FS: Zenith Chronometre Calibre 135 with steel waterproof case

Thread: FS: Zenith Chronometre Calibre 135 with steel waterproof case

FS: Zenith Chronometre Calibre 135 with steel waterproof case

Original, untouched dial - original hands - original, unpolished case - original crown - serviced, clean movement.

Priced at USD 7500 including worldwide and insured shipping. Includes full modern (2017) Zenith inner and outer box.

The Calibre 135 is one of the most significant and iconic time-only movements ever created, from the golden era of chronometers.

It is truly a grail for vintage Chronometer collectors. It is the highest-awarded movement ever, having received over 200 awards, including sweeping the Neuchatel Observatory competition an unprecedented 5 years in a row from 1950 to 1954.

It was produced in low quantities, with only 11000 created, and many not ever being cased into watches. This scarcity, combined with its desirability and good looks, makes it a highly sought-after piece.

This particular example is from late in the production run, which was from 1951 to 1962.

It features the sporty “2000” case with a thick, domed plexiglass crystal, nice thick lugs and a heavy case on the wrist. It measures at 35mm, but wears bigger thanks to the outsized case and big crystal. It has a screw-on, waterproof “Zenith 2000” caseback, and Z and Star signed crown. This puts it in the family of waterproof and amagnetic chronometers signature of the period such as the Patek 3417.

The case has thick bevels on the lugs, and is completely unpolished.

The big golden balance wheel is the signature of this watch, and is absolutely stunning to look at. The cotes-de-Geneve finishing on the bridges of this movement is very clean, and the anglage on the edge is round and very highly polished. It also features a very unusual regulatory mechanism above the balance.

This example is interesting for its non-chronometre dial, but chronometre-signed movement.

This is the best of both worlds, with the sporty waterproof case (early examples were very dressy with a snap back and thin lugs) but still a chronometre movement (late-production movements were often not COSC certified – this one was.)

The dial is a gorgeous sunburst with applied baton markers and straight hands, very reminiscent of the aforementioned Patek 3417 and early IWC Ingenieurs of the period. The tritium hands and lume plots have aged beautifully to an even brown colour.

The crystal is very clean, and there are some small scratches on the dial from the hands dragging at some point in its life. I have captured these in the pictures. There is also a small amount of dust on the dial that should be very easy for a watchmaker clean off.

The watch has been worn, and the case is scratched commensurately to this. However due to its sporty look, this does not detract from the watch – rather, it adds a lot of character. This watch would make a perfect daily watch - it truly will go with anything.

In many of the photos (especially just above the crown) there is specs of dust on the case, not scratches.

This one is priced lower than other examples on the forums, eBay and other selling locations due to the scratches on the case. However, it has been recently serviced, and my watchmaker noted it is very clean and has a perfectly coiled balance spring and is good to run for many years to come.

Re: FS: Zenith Chronometre Calibre 135 with steel waterproof case

I have had requests for a photo of the caseback - this is it
    'ZENITH 2000 - WATERPROOF'

Unpolished and screw-down

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump. Lots of interest. Lots of price discussions. Let me know if you have an offer. Thanks

Weekend bump.

Bump

Bump - make an offer if interested, all considered. Nothing finished at this level like this today

https://monochrome-watches.com/case-...h-calibre-135/

Bump and refer above for a great rundown on this watch.

Bump

Thread Information