Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts - Page 58
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts

Page 58 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast
    reciprocum

Re: Garmin fenix - Full file access trough Android smartphone + charging too !

... storage of activities isn't a real problem on the Fenix as its internal memory is enough for about 5000h of activities with .fit only and 400h with .fit+.gpx. This is enough for most users. ...
    (I did read the whole thread, that is why I end up buying the Fenix)
    Then all the users wishing Garmin's Base Camp mobile iOs APP would allow them to store Fenix's tracks localy also missed this bit of info

Ever deleted the wrong track ?... Now you can back them all up before you go on a purging session
    I can imagine so many situations where pairing a smartphone with direct/full read/write access to Fenix's file system would be usefull ...
    Last edited by reciprocum; October 11th, 2012 at 00:40.
    jbadilla likes this.

Re: Garmin fenix - A Review in Several Parts

I can confirm the Garmin Fenix is readable from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, using a USB adapter Galaxy TabTM Adapter (USB) (remove 10.1)
    Name:  IMG_7558 (Small).JPG
Views: 8050
Size:  48.4 KB

Check out this two apps for Garmin units connected to tablets:
    https://play.google.com/store/search...ablette&c=apps
    reciprocum likes this.

If you accept to carry a smartphone with enough batteries, you don't need the Fenix, most smartphones have the GPS and magnetic compass inside and you can find apps doing what the Fenix does and much more. The reason to use something like a fenix is to avoid to take/use a smartphone.

reciprocum

Quote Originally Posted by jipe View Post
    If you accept to carry a smartphone with enough batteries, you don't need the Fenix, most smartphones have the GPS and magnetic compass inside and you can find apps doing what the Fenix does and much more. The reason to use something like a fenix is to avoid to take/use a smartphone.
    Nope, I have a smartphone with a gorgeous 5.3" display, all the GPS and APPs I want, and the reason I bought the Fenix is because I can't use the smartphone (safely) while kayaking, riding my bycicle, motorcicling, hiking, running, climbing, flying my Powered ParaGlider, flying my HangGlider, flying sailplanes, sailing, etc

And yes, I do carry the smartphone with me on all these situations for many various reasons:
    - call 911 (I have done so once after I crashed, Nokia E90 back then, probably save my life as I was alone).
    - call my retrieve/family after I land/arrive.
    - take an ocasional picture/video.
    - listen to some music on the breaks.
    - safety tweet/SMS my current whereabouts & status.
    - live broadcast my track (Glympse APP, big BAT sucker, main reason why I need a spare BAT) so that my retrieve can follow me on the ground.
    - get the weather forecast for the next day.
    - share some previous adventure's/trip's pictures tracks and videos with the day's buddies.
    - tent torch light (another BAT sucker).

The smartphone does provide a good plan-B backup for Fenix, with it's colour maps and satelite imagery (if you have coverage), but it has the major disadvantage (besides the poor direct sunlight readability and high intolerance to salt/splashes/drizzle/rain/sand/dust/mud) of forcing you to stop wathever you are doing to hold it with one hand, and tap the screen with the other.
    There are nonetheless two activities that are still offlimits for both the Fenix and the smartphone: skydiving & scuba-diving

So, since I allready carry the Fenix, the smartphone and the spare BAT, now the only to-carry-or-not-to-carry decision I have to make is concerning the Fenix USB cable (probably will take it, but leave it in the car/tent, not carry in the back-pack).
    Last edited by reciprocum; October 11th, 2012 at 21:31.
    jbadilla and rustislove like this.

Ahg

I have been trying to get an answer from Garmin support to the questions below, but they always turn around the questions without giving a straight answer.
    Maybe someone has the answers?

1- The watch has two ways of getting altitude readings, barometer and gps. When in auto-calibrate off, I understand that only one of both readings is considered. Do you know which one? When in auto-calibrating on, do you know what kind of corrections are made? in other words what is the algorithm that combines both readings? I don't see how the GPS reading can improve the barometric reading other than telling it not to change because there was no horizontal movement?
    2- If I understood well, the 910XT has a feature that allows the altimeter to be automatically (not manually) calibrated to the altitude of saved waypoints when detecting a position close enough to them. I think this is great, and I am asking if they intend to implement this, without any answer.
    Last edited by Ahg; October 11th, 2012 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahg View Post
    When in auto-calibrating on, do you know what kind of corrections are made? in other words what is the algorithm that combines both readings? I don't see how the GPS reading can improve the barometric reading other than telling it not to change because there was no horizontal movement?
    I can only give a rough answer, not really knowing what Garmin has implemented.

Note that altitude as measured by the barometer is only a relative height. It needs to be referenced to some known altitude. This needs to be redone as the local weather changes barometric pressure. (Weather change will change barometric pressure even at the same altitude...)

Anyway, my simplistic answer is... the gps is used to get an absolute reference for the barometric altimeter. It can also help to reduce weather related changes that are not altitude changes (as you suggest in your second question I quoted.)

Unfortunately, gps altitude error is fairly high as well, so it is kind of a trade off using it to reference the baro altimeter, but is probably the easiest way to get a semi-automatic, somewhat accurate altitude.

reciprocum

Quote Originally Posted by cobrapa View Post
    Unfortunately, gps altitude error is fairly high as well, so it is kind of a trade off using it to reference the baro altimeter...
    GPS altitude may not be required at all: if the role of the GPS ref is to tell Fenix «Hey, I am back to that spot where last time my user told me the altitude is X, so I will recalibrate my barometric altitude to X again».
    If this is the way GPS ref is used for altitude auto-calibration, then one must be carefull not to calibrate it too near to (the base of) a steep cliif we intend to climb or we risk later being on the top of that cliff (only a small horizontal distance from the calibration spot) and, due to GPS horizontal positioning error, the Fenix will think it's back to the calibration point and reset the barometric altitude to the one at the bottom of the cliff.
    Last edited by reciprocum; October 12th, 2012 at 08:07.

Finally Garmin answered my question with the 2.7 firmware. A basic but mandatory feature has appeared:

Added Off Course alert (Alerts>Distance>Off Course).

Uaaauu!!! It took some time. The Fenix has just reentered my Christmas gift list. Now I'm waiting for the Ambit upgrade regarding courses.... Let's see what comes around. The problem is, my heart is not big enough for two princesses...

Thanks to this thread I got my Fenix today. Now the rereading of this thread begins.

Thread Information