Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts

How to: Downloading/Uploading tracks & waypoints usinc BaseCamp MOBILE

I have been able to upload/download tracks & waypoints on the move from/to the Fenix to/from the cloud using BaseCamp mobile 2.0 iOS app.
    But the procedure if far from "intuitive" ...
    1) get online on the iOS device (I have to use 3G/WiFi tethering from my Android smartphone because I have the wifi only iPad mini)
    2) launch your BaseCamp mobile app and log into your myGarmin cloud account.
    3) pair/link the fenix and your iOS BT40 device as usual.
    4) once you see your fenix resident tracks & waypoints listed on the basecamp mobile's "device" tab then do "edit" the one that you want to upload but the, instead of renaming it, just tap "COPY" !... No questions are asked (copy to where? with what name? etc) nor any confirmation of transfer success is given but... then you go to your "My colecction" tab and that item you just "COPY"ed is there allready !

To load an item (track/waypoint) from your myGarmin cloud collection into the fenix you just have to "EDIT"+"COPY" that item from the "My collection" tab and it will show up on fenix "My device" tab.

At least now I have a method to clear up (or backup) the log memory of my fenix before I return home to a PC with full BaseCamp sofware. Too bad an online connection is still required to achive this, I would much prefer to be able to store/copy the tracks localy on the iPad. I can do that using the OTG USB cable of my smartphone but I find myself mostly leaving the fenix cable/craddle at home, so this 100% wireless method is greatly welcomed.

Edit: screen captures of the cloud -> fenix procedure, red dots on where to tap
    Name:  fotografia 01.PNG
Views: 1362
Size:  100.4 KB Name:  fotografia 02.PNG
Views: 1372
Size:  260.3 KB Name:  fotografia 03.PNG
Views: 1363
Size:  114.5 KB Name:  fotografia 04.PNG
Views: 1371
Size:  91.9 KB Name:  fotografia 05.PNG
Views: 1359
Size:  130.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by reciprocum; December 25th, 2013 at 16:11.

Re: How to: Downloading/Uploading tracks & waypoints usinc BaseCamp MOBILE

Hi guys i have been reading this thread for about 1 month now and now i bought my new tactix, this thread helped me to know more about the Garmin Fenix and also cause of DCRainmaker, i just wanted to thank all you guys who made it clear and for giving more information about the watch.

And i have use my tactix this morning inside a car and with a cloudy and rainy day, i haven't experience this watch in this kind of weather but i just found out that on this case the watch have problem connecting to the satellite, it take about idk how many mins but its like 10 or 5mins before it connected.

And i don't know if you guys have already tried the street map, cause theres a guy who have manage to put a street map on his fenix, and i also tried to put it on my tactix and follow his instruction but i can't seems to make it work, i still have a blank map without the street view on my tactix, can anyone help me on how to put and what is the right way and what is the right one to put inside the watch, thank you in advance and happy holiday guys! ^_^

BTW: here is the link - Using Street Maps on the Garmin fenix to Explore Cities in Asia Garmin Blog

Re: Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts

Quote Originally Posted by schneesb View Post
    Received my Tactix today..(order from REI). My primary interest is being able to upload a waypoint to the watch while out in the field...is anybody aware of an Android app compatible with a Galaxy S-IV or even a direct way to do that on the watch itself without having to take a laptop on a hike?
    if You are willing to edit native XML files use an OTG USB cable to get full direct access to fenix's file system from your S4. I have posted about this 1y ago in this thread (post #564).

EDIT: link to that previous post Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts
    Last edited by reciprocum; December 28th, 2013 at 19:59. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocum View Post
    Update on the spontaneous infinite reboot loop bug: yesterday I had definite proof of what causes it on my fenix (latest firmware). It happens when I have a predefined max altitude alert (vibro+sound) and I reach it .
    I realised that my previous 2 instances of this event happend while flying at about same height, so yesterday I changed the alarm heigth to a diferent value and BINGO, Fenix crashed when that altitude was exactly reached.
    Even in the surviving track file I could verify the exact value logged before the file/track ended.
    Crossing the height alarm boundary from bellow to above causes the Fenix to crash and reboot in an infinite loop (need to press power off very long time to recover), crossing the boundary from above to bellow doesn't crashes but also cuts the track file and stops the tracking, you have to restart a new track. So I ended up with my flight recorded in 3 segments, ruining my flight stats, and with 2 bits missing (the time I was struggling to ressuscitate it back to life).
    I have concluded the spontaneous rebooting is not caused by any software bug but rather by the batery not being able to cope with the extra current draw demand that the vibro+light+sound alarm triggering imposes on top of the allready high current being drawn by having the GPS "on" and logging track to file at 1hz.
    Last edited by reciprocum; December 28th, 2013 at 19:55.

