Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Uwe W.

Thread: Ocean Vintage GMT date setting

Ocean Vintage GMT date setting

Hello Everyone:
    I recently (4 days ago) received my Steinhart from the good folks in Germany. I LOVE the looks and heft of this watch.

Here is my question though.....
    I know that you are not supposed to set the date between the hours of 9-3. I am assuming they are referring to 2100-0300. So, when I set the time on the new Steinhart it was early afternoon on Thursday and proceeded to set the date also. If I remember correctly, the time of setting was mid-afternoon.... maybe 1400 to 1600 local. Don't remember exactly. The date was set at this time too.

Today, while the wife was writing a note for one of the kids for school, she asked me what the date was. When I looked at my new Steiny it showed the 22nd. Roh Oh. I knew that was not correct. So what is up with this. Why the correct date for 4 days and now it is (or was, because I reset the date this morning) off by one day?

I did a search function here and could not find anything definitive. I really hope I do not have to send my new beauty back

Re: Ocean Vintage GMT date setting

Just a little update....
    Set the date this morning to the correct date. It is now coming up to 1pm (1300) and I just noticed the date switched over to the next day already. :(

What the french toast??

Here's how I set the time for any watch. I move the hands to show 6:30. I then set the date so that the day before the actual date is displayed. I then advance the hands forward until the date rolls over and the hands are showing the correct time - remaining cognisant of whether it's am or pm. It works for me every time.
    heebs, Ryeguy, edwinwalke and 2 others like this.

^ What he said. On the Vintage GMT, or any watch with the ETA 2893-2 movement, the GMT hand is connected to the hour hand. My process is as follows:
    1) pull crown to 3rd position (all the way out)
    2) advance time to 7 AM. You want to see the date flip (typically happens at midnight) and continue advancing the hour hand until you get to 7 AM
    3) push crown in one position to set date to yesterday's date
    4) pull out crown to 3rd position again to advance hour hand past midnight again so the date flips to today's date and set to proper time
    5) return to 2nd position to set GMT hand
    6) close crown

I don't think setting the GMT hand has the same concerns as setting the date, but just to be safe I typically set my watches in the morning anyway. I pick the watch for the day, then set it while I get dressed.

Automatic GMT watches are really not "grab and go" if you have a collection of auto watches and switch up what you wear offen, then again, I can run through the above process in a minute or two, so no big deal.

For "grab and go", you really appreciate the no date mil-sub style. Just pull the crown, set the time, and you're off.

Veneto (Italy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneto

Don't worry...is a common mistake! :D
    Ciao.

Spain

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I wasn't getting updates for some reason.
    I did figure out what I was doing wrong. I had it set 12 hours too early (or was it too late..... hmmmmm). It is working great and has been keeping very good time. Woot!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thread Information