Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best ABC bang for the buck, Casio, Altis, Suunto, other brands ???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Best ABC bang for the buck, Casio, Altis, Suunto, other brands ???

Quote Originally Posted by Guarionex View Post
    I picked up the green one on the left. I wouldn't recommend this color scheme because it kind of hard to read display but I recommend the positive display which is very clear and easy to read.
    I actually LIKE the one on the left better. It's more stealthy looking. Is it noticeably harder to read? How about at night? In direct sun?

It all depends on what angle you look at it. Straight on the glare from the glass reflects your face hiding the digits. At a slight angle you can see them with no issues. Same goes for night time.

Sent from my Garminfone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Here we go
    Best ABC Suunto Core
    Best watch PRG-240 and or PRW-2000
    Best value for money Altis
    Best contrast ratio bar none PRG-40
    Best quality Suunto Elementum Terra, your card wont like this one
    Q-6
    Queen I though you were a fan of the Timex WS4; I see it is not on your list ...

My List:
    Value: Timex WS4
    Field Use: Suunto Core (only by a slight margin over WS4 just b/c I like the sunrise/ sunset feature).
    Alarm/ Timing Features: Timex WS4 (Alarm can be set for day of week, weekday, or weekend; Timer can be set to automatically resume after countdown)
    Best All Rounder: Casio PAW1500 (cannot beat that 200m WR and Tide/ Moon data; in conjunction w/ its other features)
    Best Build Quality: Casio PAW1500
    Most Comfortable: Suunto Core
    Biggest Kudos: Suunto Elementum

Anyway, I picked up a NEW BLUE WS4 for $125.00, that I ended up returning it a few weeks back. I regretted that decision, and this week, I picked up a used ORANGE (mind you it looks brand new) for $60.00.

Common used market prices float around $75.00 LNIB; depending on what color you get -your talking only $112.00... Additionally, IMO the UI on the Timex is the most intuitive and user friendly out of the box. I think you would be hard pressed to find any ABC that comes close to the feature set, accuracy, legibility and price ratio of the TIMEX WS4.

BLUE WS4

ORANGE WS4

Casio PAW1500

Suunto Core Regular Black

Comparison/s:

Elementum Terra:

Last edited by rukrem; June 27th, 2011 at 00:22.
    Rovad Ckovu likes this.
    RukRem

Casio: MRG-1100, G-Shock/s, Pathfinder; Rangeman Debaufre: Air-force, CSAR; Deep-Blue: Master 2000 III; Hamilton: Below Zero PVD & S/S, Khaki Field Mechanical; Lum-Tec: 500M-3, B12; Maratac: Automatic Pilot; Orient/ Star: 300m, Revolver, M-Force Beast, Retro-Future, Pocket-Watch, Bambino; Seiko: Sumo, 7002, SKX, BFK, Stargate; Steinhart: Aviation GMT, Nav B-Uhr, Proteus, Triton; Suunto: Elementum Terra, Core; Timex: Expedition WS4; Tissot: T-touch; Traser: Classic Pro Auto, 6502 Sterile; Victorinox: Titanium Field; Zenton: M45 Destro, V45; Zixen: DSR-1000 GMT, Trimix GMT

Quote Originally Posted by mikeynd View Post
    I always vote Tissot Touch II or the Expert,and i won't hurt your pocket as bad as the Suunto Elementum Terra...It's to much watch anyways.
    The Tissot's touch sensitive crystals are very finicky, I went through three before I gave up ...
    RukRem

Casio: MRG-1100, G-Shock/s, Pathfinder; Rangeman Debaufre: Air-force, CSAR; Deep-Blue: Master 2000 III; Hamilton: Below Zero PVD & S/S, Khaki Field Mechanical; Lum-Tec: 500M-3, B12; Maratac: Automatic Pilot; Orient/ Star: 300m, Revolver, M-Force Beast, Retro-Future, Pocket-Watch, Bambino; Seiko: Sumo, 7002, SKX, BFK, Stargate; Steinhart: Aviation GMT, Nav B-Uhr, Proteus, Triton; Suunto: Elementum Terra, Core; Timex: Expedition WS4; Tissot: T-touch; Traser: Classic Pro Auto, 6502 Sterile; Victorinox: Titanium Field; Zenton: M45 Destro, V45; Zixen: DSR-1000 GMT, Trimix GMT

I only have a Casio Pathfinder 240, an older Casio Pathfinder 80 and a Timex WS-4 - all are good and probably the three cheapest ABC's around, so these would qualify. If forced to pick one, I think I would recommend the Timex WS-4 if you like the looks -
    Doxa 750T Pro, Bernhardt Globemaster, MKII Stingray 50

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by rukrem View Post
    The Tissot's touch sensitive crystals are very finicky, I went through three before I gave up ...
    I've never had that problem, mine works flawlessly.

I totally agree with Queen6+best value for money is Weather master 7(for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Here we go

Best ABC Suunto Core

If you dont need the extended timing features go for a positive LCD display Core, they are lightyears ahead of most and the display is one of the best; clear concise and you can adjust the contrast level in the service menu. Snap on 47 and readability is moving way up my scale 47 already how did that happen, really it`s not fair at all I am only just starting to enjoy my toy`s

Q-6

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6
    Here we go
    Best ABC Suunto Core
    Q-6

Quote Originally Posted by rukrem View Post
    Queen I though you were a fan of the Timex WS4; I see it is not on your list ...
    I omitted the WS4 for several reasons; I have seen them reset first hand and had one lock up requiring a manual reset, the altimeter trend graph is graduated in 1000m blocks, so for many it will simply flatline, the duration of altimeter & barometer is very short for those who want to display trend. Casio`s newer solars display for approximately one hour, PRG-40, Core and Altis are persistant.

I agree that initially the UI is intuitive, however over time I feel it is clumsy and less direct than Suunto or Casio interfaces. You are limited to Timex`s proprietary strap with few options, same for the Altis. Casio & Suunto clearly have several options. The polycarbonate crystal lacks protection, although it can be polished back with ease.

This is not to say the WS4 is a bad ABC and certainly in some regions a cracking deal, in Asia not so much, with prices equaling Casio`s finest, this and the size of the watch. Most will get more wrist time out of say a PRG-240, PRW-2000 or a Core than the more bulkier WS4, although no bigger than a PRG-80 the watch feels and wears much bigger and in general a much larger appearance. All this being said if you can pick one up LNIB for $60 it`s a bargin and they can be very accurate.

One last thing the "Terra" totally agree, more watch than ABC, yet what a watch one of the coolest presently on the market; expensive for an ABC, feels like it`s worth three times the asking price on the wrist, accurate as the Core. if you are on the fence just jump off they are worth it, and for the ABC entusiast dare I say a "Grail"

Q-6

Quote Originally Posted by ThomAsio View Post
    I've never had that problem, mine works flawlessly.
    +2
    Mike

Inactive

Speaking of Altis...

They're not on the Highgear website... Are theu discontinued?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information