Collector's Guide To All the Different Citizen Nighthawk Variants...
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Collector's Guide To All the Different Citizen Nighthawk Variants...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Collector's Guide To All the Different Citizen Nighthawk Variants...

Here is a quote of a post made on SCWF by Zami Zahari (aka StratmanII), some time ago, here:

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1148154188

Quote Originally Posted by StratmanII

The many faces of the Citizen Nighthawk (+pics)

I did a bit of looking up on the amazing Citizen Nighthawk. Most of us are already familiar with the U.S version Nighthawk and some own the so-called Euro Nighthawk with that wonderful caseback.

I'm primarily a Seiko collector and the Nighthawk was my first Citizen since 1983. I found the large sunken dial, the pseudo-retrograde GMT hour scale and the highly detailed, internally rotating E6B flight rule bezel quite attractive. The blue lume is also a refreshing departure from the usual green lume in my Seiko collection.

If you'd like to know a bit about all the Nighthawk models, do read on.

(All photos depicted belong to their respective copyright owners)

The U.S. Nighthawks

This is probably the most common Nighthawk model sold in North America and to some extent, in the U.K.

You can easily identify by the Nighthawk text on the dial. Non-U.S. Nighthawks do not have this text. The U.S. Nighthawk also sports full lumed indices and framed Arabic numerals.

The down side of the U.S. Nighthawk is the plain vanilla, highly polished caseback with laser etched text. Many U.S. Nighthawk owners lamented Citizen's choice of this caseback instead of the highly detailed, engraved satin caseback on the European and Asian variants.

The U.S. Nighthawk caseback vs the non-U.S. version:

You can easily see why the latter caseback is more desirable among Nighthawk owners.

There are also variants such as the PVD'ed black S/S and titanium versions. Here is the full lineup of the U.S. Nighthawks:

BJ7000-52E (Stainless Steel)

BJ7020-55E(Titanium)

BJ7005-59E (Black ion plated, S/S)

BJ7000-01E (Leather strap version, S/S)

The Asian Nighthawks

The Asian counterparts of the U.S. Nighthawk come without the "Nighthawk" text on the dial. They also have partly lumed metal indices which help give the dial a classy look. In addition, the "12" and "6" numbers aren't raised like the U.S. versions.

What makes these Nighthawks interesting is the wonderful engraved caseback.

BJ7010-59E (Stainless Steel)

BJ7005-54E (Black ion plated, S/S)

Newer variations of the Asian Nighthawks appeared recently with the original Citizen deployant leather straps:

BJ7010-24W (Brown, S/S)

BJ7010-16F (White chapter ring, S/S)

The Japanese Nighthawks

Japan market Nighthawks are identified by the "Made in Japan" text located on the dial, at the 8 o'clock position. It's a bit too small to see, but it appears on large photos. JDM Nighthawks are the Radio Controlled versions and can synchronize the time with LF (Low Frequency) radio time signals on long wave. Alas, the Radio Controlled Nighthawks lack the 24-hr GMT scale found on the garden variety Nighthawks.

The easiest way to tell a JDM Nighthawk is by the "W.R. 20 Bar" text on the dial.

The caseback of the JDM Nighthawk is also richly detailed. The titanium versions are coated with Citizen's famous Duratect plating technology. Interestingly, Duratect is only used on the Japanese titanium versions.

Other interesting variants of the Japan Nighthawks:

PMD56-2771 (S/S version)

PMD56-2774 (Black leather strap)

PMD56-2775 (Brown dial with matching strap)

There are yet other more exotic Nighthawks, such as the PMP56 series with all the bells and whistles. They're the most expensive of the lot and departs from the usual Nighthawk design. You get a dedicated GMT subdial, alarm, three main city times (London, Paris & New York) and perpetual calendar capability.

These "Ultimate" Nighthawks come in two versions:

PMP56-2901

PMP56-2902 in blue!

