ZENITH Sporto - WWII German Trench Art?

Thread: ZENITH Sporto - WWII German Trench Art?

ZENITH Sporto - WWII German Trench Art?

I just purchased this Zenith Sporto - 17j, stainless steel, 4x signed, screw back. I am not sure if it is the correct vintage for WWII, but it in not a military watch. The odd thing is that someone did a crude engraving of the **** eagle and swastika. Could this be a personal watch that a soldier decided to decorate on his own. Any help - please!

Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: ZENITH Sporto - WWII German Trench Art?

Interesting watch you have there! I would say that it has a Cal. 40 or 40T which is essentially the same as the Cal. 106 or 126 with an extra capstone on the escapement wheel and a double arm on the fine adjustment. This was made from 1955-1960 (1958-1963 for the 40T) so, if my assumption is correct, it would definitely not be a WWII watch. It doesn't really look like it anyway - Incabloc shock proofing, general looks don't fit, etc. What surprises me is that it doesn't have any serial number on the movement - most Zeniths from that time which I have seen have them.

As for the engraving, it looks far too crude to have been put there "officially". I also support the theory that some die-hard supporter of principles such as "Lebensraum" put it there himself. If it offends you, try and ask Zenith for a new one - or invest in getting a new bottom with glass window so that you can permanently see the movement!

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for reponding! You are correct, it is a Cal. 40, but no serial number anywhere. I don't find the back engraving offensive, just curious. I do not think I will try to source a new back for it. But, like you, I suspected that it was a bit later watch than WWII.

In my younger years, I spent quite a bit of time studying the German military of WWII. The eagle/swastika is not of the era. Ceratinly someone had a steady hand, but they did not choose to replicate something military of that era. Perhaps a sympathetic, non-German police group?

At any rate as Hartmut said, the watch itself was made well after that era was over.

Interesting find.

Regards,

Dan

Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by original_chronokid View Post
    I just purchased this Zenith Sporto - 17j, stainless steel, 4x signed, screw back. I am not sure if it is the correct vintage for WWII, but it in not a military watch. The odd thing is that someone did a crude engraving of the **** eagle and swastika. Could this be a personal watch that a soldier decided to decorate on his own. Any help - please!
    It could have been from some post WWII supporter of **** principles I suppose. Given the number of faked WWII collectibles I wonder if it is not an amateur fake that someone attempted to pass off as being from WWII.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Yes, that's another possibility. Although the engraving, though reasonably good, is still sufficiently crude to only convince the most gullible.....

Hartmut Richter