Superior....the little difference around 1918
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SilkeN

Thread: Superior....the little difference around 1918

Superior....the little difference around 1918

In the moment I'm really kissed by collectors luck. Always looking for early watches out of the billodes streed and trying to catch the differend brands I stumbled again over a quite rare and nice Zenith. I've seen several times Zenith movement out of this aera with the additional title : Prima. All together build a mixed picture. They usually differ a little bid to the standard like 17 jewels, srewed chartons or a rosat regulage but you can find all these fittings also in movements without the title : Prima and some of those seems not to differ in any way. The other title I've read about was: "superior". Usually these watches are out of budget but I could grap a non runner with some dents and a well used case thus the most collectors avoid. Again a hooray to my watchmaker and I proudly present a wonderful exact running pocket watch:

Name:  Superior.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  118.0 KB

Here is definetly a difference to the "normal" Serie. With additional capstones on the leverweel you can count 19 jewels but for me the big surprise was the wonderful and big balance. I tried to make a picture compared to a normal one. Unfortunately I wasn'd able to get both balances sharp on one picture to retain the size but I think is sharp enough for comparison:

Name:  SAM_3850.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  193.3 KB
    and because its so beautiful the balance in sharp:

Name:  SAM_3841.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  144.9 KB

the other side of the movement is nice but commun except the second capstone:

Name:  SuperiorZBseite.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  105.6 KB

My summery: A wonderful three hand "understatement" Pocketwatch in a unpretentious 900'er silver dress and probably the higest grade movement which was sold as a serial product those times. Of course the watches submittet for chronometer competitions are a higher grade and not compareable but I'm very happy to see this one running in my hands.

Kind regards Silke
    probep likes this.
    That's what I think about today:Hidden Content

Re: Superior....the little difference around 1918

Congratulations, Silke, it is very nice indeed.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

And another blast on it ....just came in and unfortunately a hand is broken as well as the winding spring. I've nothing matching in my fundus . This will fixed soon but I'm so happy that I can't wait to cry out LOOK:

Name:  SAM_3005.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  78.5 KB

Fine 900'er silver case with gold hinges, double sunk enamel dial, phantastic styled numers ánd when you open the nut you see the "extra"

Name:  SAM_3006.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  93.9 KB

...silke continue to breathe

All the splendor from both sides:

Name:  Bilder aneinanderreihen.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB

and perfect finsh and quality were you loock (the lever in the bachground is a "normal" Zenith NVSI Lever)

Name:  Escapement.jpg
Size:  41.7 KB

Strike - a blind chicken also finds a grain participate in my joy. I always thought the "extra" variation came some years later with the request of the canadioan railway. This is just a "Extra" earlier and without time set modifications.

Silke

(case: 3284655 5025 movement: 1671666)
    Last edited by SilkeN; 1 Day Ago at 23:21.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

That's really interesting, Silke! It looks as if the "normal" lever has a wider fork. Is that actually the case? And if so, do you know why? I presume both movements run at 18000 A/h so that one would expect the exact time for the transmission jewel to traverse the pallet fork to be less in the narrower fork (assuming that the balance rotates at the same speed).....

Hartmut Richter

I'm not able to give a proper answer because all levers seems to differ a bid depending on the size of the movement. Interchargeable peaces are just a dream for collectors . I just took a lever out of my stock with nearly the same size to show the difference of the finish. Fact is that this balance is bigger (ring and srews) and has another shape of the rib and own as well as the superprior a stronger spiral.

Sorry Silke

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Never mind then - many thanks for the feedback. I thought the two levers were from the same sort and size of calibre.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information