Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Racetimer

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    mkw

Re: Racetimer

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Nooooooo. Why a tachymeter? Why?!?!?!

Its gorgeously perfect otherwise.

Uhh, because without it, Steinhart would not be selling a vintage inspired " race timer " . Five decades ago, racers needed the chronograph to time laps or if out on long through -the- countryside circuits like LeMans , the tachymeter to measure avg speed between two mile markers .
    Last edited by mkw; June 8th, 2013 at 03:12.

Any explanation as to why Steinhart chose to taper the strap to 18mm? Did the old watches aggressively taper as well? TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    ... Circa 55 mm from lug to lug.
    Arrgh.

55mm L2L means it's too large for me. Oh well, guess I just saved a chunk of change...
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe W. View Post
    He called them copies. They are not. How can they be with so many differences? If having a passing similarity is all that is required to classify a watch as a copy, then the majority of watches being sold are copies. Honestly, it's like saying a BMW 3-series is a copy of an Audi A4 because they both happen to be blue and have four doors...
    He, sorry I, indeed said that Steinhart would be bashed for producing copies. Without being disonnest you should recognise that it is a frequent criticism to Steinhart on watch forums: ocean 1 versus Submariners, not to mention the fliegers. They are not the only one of course. Everyone knows Steinhart has developped by making "very inspired" (if you prefer), yet quality watches - and this is why many customers buy them.
    OPC 64 - Submariner 14060 / GMT Master II 16710, ...

Lets answer a couple of questions & concerns raised here...

* The case is the same as other Steinhart 44mm chronograph models.
    * Racetimer including crown is approx 48-49mm
    * Lug to lug is approx 51-52mm (I can't remember exactly)
    * Water resistance is the same as all other non diver Steinharts ie: no swimming or shower
    * Tapering the strap 22-18mm was a choice by Steinhart primarily as it their preference for all 22mm tapered straps. They already have 22-18mm tapered straps & 18mm deployants in their collections so absolutely no need or point to introduce another size category.

Regarding any 'homage' or 'copy' comments, why even go there....................... If we are to be totally an*l about it every diver type watch is a homage or copy of the Fifty fathoms (think Rolex, Omega, Tag blah, blah, blah) & it is possible if you spend enough time researching, the Fifty fathoms uses design elements of an even earlier watch design..... There can only be so many different variations in basic watch design. Spending time in pointless brand/design bashing just for the sake of doesn't prove anything one way or another. I'll say it again, there is only so many different design variations in basic watch design. Only if you are a real design setter such as MB&F or something similar then clearly similarities will be an obvious common sense day to day proposition.

Enjoy these new Racetimers, they are great looking watches & well made. We get 3 colour options to choose from & a stack of straps & bracelets to adorn the Racetimers with. What other watch brand using great quality Swiss made watches being sold at very fair prices offer this to their customers to the extent Steinhart do...?
    Last edited by Riker; June 8th, 2013 at 09:36.
    krstin and Todd5774 like this.
    James.

Longines Conquest VHP Perp Cal * Panerai 111K * STEINHART Nav.B ~ Nav.B Chrono ~ Nav.B Vintage ~ Nav.B LGE ~ Nav.B LSE ~ Nav.B LSE Chrono ~ Nav.B Chrono Anniversary Titan ~ PROTEUS S.E.

Quote Originally Posted by WiZARD7 View Post
    hmmm... the color pairing of the dial... somehow looks like...
    A piece of my favorite timepiece, is like a dish of local delicacies. It's not about how good it may look, or how branded in may came from popular stalls or restaurants. It's always the materials and concoction that produces the best keep!

Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Not quite... case and bracelet are the same as with the Grand Prix... the 44mm chronograph case had undergone some changes and was made from Titanium for the first time there...

The changes from the Nav.B-Chrono II case to the Grand Prix were:

- new stainless steel bezel-system with aluminum tachymeter inlay
    - slightly cornered lugdesign to accomodate for the new bracelet endpieces
    - new endpieces on the bracelet to avoid "the gap" between endpiece and first bracelet link
    - titanium

Now there are even screw down crown and pushers added to the design!

While the Grand Prix project was running, I talked with Gunter about the possiblity to further make use of that fantastic case design in Steinharts own model line...

I'm really happy the Racetimers are now available to everyone and they are such great watches with fantastic design!

Here I got some pictures from the first prototypes (dating almost a year back!)

Last edited by H.Solo; June 8th, 2013 at 19:57.
    Riker, bigwatch13, mitadoc and 6 others like this.
    Greetings from Augsburg (City of Steinhart )

Riker or H.Solo, do you know if the blue dial version has blue or black leather? In H.Solo's pics it looks blue but on the Steinhart website it looks black.

Thanks!
    Wanted: Heuer white face Montreal, Omega Speedmaster Tin Tin, Steinhart Mach One

It's a very dark blue leather... goes pretty well with the watch, but I'd always go with the bracelet and add the strap to the order (or get a custom strap, or a nato, or rubber, or...)
    Greetings from Augsburg (City of Steinhart )

Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post

* Racetimer including crown is approx 48-49mm
    * Lug to lug is approx 51-52mm (I can't remember exactly)
    * Water resistance is the same as all other non diver Steinharts ie: no swimming or shower
    * Tapering the strap 22-18mm was a choice by Steinhart primarily as it their preference for all 22mm tapered straps. They already have 22-18mm tapered straps & 18mm deployants in their collections so absolutely no need or point to introduce another size category.

Regarding any 'homage' or 'copy' comments, why even go there....................... If we are to be totally an*l about it every diver type watch is a homage or copy of the Fifty fathoms (think Rolex, Omega, Tag blah, blah, blah) & it is possible if you spend enough time researching, the Fifty fathoms uses design elements of an even earlier watch design..... There can only be so many different variations in basic watch design. Spending time in pointless brand/design bashing just for the sake of doesn't prove anything one way or another. I'll say it again, there is only so many different design variations in basic watch design. Only if you are a real design setter such as MB&F or something similar then clearly similarities will be an obvious common sense day to day proposition.

Enjoy these new Racetimers, they are great looking watches & well made. We get 3 colour options to choose from & a stack of straps & bracelets to adorn the Racetimers with. What other watch brand using great quality Swiss made watches being sold at very fair prices offer this to their customers to the extent Steinhart do...?
    Well said Riker, good man you. The very minute I saw the watch, I was whispering to myself, very Tudor-ish..... I than immediately brought up some pictures of the Tudor and started comparing but found out the only thing that is Vaguely similar that first place that idea in my mind is the Color scheme. DONT feed the TROLLS!! Good job Steinhart.
    ______
    Peter A

Thread Information