Garmin Fenix 5s / 5 / 5x
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5s / 5 / 5x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Garmin Fenix 5s / 5 / 5x

was surfing over at the garmin forums, and stumbled upon a leak from another site.

https://appelmoessite.wordpress.com/...enix-5-and-5s/

judging by their lug widths - the 5s with 20mm / 5 with 22mm / 5x with 26mm - it also implies that there will be 3 diff case sizes...and it seems the 'regular' fenix that most know now has been deemed x-tra large :P

if those are true, then finally i may have a fenix that fits my wrist...
    expected release is apparently Jan 2017.
    Worker, ianm74 and Funwith like this.

Re: Garmin Fenix 5s / 5 / 5x

And every model of the fenix 5 series I have seen so far includes a built-in optical heart rate monitor (OHRM) - that is an epic fail in my opinion. The OHRM results so far in the fenix 3HR have been hit or miss. The general consensus is, if one needs accurate heart rate data during an activity, one should use a chest strap HRM.

I would much rather have seen Garmin offer a model without OHRM and make the case slimmer, or keep the same case dimensions and increase the battery size. Unless a fenix 5 model without OHRM is introduced, I'll be passing on this generation of fenix ... just like I passed on the fenix 3HR.

In any event, my fenix 3 and tactix Bravo continue to do everything I need of them, so no rush to upgrade.

HTH
    brvheart and primus like this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

It seems to me that the varying sizes, options and nomenclature are going to be confusing to the consumer

I saw this over there as well. If true, I like the different cases sizes, too.

Slightly intrigued by the new "quickfit" system, but I hope it doesn't inhibit the use of other straps.
    Last edited by Worker; November 11th, 2016 at 03:55.
    brvheart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    And every model of the fenix 5 series I have seen so far includes a built-in optical heart rate monitor (OHRM) - that is an epic fail in my opinion. The OHRM results so far in the fenix 3HR have been hit or miss. The general consensus is, if one needs accurate heart rate data during an activity, one should use a chest strap HRM.

I would much rather have seen Garmin offer a model without OHRM and make the case slimmer, or keep the same case dimensions and increase the battery size. Unless a fenix 5 model without OHRM is introduced, I'll be passing on this generation of fenix ... just like I passed on the fenix 3HR.

In any event, my fenix 3 and tactix Bravo continue to do everything I need of them, so no rush to upgrade.

HTH
    Hey there! Long time no chat! Which do you prefer over those two? The Fenix 3 or the Tactix Bravo?
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
    Hey there! Long time no chat! Which do you prefer over those two? The Fenix 3 or the Tactix Bravo?
    Short answer is, tactix Bravo. I prefer its 24h chapter ring with subdued "GARMIN" branding, larger Start/Stop button, and black DLC coating on the bezel. Obviously, these are all very subjective choices as the performance of both watches is identical.

HTH
    "So?"

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

I agree about the onboard optical HR on Garmin (and other units) not being the best for exercise, however, I do find the 24 hour trend HR graph useful to monitor long term training/overtraining.

HTH
    I agree about the onboard optical HR on Garmin (and other units) not being the best for exercise, however, I do find the 24 hour trend HR graph useful to monitor long term training/overtraining.
    I also like the ability to have HR on my Garmin for commutes or quick town shopping trips by bike where I don't want to deal with my chest strap.

So if you care about things like long term HR trends, the onboard sensor is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by studiogc View Post

So if you care about things like long term HR trends, the onboard sensor is a good thing.
    If it works.

If your strap is too loose - it won't work.
    If you wear a NATO/Zulu style strap - it won't work (of course, just making the point that strap choices are limited)
    HRV data are not available when using the onboard OHRM - true with any optical HRM, and one could argue that HRV measurement is very helpful when tracking longterm HR trends

If one understands and accepts the limitations, then go for it, but it's not for me.

HTH
    "So?"

I've found that for day to day the hr is pretty accurate. When running, if I strap it much higher -- say to my forearm -- I get much better results. It's on the last hole at that point but it seems more stable in its recordings, even when doing intervals.

I guess that's why the prices for the Fenix 3S have dropped to about $450 at most places.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information