Garmin Fenix - how to upload maps to the unit - Page 4
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Garmin Fenix - how to upload maps to the unit

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Garmin Fenix - how to upload maps to the unit

You can use various, extremely complicated programs to create your own "tile" but if you're working with the supplied tiles, then no.

Re: Garmin Fenix - how to upload maps to the unit

does anyone know if there is a way to take a basemap you have uploaded onto the watch and dowlaod it into basecamp....just so you looking at the same data?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWomble View Post
    does anyone know if there is a way to take a basemap you have uploaded onto the watch and dowlaod it into basecamp....just so you looking at the same data?
    Hi.
    I've never done it (from watch to basecamp). But i've seen instructions here:

How To Open Maps In Garmin BaseCamp - GPSFileDepot
    How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit - GPSFileDepot

Hey guys. I want the map of Belgium on my Fenix and i treid it with:
    I have extended cover of fenix maps to full world. Size of all mapping data is about 3.3GB, divided into over 2800 tiles.
    Maps for Garmin fenix | GMapTool

But that doesn't work ... the Fenix can take about 20 mb and the BeNeLux map is about 56 mb???

Getting a bit confused here ... can anyone write a simple 'step by step' how to?

Thanks ...

The problem with implementing maps on the FEnix is that your tracks become invisible, it is impossbile to see clearly the track on your FEnix if you have implemented a map. Unless Garmin will implement an on/off map function on the Fenix, using a map will be unfortunately useless.

Quote Originally Posted by guzzio View Post
    Hey guys. I want the map of Belgium on my Fenix and i treid it with:
    I have extended cover of fenix maps to full world. Size of all mapping data is about 3.3GB, divided into over 2800 tiles.
    Maps for Garmin fenix | GMapTool

But that doesn't work ... the Fenix can take about 20 mb and the BeNeLux map is about 56 mb???

Getting a bit confused here ... can anyone write a simple 'step by step' how to?

Thanks ...
    Hey, just done this myself (for NZ). I downloaded the Oceanania file. Then i downloaded a program that was able to unzip the "7-zip" or ".7z" file, once unzipped i was able to open up Mapinstaller under "garmin" in your start menu and select the tiles you would like to create a .img file of, once this .img is stalled i changed the name to "gmapsupp.img" and it was done

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Falconeye75 View Post
    The problem with implementing maps on the FEnix is that your tracks become invisible, it is impossbile to see clearly the track on your FEnix if you have implemented a map. Unless Garmin will implement an on/off map function on the Fenix, using a map will be unfortunately useless.
    I can see my track over the top of the base map without any trouble at all....

Do you know if a big map is consumming more battery than a small one or even without any map ?

I don't know if it is coming from my customized map (8 MB) or from FW 3.10 but Fenix is consumming more battery even without any sensors on or GPS activities.

It is NOT impossible to see the tracks clearly, on the contrary, it is quite easy to see them standout against detailed maps by simply choosing the track and then selecting "GO," thereafter you simply PAN or ZOOM to it and you can see the entire track highlighted in thick lines in excellent contrast to the detailed map.

A good tip to review tracks from the watch, is to also create a waypoint for the track (I generally create one to know where my camping tent is at), that way when you are not physically near the track that you want to view, all you do is put the watch in "DEMO" mode, then "Start GPS," then select the waypoint nearest to the track, and select "Go," then when it asks "Simulate Driving?" simply scroll down and select "Move to Location" and after that select your track, then "Go" and you'll be able to view your highlighted track against a detailed map, even if it was created in another country far from where you are at. BTW, if you only saved your tracks in FIT format, then it will require an extra step, which is "Save as Track."

Do you know if a big map is consumming more battery than a small one or even without any map ?

I don't know if it is coming from my customized map (8 MB) or from FW 3.10 but Fenix is consumming more battery even without any sensors on or GPS activities.
    It has been the opposite for me, the battery lasts a lot longer than what the Fenix specs dictate, even though I use it with the Garmin premium Heart Rate Monitor, Footpod, and have detailed maps from different countries that are all on the same "gmapsupp.img," in addition to the original basemap: "gmapbmap.img" that came with my Fenix.

