How to help AVOID being scammed - Page 6
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: How to help AVOID being scammed

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    tah

Re: How to help AVOID being scammed

Kind of in a "questioning" frame of mind about this one......

If you receive PayPal, then transfer into your account, THEN the buyer contests the transaction, doesn't PayPal have the right (power) to dip into your account for those funds while investigating?

I have a watch for sale here: FS: Never Worn - Omega Speedmaster Day Date Auto

This brand new registrant wants to buy: Milo81, ZERO posts!

He lives in Singapore and is willing to pay the additional cost of shipping. Wants to use PayPal and I told him I would ship after transfer of funds from PayPal to my account.

Also wants a declared value of about 1/3 the sales price to avoid duties/taxes...whatever. Told him I would NOT take the hit on the difference if ANYTHING went wrong and he agreed.

How many red flags do you see here?

Quote Originally Posted by tah View Post
    Kind of in a "questioning" frame of mind about this one......

If you receive PayPal, then transfer into your account, THEN the buyer contests the transaction, doesn't PayPal have the right (power) to dip into your account for those funds while investigating?

I have a watch for sale here: FS: Never Worn - Omega Speedmaster Day Date Auto

This brand new registrant wants to buy: Milo81, ZERO posts!

He lives in Singapore and is willing to pay the additional cost of shipping. Wants to use PayPal and I told him I would ship after transfer of funds from PayPal to my account.

Also wants a declared value of about 1/3 the sales price to avoid duties/taxes...whatever. Told him I would NOT take the hit on the difference if ANYTHING went wrong and he agreed.

How many red flags do you see here?
    I see 3 red flags /issues.

1) obviously the ZERO posts..... I would atleast try to get solid references from verifiable traders or the biggy to me is get an EBAY id from the buyer ....verify a good ebay record, and verify by communicating through Ebay's messaging system, which I have done before with a buyer from singapore.

2) If the item actually gets lost in shipping, Paypal would issue a default judgement of refund for the FULL amount back to the buyer. And your only 'possbile' recourse is insurance which you only declared a 1/3 value.... which is never guaranteed by Postal Insurance even if they were fully at fault of losing your item.

I would never just take the word of the buyer that they would take the hit of $1200 US, in the event of a lost item.....AFTER they got their full refund from Paypal.

3) If it's a fraudulent paypal payment, determined after shipping......the seller is always screwed, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Krafticus View Post
    I think I have been had, but I didn't do my due diligence, so I only have myself to blame.

I was paid via paypal in a timely manner, shipped international via USPS (which doesn't provide tracking unless it is express). Item was shipped and hasn't been received and buyer is screaming for a refund. Thing is, I know I won't get the watches or money back once they are received.

I Just looked and this person signed up 2 weeks before the sale, had 0 posts, and an unverified paypal address. I was just in a hurry to make the sales as it was a hectic time. I am just out of luck?
    I think it best to always ship insured and registered/tracked. And make it a compulsory part of the deal.
    As for stopping low post count members and banning overseas buyers:
    NEGATIVES:
    * I'm low on the post count here
    * I am in Australia
    POSITIVES:
    * I have 98.4% pos feedback on ebay (1 idiot out of 130 deals, what do u do?)
    * I buy and sell watches from all over the world
    * I have money
    Would you want to exclude me from all the fun?????

So the ebay feedback and a proper email address is a good idea.

kvg

As a new and low posting member, I find it rather intimidating attempting to garner these "respectable" post counts. I'm on here pouring over threads but I'm often rather abashed to volunteer my input; first, I'm new, second, the fund of knowledge that so many members here appear to be, make one who is new to formalized horolphilia near-postless at the dire fear of sounding rather stupid.

How is someone like me to persuade a seller that I'm an honest fellow?

I don't buy a lot of things on ebay.
    (12 purchases in two years?)

I post very little.
    (I rarely think my thoughts are worth immortalizing in kilobytes)

I think sending my DL or Passport is ridiculous.

There's got to be a better solution...How can I begin to purchase here if to purchase you've got to have references, but to get references you've got to make purchases. A paradox of watches.

*side note: I made my first purchase on here a few days ago, I'm very hopeful I've not been swindled. I'm excited for it to show, if it does that is.
    tradja, AndyParker and TheMeasure like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kvg View Post
    I think the best you can do is offer to provide all of the information a seller asks of you (within reason--I agree, no sending passport/license photos) and to make every overture that shows you are a legit buyer.

