WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Good Job Zenith, you confused me !!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hartmut Richter 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm getting ready to make my first Zenith dive ;-) , but there are somethings confusing me! :think:

Please help me answering the following two questions

1- The El Primero 36'000 VPH (03.2040.400-21.C496)
I see on Zeniths website that in the lower sub-dial (6 O'clock) it says "Automatic". however, in Zenith's 2011 catalog and some dealers, it says "Chronometer" !!
Is one newer than the other?

Here is Zenith's website and compare it with the pic below ZENITH - Official Website

2- What's the difference between the El Primero 36'000 and El Primero Captain Chronograph? Is one is classier Or sportier than the other?
It seams the only difference is the Water resistance 100m vs 50m.
Captain ZENITH - Official Website
EP 36'000 ZENITH - Official Website

Oh, BTW the "Chronometer" vs "Automatic" inconsistency mentioned above also applies to the EP captain !! o|

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
"Automatic" are the new ones. That's not to say that they are less accurate than the ones from last year. There are other subtle dial changes as well.

The 36000 is sportier, the Captain classier. The pushers are different and the Captain doesn't have the tachy scale. The movement is the same for both.

#5 ·
Looking closely at the models on the Zenith website, #2 (example on bracelet) states that it is COSC certified, yet it also states "Automatic" on the dial. #3 (example on strap) does not mention COSC certification. Maybe it is possible to get the watch without or (presumably at greater cost) with COSC certification. However, I would not rule out the possibility that Zentih "tampered" with the dials! Not a good idea - it gives the forgers more leeway.

Hartmut Richter

#6 ·
My understanding is that they are not COSC certified anymore, hence the change to "automatic"- a pointless description, it's not like they make non-automatcs. Their website is never up to date/no one seems to check to make sure info is up do date and matches items correctly.

#7 ·
It seems likely that Zenith decided to cut corners and not COSC certify their movements, which would make sense if it makes no difference as far as sales go, but is expensive for the company. If this is the reason, I can understand it, but it saddens me. Zenith is a high end brand, and making such changes for current models feels...cheap. I expect stability and conservatism from a respected watch manufacture.

#8 ·
That would surprise me too - the costs of having a movement certified are not that great. Mido demonstrate that the overall additional costs can be cut down to ca. 200 Euros if not less. I much preferred the old days when the entire ChronoMaster range, El Primero or Elite, was certified, making it stick out a little from the other ranges (at that time: Class, Port Royal and Rainbow).

Hartmut Richter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.