WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Zenith Pilot Big Date Special - A few questions

6K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  metalgear 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a Zenith Pilot Big Date Special on leather and have a few questions if you don't mind.

First, a little background - I'm in my early 30's and up until now have had a few (literally 3-4) watches that I've received as gifts or picked up 15 years ago. You know, a Fossil, a Kenneth Cole, etc. just stuff that's been 30-100 bucks and has no real history. Well, last year I picked up my first "higher end" watch with very little research, and more because it was a good deal. A Movado Fiero. Despite some of the Movado-bashing, I really like the Tungsten Carbide. I wear it every day and it looks like it did the day I bought it. Well, since then I've started to appreciate watches at a different level. I still know very little about watches, but I knew NOTHING when I bought the Movado.

Over the course of the last several months I've started reading (big mistake) a lot more about watches in general. I looked at B&M Capelands, Hamilton Khaki Field, Perrelet Jumping Hour, Submariners and Speedmasters, etc. All over the board. However, I can't seem to stop coming back to the Big Date Special.

I'm looking for a single watch that I can wear nearly every day (work dress is casual, jeans and button-downs) and not worry about it. I'm not necessarily interested in starting a collection (knowing me, that's BS). Will something like the Big Date be okay for an everyday watch? To me this watch seems like it will hold its appeal for decades, but maybe other people think differently. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'm also interested in what your opinions are on "no-brainer" prices from both AD's and grey market sellers. At this point AD's are about $1600 off List and there is another difference of about $1500 between AD and grey. I'd be interested in your take on how you make the decision of AD or not.

At the end of the day I realize this is ultimately my decision, but since this would be my first big (to me) watch purchase, I'd like to understand what kind of guidance more experienced people have to share. Thanks!

Cliffs Notes: I went 32 (of 33) years not spending more than $100 on a watch. In less than a year's time I've fallen in love with a $5k watch. Yeesh. Looking for a daily driver watch that I can hand to my boy 30 years from now. Need opinions on timelessness of the style and AD or non-AD.

See less See more
#2 ·
It´s a great watch that works great for casual wear. I would not consider it to be that versatile, although the mesh strap gives it some shine. You want the leather strap, so that in my opinion gives it the perfect casual look that it was meant for. Just keep in mind that the WR is 50m, which means that you shouldn´t swim with it or get it soaked.

#3 ·
I think it is a great all around watch that won't age. It is very versatile with the black face and brown strap. Its definitely not the dressiest of watches but it sounds like that would be no concern to you. The AD vs grey is a really personal decision. I personally put zero value in grey market warranties so that is essentially in mind what the AD gets you. If it is a big differential, the cost savings can more than make up for paying out of pocket should a problem arise. Overall, I think its an awesome watch and would be a great choice!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I've had my Zenith Pilot Big Date for almost a year now. I have worn it on a leather strap for every day use, and have put it on a SS bracelet for dressier occasions. Although it's more casual, it can do both.

I'm in my early 30's, and it was my first "high end" watch. I've spent some $$ before on watches over the last 5 years, but nothing like this. I have to say, I'm very happy with it. The El Primero movement is iconic. If there is any type of value in your mind for movements, this is the way to go.

As for grey vs. AD, it's your choice. I bought from both and have had no issues. Just do your homework on where you buy. I have to say, when I decided to buy in this price point, going with an AD was a no brainer. The piece of mind (and a 4 yr. Zenith warranty, with full registration in their database) was worth the price difference. And really, when you get to that price level, the difference is worth it when you think long term.

Good luck in your decision. You can't go wrong with the Pilot Big Date.
Here are a couple pics to help you make up your mind.
If you go with an AD, check out Topper Jewelers. Rob is amazing to deal with.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

#5 ·
Just acquired a 5 month old 'Big Date Pilot' so at risk of boring everyone with yet more pics, here they are!

Chunky watch, quite large (42mm) depending on your size preference. Very legible as you would expect, beautifully applied numerals and - a bonus - a superb deployment clasp. The date does not appear to be uneven to my eye (which was another unexpected positive given others' feedback).

Other thought: not sure a matt star on dial would have been in better keeping than a polished one?

2.5 yrs of the warranty left.

To respond to Cliff's questions; it's a good all-purpose watch for everyday but will not be suitable for sports. I have a 36mm Rolex Explorer for that which wears small, is light, and indestructible. The El Primero regulation can be upset with sharp movements; for example it is not advised to play tennis wearing an EP. Regarding your warranty question, I would have thought an iron-clad manufacturer's warranty is more important than savings in the grey market if that is the choice. EP's are expensive to service.

Shadow on dial is my head...

#33 ·
Just thought I'd update those interested with timekeeping on the Big Date Special. I couldn't be more impressed: It's gaining on average 0.5 secs per day, and is very consistent. This tracked and measured over a period of around 2 months.

When I first bought it (used) it was losing a bit and there were some inconsistencies in timing that couldn't be explained. I duly sent it back to LVMH under warranty via Harrods (where the first owner had bought it from and therefore the warranty card duly bore their stamp) and it came back 5 weeks later with whatever the problem had been comprehensively sorted. There was no question of a charge.

So, the highest standard of timekeeping in a very attractive, modern package that is regularly positively commented on. What's not to like?...

Just acquired a 5 month old 'Big Date Pilot' so at risk of boring everyone with yet more pics, here they are!

2.5 yrs of the warranty left.

Shadow on dial is my head...

View attachment 1358485 View attachment 1358487 View attachment 1358488 View attachment 1358489 View attachment 1358490 View attachment 1358491 View attachment 1358492

#7 ·
First, my apologies for the "dump and run" post that I've let go and a thank you to those who replied.

Second, I pulled the trigger yesterday. I just couldn't stop looking at it!