One thing I have found instills confidence in sellers on deals I do is that I ship to my work address. Not only is my work address a secure, "real" location (a law firm and confirmed PayPal address), but it allows the seller to confirm the existence and address of my firm on the web, and to access my profile on the firm's website.

I realize this may not work for you, but it is something I've come up with that seems to work. I acknowledge I have a high post count, but I think my willingness to be transparent about where the watch is going probably does more to get a deal done than my post count.

How about agreeing to a price, seller lists on ebay with a 'buy it now' and the purchaser buys it and pays the sellers fees?
    That way the deal is protected.

There's got to be a better solution...How can I begin to purchase here if to purchase you've got to have references, but to get references you've got to make purchases. A paradox of watches.

*side note: I made my first purchase on here a few days ago, I'm very hopeful I've not been swindled. I'm excited for it to show, if it does that is.

KVG, Sending your DL or Passport is a no-no. ID fraud is rife anyway, why send your life to someone you don't know. Spammers buy and sell email addy's like lollies from the corner store. As an ex cop anyone asks me for a copy of that stuff and I say no thanks, even in a job i/view !!

I agree another method has to be found. The number of Conus only sales for instance, is this because sellers have been scammed and don't want the hassles??
    As I'm in Australia and as a few of my fellow Aussies have pointed out, we all miss out and thats not what WUS is about!

My two cents worth
    Regards to all, Roger
    In memory of the blokes from The Parachute Regiment / 16th Air Assault Bde / UKSF who have been wounded, or gave their lives. "Some Gave All, All gave Some"

As a new and low posting member, I find it rather intimidating attempting to garner these "respectable" post counts. I'm on here pouring over threads but I'm often rather abashed to volunteer my input; first, I'm new, second, the fund of knowledge that so many members here appear to be, make one who is new to formalized horolphilia near-postless at the dire fear of sounding rather stupid.

I don't buy a lot of things on ebay.
    (12 purchases in two years?)

I post very little.
    (I rarely think my thoughts are worth immortalizing in kilobytes)

I agree with this. I am a member of the military, many forums with thousands of posts, have an ebay and purchase 99% of the stuff I do online. This will probably be the only post I ever make outside of "taken" or "you have PM." I am way too busy (I have a 2 year old, work full time, and just finished my BA which the watch is my gift to myself) and have way too many hobbies to establish an "identity" here and am just reading and lurking and looking for my first nice watch. Hopefully when I find the watch I am looking for my low post count doesn't deter the seller too much.

This will be kind of stream of consciousness so bear with me. Also, apologies in advance if anything is a repeat.

If you are buying and preparing to send money for a watch, something else you can do is check out their IP address. Specifically, get the full header on the incoming email, look at the XOriginating IP address (last hop) and run it for location/ISP. At the very least, if the guy says he and his watch are in Iowa, and the IP address comes up as Ukraine- there is an issue.

Try running a Google search for the email address plus the "@" sign but without the domain i.e. search the term "Badguy@." This way, if the bad guy is using multiple domains i.e. GMail, MSN, etc. they will show up. Conversely, if goodguy@hotmail.com shows up with some regularity in other forums, discussions, etc. if may lend creedence to who they are.

Wire transfers = bad juju. Since Western Union can be picked up at a WU location anywhere in the world (at least the last time I checked), don't use them. You may intend for the money to go to a location in Iowa, but the bad guy can cash out in Vancouver.

Some resources:

Internet Crime Complaint Center's prevention tips
    http://www.ic3.gov/preventiontips.aspx

Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm

(They have the link to get the actual free credit report. You can do it online, believe it or not)

Postal Inspection Service Fraud Prevention Videos
    http://www.deliveringtrust.com/

Ultimate White Pages
    http://www.theultimates.com/white/

USDOJ Inmate Locator
    http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/LocateInmate.jsp

Provides information on current inmates, but can also show if someone has been incarcerated within the federal system since 1982. I know it works since one of the guys I arrested several years ago (and has been released) is still listed. It won't tell you the offense. For other states, Google "_______ State Inmate Lookup." Some states will give you the information as to the crime.

Ripoff Report
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/

I'll check my list of open source websites when I get to the office tomorrow and see if I missed anything. There is a lot one can do without running NCIC checks.

Quote Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
    How about agreeing to a price, seller lists on ebay with a 'buy it now' and the purchaser buys it and pays the sellers fees?
    That way the deal is protected.
    This is pretty smart. I wish I had thought of that when I bought a watch here.
    Both parties get protected and both parties increase feedback score when transaction completes.
    Sounds win win to me.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information