On the runway: Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40 mm Lady

Thread: On the runway: Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40 mm Lady

Watchuseek Editor

On the runway: Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40 mm Lady

Name:  Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 “40?mm Lady with diamonds.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  55.2 KB

The Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40mm Lady is inspired by the watches and on-board instruments that Zenith produced in the early days of aviation. Now the Pilot Collection soars to new heights by introducing its first feminine model: An eloquent tribute to the great aviation conquests accomplished by Zenith, this timepiece comes in four different versions expressing a free-spirited approach to time and a desire to explore uncharted territory.

In the early years of the 20th century, Zenith became one of the first companies to produce flight instruments to equip the planes and airships of the first aviation pioneers. Louis Blériot had his Zenith watch firmly strapped to his watch when he flew over the Channel in 1909, as did Léon Morane who a year later became the first pilot ever to fly at a speed of more than 100 km/h.

In the 1930s and 1940s, the Montre d’Aéronef Zenith Type 20 equipped a number of aircraft, including the famous Caudron Simoun C.635 planes used by the French airforce for training purposes, and by the Air Bleu postal company for international and transatlantic routes.

Decades later, the contemporary Pilot Montre d’Aéronef represents a modern-day embodiment of precision and reliability within a timepiece. The Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 “40 mm Lady” features a generous 40 mm case equipped with a ratcheted crown evoking historical aviator watches, while the Zenith Flying Instruments logo engraved on the case-back serves as a reminder of the origins of this timepiece.

Name:  Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 “40?mm Lady diamonds.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  80.0 KB

In its glamorous full-set versions, the dial, bezel and lugs are adorned with 491 diamonds (approx. 3 carats) set on rose or white gold, while it also comes with a more discreet silver-tone dial bearing a minute track and diamonds set exclusively on the rose gold or steel bezel (approx. 0.95 cts).

Name:  Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 “40?mm Lady.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  42.6 KB

Whether flamboyant or subtle, the Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40mm Lady showcases the original large Arabic numerals made from blocks of SuperLuminova to ensure optimal readability in even the most extreme situations.

The watch is water-resistant to 100 metres and is powered by an automatic Elite 681 movement driving a small seconds sub dial at 9 o’clock. The watch comes on an elegant strap fitted with a pin buckle in beige or black satin for the full-set models; and brown alligator leather for those with diamonds on the bezel alone.

Visit the Zenith website
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; July 15th, 2013 at 13:37.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: On the runway: Zenith Pilot Montre d’Aéronef Type 20 40 mm Lady

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I can see nothing in any of these watches that qualifies them as being part of the "Pilot" range. Or any "Pilot" range. I think that the "cathedral" hands are a little weak as a link to that particular Zenith range and other watches got loads o' lume too.....

Still, this is not to say that they are ugly, tasteless or kitsch. If my wife liked one of these and we had the spare cash, I wouldn't stand in her way - or keep making snide remarks when she wore it. I would just point out every now and then that, as a Pilot watch, it is a little off-style.....

Hartmut Richter

When I was at the factory, the only diamond-encrusted watch I saw was not a Pilot. I can't say they are unattractive; they are not. But Pilot is not the first thing that pops into my head. I have to agree with Hartmut here.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Thanks for the info....

Hartmut Richter
    Quote Originally Posted by D N Ravenna View Post
    When I was ....

Cheers,

Dan
    Both good posts. I seriously doubt any lady pilots would wear one of these pieces. That being said, these are definitely impressive bling pieces for the image-conscious lady in your life. I wouldn't wear my Montre while flying either. Of course, since i don't fly, it won't be an issue.

Thread Information