Finally got to open my Christmas present 😄

Updated the software to 4.02 beta and GPS 2.80 without a hitch. Paired with an iPhone 5 for notifications easily as well. Loaded OSM maps for southern Australia. This took a bit of fiddling to work out the combination of Basecamp, Mapsource and the map files but finally worked. Not sure that I can repeat it though😣

Transferred some geocaches from Geocaching.com using the instructions from GadgetNerdly which worked perfectly. Very accurate and discrete.

Battery life is as expected 2% over 24hr with GPS and Bluetooth off. Much faster with both on so will use as required.

Getting the tide tables from the Quatix would be great. I notice that Jumpmaster (from Tactix FW?) is present.

Wore it with a suit today. Had to undo the button on the shirt cuff so it wasn't so obvious and probably won't wear it everyday. Better than I expected though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahg

Re: Garmin fenix - recording distance with speed/cadence sensor

I am using the Fenix to do some indoor cycling, and I am struggling to get the distance recorded with the cadence/speed sensor. I have set in the profile the GPS to "indoor", and in the fitness menu, the Bike Speed to "indoor". I can configure a data page to see my speed, but when saving my FIT file, there is no distance.
    Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?
    I am in version 3.7
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ahg; January 3rd, 2014 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
    Finally got to open my Christmas present 

Updated the software to 4.02 beta and GPS 2.80 without a hitch. Paired with an iPhone 5 for notifications easily as well. Loaded OSM maps for southern Australia. This took a bit of fiddling to work out the combination of Basecamp, Mapsource and the map files but finally worked. Not sure that I can repeat it though

Transferred some geocaches from Geocaching.com using the instructions from GadgetNerdly which worked perfectly. Very accurate and discrete.

Battery life is as expected 2% over 24hr with GPS and Bluetooth off. Much faster with both on so will use as required.

Getting the tide tables from the Quatix would be great. I notice that Jumpmaster (from Tactix FW?) is present.

Wore it with a suit today. Had to undo the button on the shirt cuff so it wasn't so obvious and probably won't wear it everyday. Better than I expected though.

hey, can you give an explanation on how to get the notifications to work with iphone, what kind of notifications? got a 5s for xmas so happy to have a play

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWomble View Post
    hey, can you give an explanation on how to get the notifications to work with iphone, what kind of notifications? got a 5s for xmas so happy to have a play
    On the Fenix (this is for beta 4.02):
    Setup
    Bluetooth
    Pair the phone (only need to do this the first time)
    Notifications - select on or when GPS on or off etc.

On the iPhone:
    Settings
    Notification Centre
    Include.....here you decide what gets transferred to the Fenix eg SMS but not email etc.

Let me know if that's not clear. It only appeared as an option in 4.02, not 4.0.

4.05 has been out for a few days now.

Ahg

Re: Garmin fenix - recording distance with speed/cadence sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Ahg View Post
    I am using the Fenix to do some indoor cycling, and I am struggling to get the distance recorded with the cadence/speed sensor. I have set in the profile the GPS to "indoor", and in the fitness menu, the Bike Speed to "indoor". I can configure a data page to see my speed, but when saving my FIT file, there is no distance.
    Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?
    I am in version 3.7
    Thanks
    Well, I got the answer myself!
    In the fitness menu, I had footpod option as indoor as well. Although this should not be an issue, because in the fitness menu I am selecting Cycling and not Running, the Fenix seems to ignore the Cycling choice and looks for the footpod, and as there is non, does not register distance. It shows speed though. A SW bug, I guess, but it is overcame by selecting footpod off.

Thread Information