Review of Yobokies' Anvil Bracelet....
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Review of Yobokies' Anvil Bracelet....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Review of Yobokies' Anvil Bracelet....

The following is a review of Yobokies' new Anvil bracelets. I've been lucky to be one of the first to see and handle these so I'm hoping that the review serves you in some way. The bracelet is patterned after the popular Watchadoo lumpy that has been around for a number of years. however it is not a direct copy, and it includes several important differences worth noting. Please do not read this review as advertising or as a bash on the watchadoo. I have no skin on this game and if I mention the watchadoo is only to compare and contrast the differences between this product and the standard everyone is familiar with.

Anyhow here it goes. Yesterday I received a package from harold containing two versions of his new Anvil bracelet and multiple end caps here is how it arrived:

The bracelets were one 20mm straight end Anvil bracelet and one 22mm Anvil bracelet with two different types of folded curved end caps. All three types of ends are made to take fat Seiko springbars. Here are some very unfocused pictures of what the ends look like:

20mm Straight end:

22mm Slightly Curved:

22mm deeply curved (this is the one that fits the 0020/0029 case used by the SKX007 and its variants):

here is a better picture of the deeply curved end borrowed from harold:

Another pic borrowed from Harold showing the underside with the springbar in place:

The 20mm bracelet is straight from beginning to end. The 22mm one is actually mildly flared at the ends. It starts out at 22mm at the end cap, then recesses from 22mm to 20mm on the outside of the first two links out from the end caps on either side. every other link that follows all the way to the clasp is 20mm and straight. The center links are the same throughout the entire length. All the links are solid and are held together with simple split pins. Here is where one of those differences with the watchadoo is apparent. The Anvil bracelet is cross drilled in every single link. This means that not only is it adjustable for any wrist size, but since it can be fully disassembled, it means it can also be coated, something that can't be done without issues on bracelets that can't be fully disassembled. here are some pictures so you can see:

The clasp is another one of those differences. The Anvil uses a 20mm spring loaded fliplock clasp, which is used in one of seiko's y-link bracelets. This one is probably a chinese copy of the original, but like with the Super oyster, I couldn't tell the two apart. This essentially the same type of clasp that seiko uses in the monster, the sumo and many of their divers, but 2mm wider, with no divers extension, and with only 2 microadjustment holes. Here is a bad picture of the clasp closed:

and here it is open:

My intended victim for the 22mm bracelet is my SKX007 which I've had in a KHS Conqueror nylon strap for a long time, and have never given it much wrist time. I seriously considered adding a bracelet to this one, but I never liked the way the other Seiko bracelets or the super oyster looked on this particular model. The curved end on this one allowed me to use the shape of a watchadoo, which I've always liked, with endcaps that fit the case and leave no gaps, which is an issue for me. Here is a before picture of my watch:

Everything went in easily enough. here is the watch with one end in place, so you can see the fit of the end cap:

with both ends in place, here is what the watch looked like:

Now it was time to adjust it. My wrist is 7.5 inches and I had to remove 4 links, and use the inner micro adjustment to make it fit. I wear my watches close but not overly tight and definitely not floppy. I tried it first with one link off the front side and three of the back, but found that the clasp slid toward the outside too much. In the end, for me the perfect fit was 2 links off the front and 2 off the back. Here is a wrist shot of the watch after it was fitted:

and a closer one:

What I know and don't know: Other that What I've already said, I know that curved ends are not currently offered for the 20mm bracelet. That said, since the center links are all the same on both bracelets, I suspect that the same curved endlinks will fit the 20mm bracelet should anyone want to try. I also happened to have an old Watchadoo 22mm straight end (from back when they took standard springbars). I didn't fit it, but just laid it over the Anvil's straight end, and it seems to me like it would be a drop in swap. If I'm correct, that probably means that the curved ends will also fit a watchadoo, so that might be an option for those who have watchadoos but just want the ends. I don't know for sure whether they will fit, but it looks like they might. If it isn't a straight swap the only think that I can think of that might need modifying is the the diameter of the center links that the springbar slides through, which might or might not have to be widened a hair. I suggest you ask Harold if that is what you want to do, as I don't know whether he is selling the ends individually. I also have not seen a 22mm straight end, But I understand that one is available (you guys with the black shrouded divers, now have a bracelet that fits that can be coated to match your watches). I have no idea whether a bracelet with more microadjustment holes and/or with a divers extension will be available, but I suspect that since this is a Seiko bracelet, unless Seiko makes it in such a configuration, one will not be available. The finish on the bracelets I received ar satin. Harold didn't say anything about other finishes being available at this time, so you might want to ask him about that if you are interested in something polished or blasted. As for price, ask Harold as we have not discussed what his ultimate price will be.

My Impressions: I'm very happy with the final result. It took me a bit to adjust it simply because it was my first time with it. the final fit is very comfortable, and it fits much like a president bracelet, but with the weight of a super oyster (maybe even heavier). The endcaps fit nicely and I did not have to adjust them like you normally have to do in a Super Oyster. Overall I'm very happy with it and thankful to Harold for letting me try one so early on. I have yet to try the 20mm piece, but I suspect it will be the same. I really like the fact that it so closely resembles the watchadoo, but has the curved endlinks, adjustable links and the springloaded fliplock. My SKX007 will no most likely become a more regular option on the rotation.

Anyhoot I hope this review helped anyone interested in the Anvil bracelet. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer with what I can see on mine. anything more specific, ask Harold.
    Last edited by Isthmus; May 16th, 2009 at 21:22.
    hithereimdan likes this.

Question Re: Review of Yobokies' New Anvil Bracelet....

Like the review, I'm sure this has been asked before but I've missed it.
    How do I contact Yobokies?

Thanks, Larry

Rolex GMT Master II
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50

Seiko SKA367P1, SKX009J-P, SNDA13P1, SKX779K
    SNN119P1, SKX781K, SKA383P1,
    SHC053P/Black Knight
    Citizen BN0000-04H,
    Citizen Racing C090
    Casio Master Blue Frogman,
    DW6900,
    DW6900MS-1
    GW9100-1V, Dawn Black Frogman,
    PAW1200-1V,
    25th Anniversary Mudman and Gulfman
    Casio ProTrec PRW 3000-2

Re: Review of Yobokies' New Anvil Bracelet....

A very sharp & elegant bracelet!

Wow! This bracelet looks great!

yobokies@yahoo.com.hk

Are they available now??

I like this bracelet, looks really good.
    Seiko 7549-7009
    Seiko SHC033
    Orient CEM65002D (Blue Mako)

Great review, nice looking bracelet. Are you going to be the U.S. distributor? That would make it a lot easier to order for U.S. based customers. I'll take two please.
    My sig is no sig.

Quote Originally Posted by valvestem View Post
    Great review, nice looking bracelet. Are you going to be the U.S. distributor? That would make it a lot easier to order for U.S. based customers. I'll take two please.
    I am not affiliated with yobokies business. As far as I know, Harold has them for sale and is the only distributor. Ask him if he has anyone else. All I did was write a review of the pieces I received.

Nice. The links are all held together by split pins, I assume.

Yep split pins all the way up.

Looks great!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information