Driving ambition: Felix Baumgartner to drive Audi R8 LMS in 24 race at the Nürburgring

Thread: Driving ambition: Felix Baumgartner to drive Audi R8 LMS in 24 race at the Nürburgring

Watchuseek Editor

Driving ambition: Felix Baumgartner to drive Audi R8 LMS in 24 race at the Nürburgring

Name:  FB1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  274.6 KB

Inevitably after breaking the world record for a parachute jump from the stratosphere, you come back down to earth with a bump. Eventually the time comes when you need to find yourself a fresh new challenge. Two years on, in the case of extreme athlete Felix Baumgartner, he has decided to race with the Audi race experience team on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife.

For the 2014 season, the Audi R8 LMS ultra provides him with a 419 kW (570 hp) ‘pure-bred’ GT3 race car. The 45-year-old is now completing an extensive preparation program before competing in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring on June 21/22, 2014. His team-mates are equally prominent: The five time Le Mans winner Frank Biela (D), the three-time Le Mans winner Marco Werner (D) as well as the GT and sports car pro Pierre Kaffer (D) will be his colleagues in the cockpit.

“This task is totally exciting and I’m looking forward to driving races in an Audi. During initial tests in the road-going Audi R8 I got to know the Nürburgring, and in the Audi R8 LMS ultra I’ve clocked a few kilometers on various tracks as well. I regard this task as one of the major projects in my life. The environment is perfect, the atmosphere is fantastic, and I feel really well taken care of by the Audi race experience. But it’s also clear that I’m basically starting from scratch because this sport is new for me.” Felix Baumgartner

Former professional rally driver Josef ‘Sepp’ Haider, now the Audi race experience’s sporting director, is one of the instructors of his Austrian compatriot. “Felix is approaching his new task in exactly the manner that is the hallmark of a pro,” says Haider. “He’s eager to learn, has good judgment of the physical conditions, and is totally motivated. All team members have come to respect him in the initial tests. I’m very much looking forward to our joint journey.”

Once again the El Primero stratos Flyback Striking 10th, the first watch to break the speed of sound in October 2012, will accompany Felix Baumgartner in his new adventure and will be an accurate and reliable partner all race long.

Visit the Zenith Watches website

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Driving ambition: Felix Baumgartner to drive Audi R8 LMS in 24 race at the Nürburgring

Looks like the man is addicted to speed. Good on him - hope he win.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Driving ambition: Felix Baumgartner to drive Audi R8 LMS in 24 race at the Nürburgring

For him, this Audi's top speed will seem slow.

Thread Information