Perhaps, you either have a defective watch or you have not been taking advantage of the highly customization options of the watch. What I mean is I take advantage of the different Fenix profiles, as I do hiking, long trail runs, indoor gym, and even use it to record some drives. So, I customized my profiles, as follows:

HIKING: GPS Mode "UltraTrac," Sensors "Always On," Heart Rate Monitor "OFF," Footpod "OFF," Output: "GPX/FIT"

RUNNING: "1 sec" Recording, GPS Mode "Normal," WAAS "ON," Sensors "On Demand," Heart Rate Monitor "ON," Footpod "ON," Output: "FIT"

INDOOR: GPS Mode "Indoor," Sensors "On Demand," Heart Rate Monitor "ON," Footpod "ON," Output: "FIT"

WATCH: Tracks-Method "Auto," Interval "Normal," GPS Mode "Normal," WAAS "OFF," Sensors "On Demand," Heart Rate Monitor "OFF," Footpod "OFF," Output: "FIT"

I created the last two profiles to make it easy to switch among my most frequent activities, so most of the time, my Fenix profile is set to "WATCH." As an example on a typical hiking weekend: when I'm driving to a forest, I record my drive whilst in the "WATCH" profile, then I change it to HIKING, when I start my hike, and then make a waypoint where I'm camping; thereafter, when I go for a trail run, I switch it to "RUNNING" and when I get back to my tent, I switch it back to "WATCH" and by simply switching between profiles, I get amazing battery life, it has even lasted me over a week of camping in the woods without recharging. Even though, I take other backup GPS units, I have never needed to use them! This is an incredible watch that is even more accurate and precise than my old handheld GPS.

Another good tip is to also create a different "Time Layout" page for each of the profiles so that you always know which profile the Fenix is set to, so that every time you just look at the time you'll know whether it's on the correct profile: WATCH, INDOOR, etc.

If you still keep having battery problems, you should simply exchange it for a new unit. Hope this helps you.
    YellowLemon likes this.

Hi Lhrord,

you are masterizing the Fenix !!! Thanks for all you advices. I d'ont have a lot of profile just one taht I customized and to switch to indoor mode, I am just changing GPS mode to select indoor and I have HEart = on and footpod =on. Yesteday with just Heart rate monitor, It tooks 6% battery draining for 1 hour and 30 minutes. It seems it is not consistent and the battery draining seems more important below 80%. Maybe my watch has a problem... Maybe it is better to creat an indoor profile instead of changing GPS mode all the time. I will try this. I have always output selcted as GPX and never Fit (GPX is more standard)

How much is your MAP inside your FEnix ? I have a 8 MB in my Fenix, maybe, it is too heavy ?

Thanks again for all your help and your tips !!

... I have always output selcted as GPX and never Fit (GPX is more standard)

How much is your MAP inside your FEnix ? I have a 8 MB in my Fenix, maybe, it is too heavy ?

Thanks again for all your help and your tips !!
    I only use GPX when Hiking, and FIT for everything else. FIT is newer and much more efficient than GPX as it takes minimal space (e.g., a 1630 KB GPX file only takes 160 KB in FIT format) and can be easily uploaded to other sport apps, such as Strava, Endomondo, Runkeeper, etc. Additionally, it saves your "Activities" way faster than GPX and can easily be converted to GPX, TCX, etc. In fact, since the Fenix itself is able to convert FIT to GPX on the fly, you could still use FIT for Hiking and then convert to GPX if you need to do a "Tracback."

Your detailed map is fine at 8 MB; mine is 9.7 MB which includes 4 different countries, plus, I have several POIs with all London Tube stations, several subways of other major cities and still no battery problems.

I suspect your battery problems may either stem from the fact that you are not taking advantage of the "Profiles" functionality, which is central to the overall operational efficiency of the Fenix, or you simply received a damaged/under-performing unit, as you frequently mention that you have accuracy problems. When I'm trail running in open spaces without tree cover, my Fenix "Accuracy" reading has displayed 18-20 ft (5.5-6 m) and even when it displays more than 65 ft (20m), it still shows my location very accurately, even on the correct side of the street; so, to me what is most important is having accurate tracks displayed, rather than the displayed "accuracy" readings. Hope this helps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information