Finally, let's take a look at the:

European Nighthawks

These Euro Nighthawks are also Radio Controlled but differ from their Japanese counterparts by the lack of "W.R. 20 Bar" text. In its place, the text "Sapphire" is printed, indicating the use of sapphire crystals, obviously. European Nighthawks have the model number starting with "AS".

AS2031-57E (Stainless steel)

AS2031-57F (White chapter ring)

AS2031-06WP (Interesting combo - brown dial with reptile skin-like strap)

AS2031-57 (Thought you'll never see a blue Nighthawk, eh?)

Here's an all-blue Euro Nighthawk!

AS2020-??

I could've missed a few other variants out there, so feel free to add any info.

Thanks for reading!

cheers,

StratMan

Re: Collector's Guide To All the Different Citizen Nighthawk Variants...

I seem to be on a quest for a "grail watch" that I cannot seem to find. I have seen pictures of the "Ultimate" Nighthawks in a black version. I can only seem to find reference to the two versions shown here (PMP56-2901 and PMP56-2902) however I have seen pictures of this EXACT version in an all black format.

I have found model numbers for every other version of this watch in black (Nighthawks, Promasters, Skyhawks, Pilot, PMV PMP, etc.) but none that look exactly like the PMP56-2901 and PMP56-2902 only in all black.

Can anyone help? It is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Isthmus,

What a great collection of these Nighthawks! Now I want a couple to mix in with my daily wear. Thanks for doing that.
    Regards, Bill
    CHALLENGER
    --------------
    Citizen JY0040-59L Blue Angels Skyhawk Chronograph
    Seiko SND255 Flightmaster Blue-Face Chronograph
    Seiko SGP Quartz Dress SS/Gold Band
    Casio WVA320DJ-1A Atomic Solar WaveCeptor Diver
    Timex Ironman Triathlon Indiglo (Won't quit)
    Bulova 1961 Automatic Dress Spiedel Band
    Elgin 1888 Size 18 3-Hand 24-Hour Pocket Watch
    Elgin 1916 Size 16 Rolled-Gold Pocket Watch

AS2020-53L

AS2031-57A Ti/Sapp

AS2031-14W Ti/Sapp/Leather

AS2020-02E SS/Kevlar
    Last edited by nedrager; December 2nd, 2010 at 20:27.

There is a all blue variant of BJ7010-24W which has come out. Does anyone know the model number?

There is a blue and white version of BJ7010-16F, but unfortunately I don't have the model number, again. Can anyone help me, please?

To set the dual time with the red and white aeroplane hands is still bit confusing to me. With the second click position of the screw I can set the minutes and red/white aeroplane hand, meaning that the aeroplanes and the minute hand will show a time period. In the first click position of the screw it is possible to adjust the hour hand independently. This means the second time period will only show the hour! Is that the way dual time works in this watch? I mean lets say my local time right now is GMT+1 and I wish to also see GMT+6h30m time. How do I do it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by charijit; March 28th, 2013 at 12:35. Reason: spelling mistake

Laughing Re: Collector's Guide To All the Different Citizen Nighthawk Variants...

Hello I'm new to this forum
    And i have several questions about to differences between the
    BJ7010-59E And

the
    BJ7000-52E

I have noticed in ebay that in the descriptions that several sealers say that
    BJ7000-52E

Has a 22 mm Bracelet width
    And that BJ7010-59E has a 20 mm Bracelet width
    is this possible or are they making a mistake ?

i attached a link
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTACULAR-CITIZEN-NIGHTHAWK-GMT-DUALTIME-ECODRIVE-MENs-WATCH-BJ7010-59E-/310716027747?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item48581e5363

dose anybody know this seller ?

thaks

^ I believe the guy has a question!

The BJ7008-51E comes with a mesh strap. The BJ7000-52E is Stainless Steel.

Which do you guys think is better? I've never had a mesh strap before but I'm considering it.

Mesh is kinda strange on a pilot watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnny View Post
    Mesh is kinda strange on a pilot watch.
    Wow, I literally bought the mesh version 5 minutes before your post..... Fortunately from an AD.

If I don't like it I'll return it. Having never had mesh, I guess I'm just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information