WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How to help AVOID being scammed

415K views 72 replies 50 participants last post by  Broker 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
** warning ** scammers alert ** UPDATE

How to AVOID SCAMS

• AS A BUYER
    • · Ask for clear pictures with a specific time or object included.
    • · Ask for the sellers address. Check www.anywho.com to find out if they live where they say they live.
    • · Get their home phone number. Use www.anywho.com and do a reverse lookup to see if the phone is registered in their name.
    • · Call them and talk to them about the watch.
    • · Don't get too excited if you see a great watch at a ridiculously cheap price. It may be a scam.
    • · Be vigilant with new members.
    • · I recommend paying with PayPal using a credit card. It provides an extra layer of protection as long as you don't use the "gift/friends and family" option.
    • · Only use bank wire or certified check if you completely trust the seller. Even then, it is a risk.
    • · Be specific about which shipping method will be used and ask for the tracking number.
    • · Don't ask for the seller to do anything illegal (i.e. reduce value for customs reasons)
    • · Google the member's username and real name online. See what comes up.
    • · Pay for insurance on every watch.
    • · New sellers should comply with all reasonable requests from you (pictures, phone call, etc). If they don't, walk away. If you don't feel comfortable about something, walk away.
    • DO NOT list your email address in your WTB, WTT, or in your sales post and don't take communication to email, if a perspective buyer is found to be a scammer and banned you will not know it.
    • Never sign into a web site that is sent to you by a stranger, even if it looks like WatchUSeek, it could be a phishing site designed to steal your username and password.

AS A SELLER· Ask for references.
  • Check those references. They will give you their best references. Make an inquiry post asking about them.
  • If they give you their EBay username as a reference, contact them through the EBay system and ask them if they are the same person.
  • Check the forums to see what prior deals have looked like for your buyer.
  • Google the username and email address of the buyer. See what comes up.
  • Accept whatever payment you are comfortable with
  • Know all shipping rules if you are shipping internationally.
  • Ask the buyer for their home phone number and call and talk to them. Use www.anywho.com and do a reverse lookup to see if the phone is registered in their name.
  • Check www.anywho.com to find out if they live where they say they live.
  • Don't reduce the value on an international shipment. It may cause you problems at some point. It also may cost you money.
  • Ship the item using a method that allows for insurance, tracking and signature delivery confirmation.
  • Be vigilant with new users.
  • Make sure you indicate whether or not you will refund shipping if a return happens.
  • If someone contacts you about a WTB you have, ask for pictures of that watch with their name written on a piece of paper and the watch near it.
  • DO NOT take communication to email, if the seller is found to be a scammer and banned you will not know it.
  • If the perspective buyer sends you a link that requires you to sign into WatchUSeek don't do it, it's most likely a phishing site designed to steal your username and password.
  • If you feel uncomfortable ask a Moderator or the Admin.
  • If you ever feel uncomfortable just walk away!

See less See more
#65 ·
Scammer warning! Use caution in identifying who you are dealing with;

It has come to our attention that on various Sales Corners around the 'net, WTB ads have been responded to by persons claiming to be specific Watchuseek Members, where the potential Seller attempts to take advantage of positive feedback placed on Watchuseek as reference, to reassure the potential Buyer. Unfortunately, in some cases, the individual proposing the sale is not who they claim to be.

Always take measures in your due diligence to verify that the person you are dealing with is who they claim to be. If they use a Watchuseek account as a reference, contact them through that account via PM. This is not in an of itself a guaranty, but it does go a long way towards verification of an individuals ID (in the cases I am speaking of, this alone either did or would have proven the potential Seller to be a fraud).

Please be careful, do your part to be secure in your dealings, and enjoy your time on the Forums. Happy hunting, and thanks for keeping the Sales Corners a great place to Buy, Sell and Trade!

#68 ·
SCAM WARNING!!!!

Received a response to my WTB from email address oreospike1@gmail.com, this is very similar to reputable WIS, same name different server.
The Scammer is also using the reputable WIS's name, and sent a link to Reputable sellers ref page on another forum. He claims to be in the UK, and stoles images and ad syntax from a FS ad here on WUS from November.

Y'all Be Careful!!!

#69 · (Edited)
#70 ·
Think I just walked into a potential scam for a watch I'm selling. I changed my password within minutes as I signed in by mistake

Got this:

"Hi,

Thanks for your email, Am buying the watch for my birthday

I am ready to proceed with payment and shipping.

Btw Will you be interested in trades, See below for my collections

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/several-watches-up-for-trade.5231736/

Thanks"

His name and email:
David Cote
(I'M A SCAMMER)@gmail.com
David Cote <(I'M A SCAMMER)@gmail.com>
Tue 9/15/2020 7:15 AM

To:
  • You

Hi,

Thanks for your email, Am buying the watch for my birthday

I am ready to proceed with payment and shipping.

Btw Will you be interested in trades, See below for my collections

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/several-watches-up-for-trade.5231736/

Thanks

Got one of these as well

#72 ·
Ebay Buyer Change of Address.

Please be aware that eBay will not protect you as a seller if you ship to an address other than that registered to their account.

Just in case your buyer messages you and says they moved house last month and haven't got round to updating account info.

Should this happen, eBay advise you cancel the sale and tell the potential buyer to update their account, then re-purchase.

No protection is afforded to changes in transactions inc delivery address done through eBay messages.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.