 make it look bigger than it actually is? I don't think I would like the 46mm 01-92 because of how big it is, but I have read more than a couple threads of people that say their 42mm B&R look like "toys" after having worn the 46mm 01-92. So given my tastes described above, do you think the 03-92 would be a good fit? (In case it isn't clear, I would like a watch that appears to be a little bigger than a circular 42mm watch, but does not look enormous like my 47mm watch.. PS, I have a 7.5" wrist if that matters to anyone.)

    Thanks for reading!

  2. #2
    Member thsiao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    IMHO...

    I personally am a fan of larger watches... usually in the 44mm range. I tried on both the 03 and the 01 and I have to say that the 03 is just too small, even on my 6.5" wrist. The 01 just had more wrist presence (maybe a tad too large for my wrist size but still doable). The 03 on my wrist just felt small and looked funny. I think the B&R design is great and is one to be recognized, it is not a watch you would wear if you want to be under the radar... so I would definitely pick the 01 over the 03.
    AP - Rolex - Cartier - Panerai - Zenith - IWC - Chopard - Chanel - Bell & Ross - TAG Heuer - Seiko - Others

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    Quote Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
    IMHO...

    I personally am a fan of larger watches... usually in the 44mm range. I tried on both the 03 and the 01 and I have to say that the 03 is just too small, even on my 6.5" wrist. The 01 just had more wrist presence (maybe a tad too large for my wrist size but still doable). The 03 on my wrist just felt small and looked funny. I think the B&R design is great and is one to be recognized, it is not a watch you would wear if you want to be under the radar... so I would definitely pick the 01 over the 03.
    Thanks for the reply.

    At the end of the day, I am just going to have to go and try both of them on to compare for myself (unfortunately I live in DC and the only local retailer is Tournaeu, and last I checked, they did not have any in stock).

    I guess more is coming into play here than just my size preference for a watch. As far as styling goes, I don't know if there is an "industry term" that describes me, but I am pretty subtle. I don't like to wear things that scream "look at me!", but I do enjoy high quality clothes, watches, shoes, jackets, etc., that people in the know (i.e., other people that enjoy such things) will recognize and appreciate. That said, I guess the reason I am more drawn to the 03 is because it seems small enough not to be the first thing people notice about me, but large enough for someone to say to themselves "hey, i didn't notice it at first, but that's a really cool watch that dude's wearing."

    Does that make sense?

  4. #4
    Member akira23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    979

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    I've had both the 03-92 & the 01-92 and when they are together, the 03 looks like a toy! So I sold mine. I do get comments from 'un-educated' folks, but it's all good!

    Good luck on your quest!
    Tempus Fugit.....

  5. #5
    Member OrisLvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    168

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    It may sound goofy, but the B&R website has actual size cutouts you can print out and try on. I only know because I am trying to decide the same thing. Still haven't made up my mind, but I am leaning towards the 03.

  6. #6
    Member jooboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    194

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    I wore the BR03 for about a year and thought it was a decent size. However, I just recently bought a PAM320 and it has made the BR03 look really small now (the difference in thickness is also a large factor in this). So, to check things out, I went to an AD and tried on a BR01 and it seemed to fit "better", to the point that I am considering getting an 01 now. Just my opinion, but i think with your 7.5" wrist, the larger 01 might be a better match for you.
    Current:
    - Omega Aquaterra 2500B - Bell & Ross BR 03-92 - Panerai PAM 320 - Omega Speedmaster Pro (Hesalite) -
    Wish List:
    - IWC Portuguese Automatic or Manual-Wind - PAM 210 -
    Grail:
    Minute Repeater

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    Thanks for the replies guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by akira23 View Post
    I've had both the 03-92 & the 01-92 and when they are together, the 03 looks like a toy! So I sold mine. I do get comments from 'un-educated' folks, but it's all good!

    Good luck on your quest!
    This is what I'm afraid of. Like I said, I think I might just have to go try them on. I do have one larger watch which I already think is just too big... it's really not an issue of "watch size-to-wrist size" for me, it just draws a little too much attention for my liking (I don't even know if that makes sense but hopefully somebody gets my gist.. but as I already noted I don't really want my watch to stand out, I just want it to be subtly classy). The on-wrist pictures I've seen of the 01s lead me to believe they look bigger than they actually are, which is a look I'm not particularly keen on.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrisLvr
    It may sound goofy, but the B&R website has actual size cutouts you can print out and try on. I only know because I am trying to decide the same thing. Still haven't made up my mind, but I am leaning towards the 03.
    haha, you're right, it does sound goofy, but I will definitely be strapping paper watches to my wrist within minutes of posting this reply. Thanks for letting me know!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jooboy
    I wore the BR03 for about a year and thought it was a decent size. However, I just recently bought a PAM320 and it has made the BR03 look really small now (the difference in thickness is also a large factor in this). So, to check things out, I went to an AD and tried on a BR01 and it seemed to fit "better", to the point that I am considering getting an 01 now. Just my opinion, but i think with your 7.5" wrist, the larger 01 might be a better match for you.
    Gotcha. I know the industry is leaning more and more towards larger watches, but I'm just not sure if I'll ever really hop on board (for example, the 53mm U-Boat watches, while maintaining a design aesthetic I am particularly fond of, are just just way too big, to the point of ridiculousness). My main concern is versatility in a watch, something I can wear with my work clothes (button down and a vest with slacks, or a full suit depending on my client), as well as my after work and weekend clothes (jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, casual button downs, etc.).

    Thanks again guys!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    Hey guys,

    I just printed out pictures of the watches in actual size, and I have a question. Does the 42mm and 46mm measurements for each watch include the crown or not? Because I just printed out an "actual size" picture of the 03 and unless something is messed up with how my printer is working, it appears as though the case, not including the crown, only measures about 38/39mm. Does this sound right?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    Quote Originally Posted by jmbb37 View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just printed out pictures of the watches in actual size, and I have a question. Does the 42mm and 46mm measurements for each watch include the crown or not? Because I just printed out an "actual size" picture of the 03 and unless something is messed up with how my printer is working, it appears as though the case, not including the crown, only measures about 38/39mm. Does this sound right?
    Phew, sorry guys, false alarm... my printer was scaling the photo down to fit on one page. I corrected it.

  10. #10
    Member ReXTless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North
    Posts
    891

    Re: Opinion on B&R size

    Get the smaller size. The big one is everything you are hoping to avoid.
    Sub-C - 116610
    Speedmaster Pro - 3570.50
    Tudor Black Bay
    Omega PO XL 2500
    JLC Master Control Memovox (FS)


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •