My "new" Rare 1988 Zenith Defy El Primero Chrono ref #
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chronodog

Thread: My "new" Rare 1988 Zenith Defy El Primero Chrono ref #

My "new" Rare 1988 Zenith Defy El Primero Chrono ref #

I bought this at auction a few weeks ago. I didn't really know anything about it and thought it looked a little strange but I threw out what I thought was a lowball bid and won it. It was listed as NOS with the original hang tag. When I received it I couldn't believe how cool this watch looked in person so I googled the reference # and was shocked to see there was an entire thread about this watch on WUS. According to the thread this watch was made in 1988 and was kind of an in between model made as Zenith was moving to the Defy line. Only 340 were made and I guess it is relatively collectible. Can't decide if I want to keep it or sell it. I listed it on ebay just to see what kind of traffic/offers/comments I would receive. Here are the some pics- love to hear what people think about this watch,
    Name:  IMG_3596.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_3597.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  86.1 KBName:  IMG_3600.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  71.1 KB

It is in amazing condition with almost no visible wear. I really can't decide if I want to take some links out and wear it, put it in the safe and keep it or sell it. I would hate to wear it and get any dings/scratches on it but it is cool to look at!!
    ThomG likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: My "new" Rare 1988 Zenith Defy El Primero Chrono ref #

WOW - congratulations!! A lovely looking watch, in rare state. I don't think it's a Defy, though - that had a different bezel (unless there was more than one style of Defy with the anchor logo on the dial). Does it have a screw down crown?

The Reference number for that one is 59.0730.400. If you don't wear it and keep it, it will be wasted. If you don't wear it and sell it, someone else will scratch it. I'd wear it as much as I could (daily?!), if I was worried about the bracelet, I'd try to get a generic one that looks very similar or put in on a NATO strap or some other option but if the watch gets slightly scratched, the bracelet might as well too to keep them similar. The ultimate solution to all your problems (highly recommendable, but not to everyone else's taste) would, of course, be to donate it to the "Hartmut Richter Appreciation Society"!!

Hartmut Richter

I am sure you probably know better than I do I am just going by what I found on WUS. After I got it I googled the reference number and found a long thread on this watch from some guys that sounded like they knew what they were talking about lol. Supposedly they only made 340 of this reference # and it was a tweener model and didn't have the Defy name on it but again I may have either read it wrong or they didn't know what they were talking about lol. The auction house had it listed as a Defy so between that and what I found on WUS that is why I believe it is a Defy (and a very rare one). I listed it on eBay for 3X what I paid and if someone takes it there fine if not I will keep it. I have so many watches and love them all and just bought 2 more today lol (another JR Aquascope Hakusai from a WUS member and a Rolex Army watch at an auction).

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, they certainly only made 340 of yours. There is a watch with similar dial but different bezel and that is a Defy (Ref. 19.2000.400 - review can be found here: Teardown + Service: Zenith El Primero Defy calibre 400 | Watch Guy ; also came with white dial). It also has a screw down crown and pushers so it is waterproof.

Hartmut Richter

Looks like an El Primero had a love child with a Constellation and a Royal Oak

yes it is an unusual looking watch but it looks so much better on the wrist than the pics would indicate. I listed it on eBay just to see what kind of interest it would draw and at a price I would be willing to sell but barring that It will stay in the collection. There is another one listed on eBay from Italy for $2200 but not as nice as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chronodog View Post
    yes it is an unusual looking watch but it looks so much better on the wrist than the pics would indicate. I listed it on eBay just to see what kind of interest it would draw and at a price I would be willing to sell but barring that It will stay in the collection. There is another one listed on eBay from Italy for $2200 but not as nice as mine.
    I hope you keep it, so I can see it when we have lunch some time...

Regards,

Tom
    Last edited by ThomG; July 20th, 2016 at 05:36.

Thread Information