I ended up going GM, just because of the large delta in price between GM and AD. I realize this is not without risks. Like nickma said, "at the risk of boring everyone" I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get it!

Thanks for "boring" me with those pictures that pushed me to make the purchase. :)

#9 ·
Well, my watch is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It shipped out of Hialeah, FL. Seeing as how it's GM, I'll provide some "unboxing" pictures and would appreciate your feedback before I actually wear it to make sure I got what I ordered. I also plan on taking it to a local watch shop (who has dealt with Zeniths) to have them give it a once over.

#12 ·
Agree - I really don't like the mesh either, especially the combination of the mesh and buckle. In that sort of style 'Rice grain' style bracelets from the 70s are infinitely nicer. The deployment closure on the leather strap is fantastic. Best one I've ever seen or worn.

#14 ·
I went with the milanese, even though I didn't like it when I first handled one, and I'm really pleased I did. It made a much stronger second impression and I now love it. It's incredibly comfortable and I like the idea it will always be with the watch. Even though I didn't like it before buying my watch, as with any watch purchase I figured buying the bracelet and wanting the leather later was only a small monetary penalty, whereas bracelets are always far more expensive purchased separately. But I don't think there's a bad choice either way.

#13 ·
Well, the UPS guy just left and I haven't opened the box yet. I imagine that it is fairly difficult to counterfit this watch, based on the fact it has an exhibition back, but are there things I should be looking for to ensure it is authentic, or anything I should do to ensure it isn't a "used" or "refurbed" watch before I start to wear it?

#16 ·
I'll be uploading pictures now. So far so good. The numbers on the warranty card match the numbers on the case and movement. The only thing that has me raising an eyebrow is the strap. This is a pin buckle, not the deployment clasp, but it has something on the end of the buckle side that I haven't seen in any pictures. I'll upload that one first.

#22 ·
It's actually a deployment clasp.The fact that it looks like a pin buckle with the added security of the pin and a sprung release on the sides of the buckle means that it's as secure a deployment as is a regular pin buckle.

No lume on sub dials. Just numbers and 2 hands.

#26 ·
Hi,
yes it is a super engineer. I ordered it from Strapcode:
21mm SUPER Engineer Type II Solid Stainless Steel Watch Band Deployment Clasp

The bracelet is heavy and pretty solid. Screw in links, tight snap at the clasp, but also a slight "wiggle". It never opened on its own.
It also doesn't freely move at the lugs, it rests on the under portion of the case.

Overall, it is a good option at a good price. I'd still like to get the Zenith Mesh, but I'll probably go after market. The hard part is finding 21mm lug ends in the exact configuration I want. Strapcode has them, I just haven't decided if I want to go with them.

-Dan

#28 ·
Hi,
yes it is a super engineer. I ordered it from Strapcode:
21mm SUPER Engineer Type II Solid Stainless Steel Watch Band Deployment Clasp

The bracelet is heavy and pretty solid. Screw in links, tight snap at the clasp, but also a slight "wiggle". It never opened on its own.
It also doesn't freely move at the lugs, it rests on the under portion of the case.

Overall, it is a good option at a good price. I'd still like to get the Zenith Mesh, but I'll probably go after market. The hard part is finding 21mm lug ends in the exact configuration I want. Strapcode has them, I just haven't decided if I want to go with them.

-Dan
Be sure to post some pics for us so we can see the final results!

Thanks,
Dan

#29 ·
Well, I've had the watch a while now, and I enjoy it more and more as time goes on. I'll admit I had a hint of buyer's remorse a few hours after the unboxing. Totally gone now.

Every day I seem to appreciate the attention to detail and subtleties of the watch a little more than I did the day before. The lume, the way the UV coating gives off this blueish reflection on the glass. I really like the fact that the star at 12:00 is not a matte finish. Every once in a while it catches the sun and draws your eye to the watch, but not in a cheesy blingy showy way. It's a classy watch. I have only had two people compliment the watch in two weeks, so don't get this thinking that people are going to tip over when they see it. They won't. Personally, I don't mind at all, but I say that knowing some people will want that kind of attention after dropping that much on a watch. Chrono is flawless and it keeps great time.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Attachments

#32 ·
I really like the fact that the star at 12:00 is not a matte finish. Every once in a while it catches the sun and draws your eye to the watch, but not in a cheesy blingy showy way.
Funnily enough, the shiny star is the only thing about the watch I wish they hadn't implemented. I would have preferred it if they had gone for a matte star, or even better, no star at all, after all they have the Zenith and Pilot designations on the dial, and a small constellation of stars between the clasp, crown, rotor. Sometimes less is more.

#30 ·
That´s a nice watch!

I was wondering the follow: if you watch gains, let say 10s/day, then does the chronograph work precisely nevertheless? Meaning, can I time with the chronograph how much my watch gains?

#31 ·
Definitely not! It would have to have two entirely separate movements with separate balances for that - and it would have to have a chronograph movement (part) that is perfectly adjusted and regulated. But if you can manage that, you should be able to manage a perfect adjustment and regulation on the main movement (part) too! ;-)

Hartmut Richter

#35 ·
Yes that is fantastic. Of all the current Zeniths, that is the one which I would buy first if I were to buy a new Zenith tomorrow. It just nails the classic "pilot watch" look better than anything else. Even better than IWC's terrific Spitfire, in my opinion. One lucky guy!

#36 · (Edited)
i think Zenith has nailed this one right. the proportions are just right, the numbers bold but not overbearing, the big date has a more aircraft instrument feel than the three-day date on the IWC 3777.

while i know the star as the zenith logo, on the pilot it just adds to the military symbolism ...

the mesh version has grown on me though ...and from what I know Zenith has created a well designed deployant mesh which is unique

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.